Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-23-2015, 01:20 PM   #1
*TinyJoys*
Registered Users

The Billings Method?

Just had my 6 week pp check up and my midwife told me about this method because we do NFP. Even though I don't need to do this yet as baby is only 6 weeks and EBF, I do want to be prepared. We'd like a bit more of a gap between this one and baby #4. Anyone here ever used this method?

Advertisement

Old 10-15-2015, 09:31 PM   #2
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Re: The Billings Method?

Bump for you... Also curious.

Mama to 4 little stair steps
www.chirpylove.wordpress.com
MamaChirpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 07:38 AM   #3
MommaOfALollipop&Lion
Registered Users
seller

Bump from me aswell ! I want a longer gap between my 2nd and 3rd!
MommaOfALollipop&Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 11:46 AM   #4
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

I don't think it's very reliable and cervical mucus can be obscured by semen. One can have no Egg white mucus and still get pregnant. Reading cervical mucus can be very frustrating and things like nursing, stress, can affect it. It's an ok method if you don't really care if you conceive or not. It's great for trying to get pregnant. A more accurate method would be to use it with basal body temperature. If you know your cycle well and know when you ovulate then you avoid unprotected sex 5 days before ovulation and 3 days after.
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:05 AM   #5
InLoveWithMyBabe
Registered Users

I am not familiar with Billings method and their rules postpartum, but do use Symptothermal which tracks mucus and temperature. The problem with temperature is they say it is really hard to track postpartum because you are usually waking at different times frequently at night. I am not super experienced and postpartum is the easiest time to get pregnant on NFP, I fully breastfed, no pacifier, no bottle. no pumping, on demand, and my period came back on 3rd month, while other people may go 18th months so don't just rely on exclusively breastfeeding and being infertile. What I did (according to the rules) was check mucus every day after I stopped postpartum bleeding for two weeks (abstaining during this time). You get your baseline. Mine was dry but some people might have some mucus. Then you are free to have sex until you notice a change from dryness to having some wetness or change in color, consisistency or amount of mucus. You abstain until 4 nights after you go back to normal baseline. We were extremely cautious, if I wasn't sure, we would abstain. But honestly, most nights it was not on our mine because we were so tired from having a young baby! You also learn from symptothermal, how to evaluate your cervix but I can never reach mine because of short fingers! Sorry I didn't really answer your question, but I am assuming billings method is similar in the way they track the mucus. I would definitely recommend taking a class. Most are just two or three sessions and the you can always call the instructor later for questions. Just curious, what method do you use now?
InLoveWithMyBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 12:58 PM   #6
*TinyJoys*
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLoveWithMyBabe View Post
I am not familiar with Billings method and their rules postpartum, but do use Symptothermal which tracks mucus and temperature. The problem with temperature is they say it is really hard to track postpartum because you are usually waking at different times frequently at night. I am not super experienced and postpartum is the easiest time to get pregnant on NFP, I fully breastfed, no pacifier, no bottle. no pumping, on demand, and my period came back on 3rd month, while other people may go 18th months so don't just rely on exclusively breastfeeding and being infertile. What I did (according to the rules) was check mucus every day after I stopped postpartum bleeding for two weeks (abstaining during this time). You get your baseline. Mine was dry but some people might have some mucus. Then you are free to have sex until you notice a change from dryness to having some wetness or change in color, consisistency or amount of mucus. You abstain until 4 nights after you go back to normal baseline. We were extremely cautious, if I wasn't sure, we would abstain. But honestly, most nights it was not on our mine because we were so tired from having a young baby! You also learn from symptothermal, how to evaluate your cervix but I can never reach mine because of short fingers! Sorry I didn't really answer your question, but I am assuming billings method is similar in the way they track the mucus. I would definitely recommend taking a class. Most are just two or three sessions and the you can always call the instructor later for questions. Just curious, what method do you use now?
Thanks for your response! I guess I'm just relying on LAM right now, as my baby is under 6 months and exclusively bf. She does take a paci though. I haven't noticed any signs of fertility like fertile CM or ovulation pains so I think I'm safe. Dh and I haven't been super active anyway as I'm always tired and I have a difficult time getting in the mood lately. I'm one of those people that doesn't get their cycle back until after baby is a year, at least that's how it's been so far. I may look into a class for either the method you mentioned or the Billings method. I just want to be careful once baby is around 8-10 months. Is a class really necessary for the Symptothermal method or could I figure it out on my own after doing some research?
Old 10-26-2015, 01:04 PM   #7
*TinyJoys*
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandni3 View Post
I don't think it's very reliable and cervical mucus can be obscured by semen. One can have no Egg white mucus and still get pregnant. Reading cervical mucus can be very frustrating and things like nursing, stress, can affect it. It's an ok method if you don't really care if you conceive or not. It's great for trying to get pregnant. A more accurate method would be to use it with basal body temperature. If you know your cycle well and know when you ovulate then you avoid unprotected sex 5 days before ovulation and 3 days after.
Ok good to know! I'm not sure how accurate BBT would be though as I'm nursing and waking up at night. For now I'm just hoping the LAM will work, as it has in the past. Once baby is older I'll do the BBT and one of the methods in this thread. I just want to be prepared and look into a method that won't be too complicated or difficult to keep up longterm.
Old 11-15-2015, 01:24 PM   #8
Kap7270
Registered Users

BBT won't be helpful until you've returned to cycles. I don't have personal experience with Billings, but with Creighton Model (which is also a mucus only method). They are some of the best choices for postpartum, in my opinion. There's a learning curve with either, but it becomes pretty routine after you develop the habits. I highly encourage working with a teacher. It's one of the big strengths of the Creighton Model - though I'm biased because I'm a teacher it might be a good idea to learn sooner rather than later so it's familiar when you stop relying on LAM
Kap7270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:02 PM   #9
*TinyJoys*
Registered Users

So for the Creighton model you'd have to attend classes? Or is there a way to learn about it online?
Old 11-18-2015, 09:36 PM   #10
Kap7270
Registered Users

The Creighton Model is always taught in an individual fashion by a teacher. That way the system can be tailored to you and your specific situation. You can look for a local teacher at www.fertilitycare.org or many of us offer long distance classes via Skype (or something similar).
Kap7270 is offline   Reply With Quote