Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-04-2008, 12:42 PM   #1
CarrieAnn0413
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
? for those who have used or are using EPO

I am 35 wks and was in to see my mw. She told me to pick up some red raspberry leaf tea and some EPO. I bought both and started drinking the tea tues, so I am on day 3 of tea (which is yummy I was surprised i liked it). I didnt take any of the EPO until last night. I can't swallow those huge things so they are being inserted you know where. So after putting in the first one last night dh said "now dont wake me up tonight in labor" being sarcastic of course. I didnt think much of it since my mw said the EPO and the tea just get you ready for labor they wont put you in labor. I woke up this morning feeling nauseus (sp?) and although not necessarily related it made me nervous. so I started looking up info on the EPO and most of what I saw said not to start it until 37 wks, then I did a search for old threads on here and saw some mamas saying they went into labor a wk or so after starting the EPO. Even one mama started it at 36 wks and went into labor by 37, yikes! that is fast. So I am hesitant to take anymore just yet. If my body is ready, I don't think the rest of me is. It may be because I am a bit worried about it and wondering when I should start taking it but then around noon I started feeling a little crampy. I dont know what bh contractions or natural contractions feel like (I was induced with dd so I only know nasty pitocin contractions) so I have no clue what to expect when I do into labor (yet another small worry that I may not recognize it right away)

ok Had to stop myself from all the rambling, so sorry. If you made it this far I have a couple questions.

If you have used EPO with past pg's...
when did you start using it (how many wks)?
orally or vaginally?
when did you go into labor and/or show signs that labor was on its way (mucus plug, water broke...)?

If you are currently using it....
orally or vaginally?
have you felt any changes in your body since starting?
how long have you been taking it?

any other info would be great too.

I think I will be waiting another week or more before inserting anymore but would like to know others experiences. TIA

Adding this in case it matters. My mw said to take 1500 mg of the EPO so I bought the ones with that much so I only take (insert) 1 caspsule and get the full dose.

Advertisement

Last edited by CarrieAnn0413; 09-04-2008 at 03:06 PM.
CarrieAnn0413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 02:22 PM   #2
brandislee
Registered Users
seller

Re: ? for those who have used or are using EPO

I am curious about this, too. My midwife suggested I start it this week, as well (looks like we're due at the same time!), but I just haven't bought any yet. Didn't know you could do it vaginally... maybe it's more effective that way?

If you're worried, don't take it! It's not necessary. Your body will be ready without it, and the tea will help. I love the tea, too. Wish I could say the same for the Mother's Milk teas... I HATE anise.

If anyone knows if it's more effective vaginally than orally, let me know!
brandislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 02:34 PM   #3
kateri25
Registered Users

My Mood:

I took EPO only. I started probably week 36 took it orally only!! I really don't think it did much for me that way. I will take it orally this time starting around 30 weeks, if I take it vaginally I will not do so until week 37.

I took it only as directed on the bottle I think two a day orally. I gave birth went into labor natually at 39weeks and 5 days had her at 39weeks and 6days.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:04 PM   #4
CarrieAnn0413
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandislee View Post
I am curious about this, too. My midwife suggested I start it this week, as well (looks like we're due at the same time!), but I just haven't bought any yet. Didn't know you could do it vaginally... maybe it's more effective that way?

If you're worried, don't take it! It's not necessary. Your body will be ready without it, and the tea will help. I love the tea, too. Wish I could say the same for the Mother's Milk teas... I HATE anise.

If anyone knows if it's more effective vaginally than orally, let me know!

I told my mw that I didnt think I would be able to swallow these pills so she said to use them vaginally, but didnt say to wait longer. But from what I am reading online you can start it earlier orally but vaginally should be around 37 wks. I am assuming it does more when done vaginally since it is coming in direct contact, but that is just my guess. I plan to try it but not until I am a bit further along, just in case it works better for me than my mw is expecting.

I haven't tried the mother's milk tea...what is that for? From the name I would guess bfing.

Oh and just to add, I am really liking the red raspberry leaf tea chilled, mmmmm.....ice tea. I add a bit of sugar to mine as well. I can drink it with a meal as ice tea so it is easier to drink enough of it.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:26 PM   #5
diane24
Registered Users

My Mood:

I started taking it at like 38 weeks. I didn't go into labor until 42. I ws supposed to take 1500 but could only find 1000mg caps so I took those 2 times a day instead of 500mg 3 times a day (much easier to swallow than the 1500mg caps). I also inserted 2-3 "down there" depending on how flexible I was feeling that night.
When I went into labor I started having contractions 3-4 hours later I lost my mucus plug. My water did not break until 15mins (approx) before DD was born.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:18 PM   #6
localuna
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieAnn0413 View Post
If you have used EPO with past pg's...
orally or vaginally?
when did you go into labor and/or show signs that labor was on its way (mucus plug, water broke...)?

[/COLOR]
I drank RRL tea 2nd and 3rd trimesters with all pregnancies. I took EPO orally and vaginally starting at 36 weeks. Neither was which put me into labor. I was 3 days late with my first and 1 week early with my second (induced due to BP issues).

I'm currently drink RRL tea now. Sometimes two bags a day. It's great for toning the uterus.

The things about RRL tea and EPO is that they aren't magic things that make you go into labor. They supplement and help things along. If your body is ready- it will go into labor. Nothing else will just spring it into labor.
localuna is offline   Reply With Quote