Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-27-2015, 12:02 PM   #1
rykersmommy
Registered Users

First period after pregnancy?

Hi! My son is just coming up on 1 year old. I have yet to have a period since he was born. We were EBF until 6 months, then introduced solids. At 9 months we day weaned. Now he nurses at breakfast, when I get home from work (each only 5 minutes) and on demand overnight (we cosleep), which ranges from 1-5 times a night. Just curious when I can expect to have a period again... We're talking of TTC #2 starting next summer, but I want to have a few regular cycles before we go again! Lol thanks in advance for any info/help!

Advertisement

rykersmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 01:36 PM   #2
multigrain
Registered Users
seller

Re: First period after pregnancy?

I got mine back when DD was 3 months. It came the week after I went back to work full-time even though I was pumping at work and nursing all night. I was so bummed. I nursed until 6 months pregnant with DS. Now, DS is 6 months old and no period yet. I went back to work part-time 3 weeks ago. We are planning to introduce food next week. We are not planning to have any more children so I hope my period stays away for a long time. I have hypothyroidism so I think that affects me. Right now my FSH (reproductive hormone) is 12.8 which indicates peri-menopause and I am 28 years old.

I don't know if there's any way to tell when you might get it back. If you have the goal in mind of conceiving in for example June 2016, you might need to cut back more on nursing if you don't get your period by maybe March. The other option is to ask your gynecologist to test your FSH which would tell you if breastfeeding is affecting your hormones. If your hormones are not affected then you can get pregnant without your period.
multigrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 01:40 PM   #3
addyjaya
Registered Users

I didn't have a period until 15 months after, then got pregnant the next month.
addyjaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 06:41 PM   #4
DreamInGreen
Registered Users
seller

We in demand BF (including night nursing and co sleeping) and my cycles returned at 18.5m. Apparently the "average" is 14 months according to KellyMom.com. I've met friends that got it at 15m, 20-24m (most people), and one friend at 30 months. I'm an older mommy (36y) and all my friends are older too so maybe that's why we're on the "late side". Fertile thoughts your way!
Old 09-28-2015, 06:59 AM   #5
rykersmommy
Registered Users

Thanks everyone! Sounds like there's lots of time still before I have to worry about it :P that eases my mind a lot!
rykersmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:48 AM   #6
Spunkify
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There's really no way of knowing. Every woman can be different.
Spunkify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:29 AM   #7
miriamleigh
Registered Users

Just a heads up that you might have a short luteal phase when your period does appear. Dont worry, its totally normal!
I didn't get my period back till 22 months, 18 months and 12 months with each kid.
miriamleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:08 AM   #8
mommadeeof4+
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

For all my prostpartum cycles, my babe had to be night weaned or nursing about 4-6x in a 24 hour period. Once this happened, usually between 12-16months postpartum, I'd ovulate within a month and concieve before actually getting a period. This is the case with me, everyone is different! If we were done having children I would just nurse as much ad possible because I know it would mean I'd be cycle free for probably 2 years!
Married to the love of my life and lucky momma to our 6 kids plus #7 on the way due 8/2018!
mommadeeof4+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 04:49 AM   #9
kanga1622
Registered Users

I didn't get a cycle back with my first until after I quit pumping during the day at 18 months. With my second it came back about that same time as well. By the time I was done pumping, we were also don't night nursing so we were basically down to 4-5 times throughout the day.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:19 AM   #10
CharmedMama
Registered Users
Formerly: a*b*ss
seller
seller

I know of a few ladies who can nurse only once a day, and will not have a period! As for me, I have gotten mine back at 6 weeks post partum after all six pregnancies. I envy those who at least get six months before it returns! And I nurse my babies constantly, on demand, all through the day and night. I don't even usually introduce solids until almost a year. Anyway, all that to say, everyone is so different, so it is hard to say when you may have yours return. I do know a lady who started taking vitex? (I need to confirm that!) to have pp at return. She wanted to continue nursing while ttc.