Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-30-2017, 07:54 PM   #1
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

I feel like I'm failing. :/

One of our kiddos have had developmental concerns for a long time. He struggles the most with communication, both receptive and expressive, and fine motor. He is in EI and has been for a long time. We expect some delays to be long term/life long. He has recently been refereed to a neurodevelopmental disorder center and I am looking forward to having some answers but the wait time is very long.

None of that phases me. He is our child and we love him. We want to help him reach *his* fullest potential but we don't care a bit if it is not 'on par' with average or whatever. That said--

I feel like a pretty experienced parent. We have several kiddos and I have cared for way more than ours. But I am struggling with frustration and how to best help him quite a bit. He will pick up a skill, like saying the 'd' sound. Use it appropriately for like 3 weeks. Then completely drop it. He does the same thing in other areas--potty training, following directions, even motor skills. We work really hard for the next 3 weeks or so to get him back up to where he was. He gets it. We rejoice! He keeps it for a while. Start over. I don't get it! Once a child masters a skill you raise your expectations to include that skill. Going back over and over again is SO hard. When he understood yesterday (and the past three months) when I said 'go get your shoes' and today suddenly has no idea.... I don't know how to do this.

I feel really bad for him because he is the sweetest little guy and I know that he is trying. But I still get frustrated. I don't know how not to. I don't know how to have such fluid expectations.

Any advice, thoughts, relateable stories or whatever are welcome. I don't know what to do/try/say to change the circumstances or my feelings about them but I want so badly to do better moving forward. He deserves the very best I can give him.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote