Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-01-2016, 01:33 PM   #1
HollyNightbonnet
Registered Users

My Mood:
When to start worrying about fertility due to age?

Back story: I am 26. Hubby is 34. We plan to start TTC either around the end of this year or some time next year depending on how much our financial situation has improved by then. We plan on having only two kids in the near future, in case you are wondering.

A while back, I posted a thread asking whether or not your late 20s to early 30s is too old to have children. Lots of people responded by saying "No." My doctors have also told me that I am still young and have plenty of time to have children. Sometimes, though, I do wonder if I were to go back to them tomorrow and ask the same question, would their response be the same as it was a year ago when I was 25? I have also asked them if the age difference between my hubby and me would have any impact on our fertility, and they didn't seem to think it would.

My question is: Should I start worrying about any fertility issues now due to my current age or later on in my life? My cycles are regular (about an average of 26 days long) and some ovulation tests I took last year suggested that I most likely ovulate early (around Cycle Days 10-12). Partly because of this, my doctors think I still have a good chance of getting pregnant, but sometimes I can't help but think, "What if they are wrong?" I have also suffered some horrible menstrual cramps, unless I take some ibuprofen and/or hot bubble baths, so that makes me worry even more about my fertility.

Advertisement

Interested in
HollyNightbonnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 03:47 PM   #2
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: When to start worrying about fertility due to age?

I don't really think anyone can answer that question for you personally. They can do tests and check hormone levels and usually genetics do play a role in fertility (so family history might be helpful) but those are no guarantees. I know women who had no issues having children into their late 40's and 24 year olds that have been trying for 3 years despite everything looking great. I also know people who had children and then couldn't conceive again (unexplained secondary infertility). Every doctor I have ever talked with has always said the younger the better. That is not to say it can't and won't happen later but from a biological standpoint younger is generally more successful. Obviously there are other considerations like financial, housing, career, ect so those need to be included in the decision. I would talk with dh and decide when is the absolutely earliest you guys are comfortable having a child and start trying then. So often people put it off for years and years expecting it to happen right away but it doesn't always happen that way. I wouldn't take fertility for granted but I understand other concerns factor into the decision.

Last edited by booty hunter; 05-01-2016 at 03:49 PM.
booty hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 04:02 PM   #3
HollyNightbonnet
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by booty hunter View Post
So often people put it off for years and years expecting it to happen right away but it doesn't always happen that way. I wouldn't take fertility for granted but I understand other concerns factor into the decision.
See, that's what I'm afraid of. I'm so afraid that these financial troubles will cause us to keep putting off TTC to the point that when we are actually ready to TTC (of course, who is ever truly ready anyway?), then it will be almost too late for us. We have had talks about what we would do if we did happen to be infertile, but it still scares me. I keep wondering how far we will end up going to try to make it happen and whether or not we will ever be successful.
Interested in
Old 05-01-2016, 04:20 PM   #4
greencrunchymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have PCOS and had to do fertility treatments. I was 28 when I conceived my first daughter and 31 when I conceived my second. My hubby was 38 when we conceived our second. Both healthy girls
Old 05-01-2016, 08:48 PM   #5
Kterrellny
Registered Users

For most women, fertility levels start to decline sharply after 35. I had my 1st child at 35 and my second at 39. If you're worried, have an FSH test (follicle-stimulating hormone: you want it to be low). But I wouldn't worry until you start pushing 35, and even then, most of the women I know have waited till their late 30s, early 40s.
Kterrellny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:55 PM   #6
HollyNightbonnet
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kterrellny View Post
For most women, fertility levels start to decline sharply after 35. I had my 1st child at 35 and my second at 39. If you're worried, have an FSH test (follicle-stimulating hormone: you want it to be low). But I wouldn't worry until you start pushing 35, and even then, most of the women I know have waited till their late 30s, early 40s.

Oh my gosh! Your comment just made my day. I will start looking into the FSH test. Fortunately, it will be 9 more years until my 35th birthday.
Interested in
Old 05-02-2016, 11:52 AM   #7
Kterrellny
Registered Users

The FSH test is something only fertility doctors usually perform, I think. . . maybe a GP or OB/GYN would do it? Most fertility doctors want you to try regular intercourse for a year or so (unless you're already well over 35, or you know about other medical problems) before you see them! I think you probably have nothing to worry about, but get the test if it will make you feel better!
Kterrellny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:49 PM   #8
expaik
Registered Users
seller

I must belong to a strange IRL community - most of the fertility woes that my friends and acquaintances have faced were the opposite. i.e. having an Oops baby very late - like in their mid-forties when they figured they could afford to relax a bit about BC. Haven't really met anyone who had a decline in fertility even in their late thirties - anyone who has had issues had them from the start.
expaik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 02:12 PM   #9
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by expaik View Post
I must belong to a strange IRL community - most of the fertility woes that my friends and acquaintances have faced were the opposite. i.e. having an Oops baby very late - like in their mid-forties when they figured they could afford to relax a bit about BC. Haven't really met anyone who had a decline in fertility even in their late thirties - anyone who has had issues had them from the start.
I have a friend who is going through something somewhat similar. They aren't worried about an opps baby, they very much want another child. She is in her middle 40's and is conceiving but isn't able to maintain the pregnancy. It is very sad.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:28 PM   #10
HollyNightbonnet
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kterrellny View Post
The FSH test is something only fertility doctors usually perform, I think. . . maybe a GP or OB/GYN would do it? Most fertility doctors want you to try regular intercourse for a year or so (unless you're already well over 35, or you know about other medical problems) before you see them! I think you probably have nothing to worry about, but get the test if it will make you feel better!
I will have to ask my doctors and see what they say about it. But of course we will start trying regular intercourse without any birth control whatever when the time is right because, well, you never know what might happen. I will try my best to relax and let it happen on its own. Hopefully, it just might work out for us.
Interested in