Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-27-2017, 03:18 PM   #1
Spunkify
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Instant Pot, what do I do with it?

My mother bought my one of these (model IP-LUX60 V3) for Christmas. She's really big into things with multiple uses because they travel full time and live in an RV. She ordered herself one but didn't "play" with it before coming out here for Christmas. She wants me to play with it, figure things out, etc. i didn't want one, didn't ask for it, and have no idea what to do with it.

I love being in the kitchen to make and bake things but it just seems to complicate something as simple as steaming veggies on the stove or stuff I could normally do in the Crock Pot, which I love. I scanned the thread here from 2014 and saw beans mentioned often but we don't eat beans or hard boiled eggs (unless it's Easter time). We don't eat seafood or fish either. I also looked in the recipe book and out of 30 recipes we'd only eat 12.

HELP!

Advertisement

Spunkify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 04:33 PM   #2
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Instant Pot, what do I do with it?

The beauty of it is than you can walk away from it and reduce cooking time to minutes instead of hours like the slow cooker.

Also the food will be tender but veggies don't disintegrate completely like they do at times in a slow cooker.

So if you ever forget to put dinner in the slow cooker or are uncomfortable about leaving an appliance on while you are out this might come in handy.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:10 AM   #3
Spunkify
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The slow cooker I use often, especially during cold weather for hot food season, because I can set it and forget about it all day.

I think the issue here is we have to totally different cooking styles. She doesn't care much for cooking or being in the kitchen and I love being in the kitchen. The oven part of their RV kitchen she doesn't like so she saw the Instant Pot and thought it would be a great alternative.

I've been browsing the internet and have found a few additional things I can try but need to by the steamer basket or other accessory for but I think if it wasn't a gift I would probably return it.
Spunkify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:59 AM   #4
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have heard people rave all about the instant pot. So much so that I impulse bought one and asked everyone what to make. The most common answer was boiled eggs. I totally don't need an $80 pot to make eggs. I looked up some other stuff but I guess I am pretty content with my current cooking methods because after leaving it in the box for a week I sent it back.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:50 AM   #5
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
I have heard people rave all about the instant pot. So much so that I impulse bought one and asked everyone what to make. The most common answer was boiled eggs. I totally don't need an $80 pot to make eggs. I looked up some other stuff but I guess I am pretty content with my current cooking methods because after leaving it in the box for a week I sent it back.

Boiled eggs????? 🤢
MamaChirpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 12:11 PM   #6
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChirpy View Post
Boiled eggs????? 🤢
You'd be surprised how many people said that! I was like...um...boiled eggs don't take that long on the stove. Why is the instant pot better for that? One lady said it didn't take any less time, but she liked them better. Someone else said her eggs always had greenish yolks when she did them on the stove, and they don't in the instant pot. My eggs come out fine on the stove, so I guess I'm ok.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 04:05 PM   #7
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Insta Pot is one of those appliances I want but I don't even know why lol. The thing I've heard most is for rice.
kmrotski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 04:22 PM   #8
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

I use mine all the time for beans, but if I didn't eat beans I'm not sure what I'd do with it. Cooked pork in it the other day....

This website has tons of ideas for Instant Pot cooking and her recipes are really good and simple.
Old 12-28-2017, 04:26 PM   #9
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Just saw this on FB too, some of the recipes look really good.

30 Clean Eating Instant Pot Recipes
Old 12-28-2017, 11:55 PM   #10
brigala
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We use our instant pot every day. Seriously.

Sure, it's great for boiled eggs - I *constantly* forget my eggs are on the stove and boil them dry. I'm such a klutz in the kitchen in general. So I only use the IP for them now... but I only make boiled eggs 2 or 3 times a year so I totally don't keep this thing around for just that! It's a good thing to start with because it's easy, and it's best to work up to more complicated things gradually.

One of my husband's favorite recipes is a shrimp risotto. He's the chef in the family! He doesn't make it too often because it requires such careful attention in the kitchen the whole time. He tried it in the IP for the first time a couple weeks ago and it came out PERFECT with no baby-sitting on the stove required. In fact, we both agreed it tasted better than when it's done on the stove - I think because the rice cooked more evenly, and the shrimp was done to perfection; somehow even when it cooks longer under pressure, it doesn't get overcooked like is so easy to do on the stove. Maybe because the pressure keeps it moist? I don't know.

We make a lot of soups, stews, and chili in the IP.

If we aren't making a main dish in the IP, we're using it for one of the sides like rice or mashed potatoes. It makes mashed potatoes super easy because you can use a lot less liquid - only a cup for however many potatoes you're cooking - and you can skip the step of having to drain them. Just mash them right in the pot and add milk/butter as desired. I *love* it for doing side dishes because I can program it and forget it, and focus entirely on my main dish, whatever that is, and not worry about whether I remembered to adjust the temperature or stir or turn off the heat under the rice/potatoes/whatever.

Anything you cook that normally takes a long time, such as beets or sweet potatoes or dry beans, take a lot less time in the IP.

Anything you can make in the crock pot starting it at 9 AM can be made in the IP starting it at 4 or 5 PM.

You can put stuff frozen solid into the IP and it self-adjusts the necessary time; program it the same way whether your pork loin (for example) starts out thawed or frozen, and it will automatically start by defrosting your hunk of meat and will start the timer when the cooking actually begins. So yeah, it will take longer but you don't have to figure out on your own how much longer.

Most anything you would want to cook well done under the broiler or on the BBQ can be pre-cooked in the IP so you can put it under the broiler or on the fire for less time, and it comes out much more tender and moist. We ALWAYS pressure cook our ribs now before finishing them on the BBQ, and I've had great luck pre-cooking chicken leg quarters and then crisping them under the broiler. This is especially handy if your meat is frozen to start with, since the IP will both defrost and pre-cook the meat.

Oh, and it makes the BEST cheesecake, because steaming a cheesecake keeps it moist and gives it the perfect texture. Much easier and more foolproof than a waterbath in the oven.
brigala is offline   Reply With Quote