Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-20-2016, 11:29 AM   #1
ajaynak
Registered Users
seller

Creighton vs FAM?

So I have not yet read TCOYF and am thinking about some type of fairly reliable natural method. I was reading that Creighton involves your husband in the whole thing and I know he would so not like that. I got hypnobabies self study during pregnancy and never went all the way with it because he refused to be involved in "all that witchcraft". He doesn't have a very open mind and would very likely abhor having to keep track of or know about my fertility. It sounds appealing in that by charting one can identify patterns that would lead to a diagnosis. Is the charting that accompanies TCOYF similar? What would my husband have to do if I looked at Creighton?

Advertisement

ajaynak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:38 PM   #2
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Creighton vs FAM?

Natural Family Planning (NFP which Creighton is) and Fertility Awareness Method (FAM which is what TCOYF teaches) use the same methods to determine fertility. NFP was designed by the Catholic Church so the couples could be open to life even if they have to postpone pregnancy. FAM has nothing to do with being open to life and just explains how fertility work. Your husband doesn't have to do anything for either one of them,you can monitor it by yourself. But with NFP you would discuss with your husband when you are fertile and decide if now is the right time to have another child or if you should postpone for the month. If a decision to postpone is made then you would abstain from sexual relations until you aren't fertile. With FAM if you decide to postpone then you could abstain or use other methods to prevent pregnancy. The reason your husband is supposed to be involved is so that the lines of communication are open and that you are deciding together each month. I know it is confusing and it is complicated to type out in a post. But NFP is not meant to be used as birth control even though it can postpone children ,while FAM just explains how fertility works and has nothing to do with being open to life. The website ccli.org explains NFP .
Old 04-22-2016, 07:26 AM   #3
Blessedmama777
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You can use FAM being open to life--that's how we use it.
Follower of Jesus Christ, blessed and cherished wife to the most wonderful man, and happy, stay-at-home mama to our precious Christmas gifts L (2012) and J (2014) and P (2017) our springtime blessing!
Blessedmama777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 07:56 AM   #4
booty hunter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessedmama777 View Post
You can use FAM being open to life--that's how we use it.
Yes ,you absolutely can the method is the same. NFP teaches openess to life along with the methodology and FAM doesn't. You can also use either to achieve pregnancy. I just wanted to clarify what the difference was for the OP between the two.

Last edited by booty hunter; 04-22-2016 at 08:53 AM.
booty hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:25 PM   #5
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

I use Creighton and my husband has nothing to do with it. It's not necessary to involve him at all, besides letting him know whether or not to use protection on any given day.

Creighton and TCOYF use a different mode of determining fertile days.

TCOYF uses internal cervical checks and charting your waking temp every day so you can see the patterns that lead up to ovulation. After doing it for a few months, you can learn to predict when you will be fertile in the future. Failing to chart will lead to failure of the method.

Creighton teaches you to figure out if you are fertile on any given day--regardless of patterns or what last month looked like--by teaching you to observe what you see on toilet paper when you wipe. There are no internal checks and no temp taking. It doesn't matter if your cycle is irregular or if you forgot to observe your symptoms yesterday. It is almost entirely dependent on what happened TODAY.

I've done both. I overwhelmingly prefer Creighton. It's less invasive, less work, and less dependent on past observations. I do choose to chart, but I don't have to to make it work. It's just plain easy.

Last edited by Melinda29; 05-05-2016 at 06:29 PM.
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:15 PM   #6
booty hunter
seller
seller

My Mood:

There are free apps you can download on your phone. I like period tracker deluxe ,it was $1.99 but there is a free version for android. You can add symptoms, temps, and make logs of anything you want (like cervical positions). It stores it all and you can look back. It is a good way to keep track of your cycles. You would still need to learn the method but it would give you an idea of how it works.
Old 05-14-2016, 12:29 AM   #7
ajaynak
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda29 View Post
I use Creighton and my husband has nothing to do with it. It's not necessary to involve him at all, besides letting him know whether or not to use protection on any given day.

Creighton and TCOYF use a different mode of determining fertile days.

TCOYF uses internal cervical checks and charting your waking temp every day so you can see the patterns that lead up to ovulation. After doing it for a few months, you can learn to predict when you will be fertile in the future. Failing to chart will lead to failure of the method.

Creighton teaches you to figure out if you are fertile on any given day--regardless of patterns or what last month looked like--by teaching you to observe what you see on toilet paper when you wipe. There are no internal checks and no temp taking. It doesn't matter if your cycle is irregular or if you forgot to observe your symptoms yesterday. It is almost entirely dependent on what happened TODAY.

I've done both. I overwhelmingly prefer Creighton. It's less invasive, less work, and less dependent on past observations. I do choose to chart, but I don't have to to make it work. It's just plain easy.
How much did you invest in time and $$ to learn Creighton and who was your teacher? I think I would need someone who can do distance study as we don't gave anybody locally.
ajaynak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 09:58 PM   #8
Kap7270
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaynak View Post
How much did you invest in time and $$ to learn Creighton and who was your teacher? I think I would need someone who can do distance study as we don't gave anybody locally.

I teach the Creighton Model via Skype. I'd be happy to provide more info if you are interested
Kap7270 is offline   Reply With Quote