Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-01-2011, 07:18 PM   #1
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Breech baby question?

I'm 37w, 38w on Friday.....

Last night I felt a really uncomfortable movement and looked down to see baby had moved entirely to one side of my stomach, like the left side had what looked like a huge ball sticking out.

Ever since, baby has been on the left side completely. All movement is on the left side to the middle, right side feels more "empty".

I'm wondering if the little stinker could have flipped, gone transverse or something

My stomach doesn't look like he could be sideways, but the movement is completely different than last few weeks.

Anyone who had any kind of breech baby.......just wondering how the movement felt of looked? Does a breech baby look different? I'm all tummy, like a basketball out in front, but more oval.....

I don't see the ob until Friday, so praying he is still head down as previous weeks.

Advertisement

Old 11-01-2011, 07:52 PM   #2
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Breech baby question?

It doesn't sound like a breech, but the shape you're describing does sound like a transverse to me mama I'm no doctor though, definitely go in! They can do an external version to try and move the babies position, it's pretty effective. GL!

ETA: If you want to, feel around your belly. You should be able to find a babies head with your fingers at 38w unless his head is engaged in your pelvis. Where are you feeling kicks?

Last edited by bigmamakelsey; 11-01-2011 at 07:54 PM.
bigmamakelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:04 PM   #3
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Waiting till Friday and asking your provider is probably the best bet. A breech (or transverse) baby at 37-38wks isn't a medical emergency unless you're in labor. I've had 2, and this one may be as well. I'm only 33+wks and have until the end of the month to get him to turn and stay turned or else we go to an external version. There are risks involved with that and only a SKILLED provider should do it. Only a few in my area really do that and I was lucky last time that even though I had a successful, and then failed, version that my baby went head down again on his own and I was able to induced and deliver vaginally. The same thing happened with my 3rd around 38wks. I had no idea he was breech until my MW did a quick scan. Even she thought he was vertex but thankfully she did the scan.
Anyway, it's definitely uncomfortable when the baby turns but without an u/s there is really no way to "know" how your baby is positioned.
I would just tell your provider on Friday that the baby has been moving differently and you want to be sure baby isn't breech or transverse and they'll most likely to a quick u/s in the office, if your office has one. If baby is not head down than they'll probably talk to you about a version or how you want to proceed. If that's successful they may just have you wait it out until you deliver. Some dr's just go straight to a c/s for a breech baby. It's really kinda hit or miss.
Good luck and KUP!!
Old 11-01-2011, 08:19 PM   #4
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks ladies, I was actually just googling and figuring out what I meant was transverse. I suppose I was confusing "not head down" with breech, but they are different things.

I'll wait until Friday as I've already had a nightmare this week trying to schedule that apt! DH's schedule keeps changing and is driving me crazy as it's hard to get a last min apt at the ob.

Just so strange as it's now been 24hrs and still have a "lump" on my left(think I said right earlier, but mean left). I also think he's moving differently and can't remember any low cervix kicks or pressure etc today.

Lets hope I'm being paranoid.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:01 PM   #5
meldo
Registered Users
seller
seller

My second DD was frank breech and she was basically all folded up on my left side. She was like that for a while and my OB and I thought she was head down instead of bum down until my first internal exam. I wouldn't worry too much about it though. Could be that he's head down in a similar position.
Most likely nak!
meldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:17 PM   #6
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Have you felt any kicks?

DS flipped head down at 21 weeks and stayed that way, but towards the end (last 3-4 weeks) he smashed his butt and back up against my left side - what you're describing sounds very similar to me. His legs were on my right side, but pointing more towards my spine, so I didn't feel a lot of kicks from him. He was pretty high, too, so not a lot of cervical pain, either.

Don't know if that's the same thing that your LO is doing, but I thought you'd at least like to hear a positive story.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:51 AM   #7
rainydaysunshine
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchMama2010 View Post
Have you felt any kicks?

DS flipped head down at 21 weeks and stayed that way, but towards the end (last 3-4 weeks) he smashed his butt and back up against my left side - what you're describing sounds very similar to me. His legs were on my right side, but pointing more towards my spine, so I didn't feel a lot of kicks from him. He was pretty high, too, so not a lot of cervical pain, either.

Don't know if that's the same thing that your LO is doing, but I thought you'd at least like to hear a positive story.
This is what I was thinking.

Little girl, Seren Elise, born at home 11/18! Birth Story
rainydaysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:41 AM   #8
veveland
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My baby (born Aug 31) was transverse from 24 weeks until 36 weeks. Is the ball you feel her head, butt, or back? If you're not sure, push on it gently. If the whole baby shifts or moves then you are pushing on butt or back. You can also tell if baby gets the hiccups. You will feel them nearest baby's head.

FWIW, I did the Spinning Babies tilts and got her to turn.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:03 AM   #9
ackeller
Registered Users
seller

My babies were both breech until "the 11th hour". With DD (1) the doc was giving me scare stories so I tried a bunch of the rotating tactics you can find online. I know they work for some people, but they didn't for me. DD flipped on her own the day before I went into labor. DS turned himself a few times within days of delivery. I know it's something to "watch" but definitely don't be toooooooooo worried about it yet.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:32 PM   #10
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchMama2010 View Post
Have you felt any kicks?

This could be it too. I normally would feel a kick in my ribs or a dig down by my cerivix, but not as much last two days. He is still moving so not worried about that.

I was trying to figure out if the ball was a butt or head last night, but I have no idea! Maybe he's not transverse as you would think if it were a butt or head, that you would feel a similar thing on the other side

We'll see what ob says on Friday. I'm don't want to do the spinning babies yet in case he is correctly in place and I end up shifting him out of place!