Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-29-2016, 01:02 PM   #1
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Homeschool Chat August/September

I know we haven't had a chat thread in a bit.

I have three homeschooling and my two older boys are going to a tiny private school. So big changes for us.

How is your year so far? Started yet?

Advertisement

Old 08-29-2016, 02:27 PM   #2
missydawn
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Homeschool Chat August/September

Yay I was thinking we needed one of these threads again.

I am homeschool 3 this year 9th grade, 5th grade, and 3rd grade. We are 3 weeks in and things are going well. J is hating his grammar program and I don't know if I should just push him through this year or change programs before we go to much further.
Homeschool Buyer CO-OP = Great Homeschool Deals
missydawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:29 PM   #3
TJR2119
Registered Users

My Mood:

We are year round homeschoolers so we've done math and reading over the summer, but we officially begin our new year next Monday!

ETA: DS is in 5th grade and dd is in 2nd.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:20 PM   #4
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by missydawn View Post
Yay I was thinking we needed one of these threads again.

I am homeschool 3 this year 9th grade, 5th grade, and 3rd grade. We are 3 weeks in and things are going well. J is hating his grammar program and I don't know if I should just push him through this year or change programs before we go to much further.
If he really hates it I might consider switching instead of torturing both of you. I know I didn't regret changing Math and Spelling last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR2119 View Post
We are year round homeschoolers so we've done math and reading over the summer, but we officially begin our new year next Monday!

ETA: DS is in 5th grade and dd is in 2nd.
I thought we would do Math over the summer and we didn't. I'm reviewing the first week.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:56 PM   #5
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

We are weird homeschoolers who can't seem to stay on track. lol Okay, seriously, we are a bit all over the place. ODD has been working on algebra and literature over the summer. It has been a weird past year. The plan is for her to have her algebra and literature (finishing up American Lit) finished in about 3 weeks. This is the first year we've used a co-op for her for actual classes, so in a way, she's already started her 11th grade year, since tomorrow is the second week of those classes (biology and ASL). However, the rest of her classes won't start until the end of September, along with her brother and sister. DH and the kids will be going to Michigan to see family for about 10 days in the middle of September, so I didn't see any reason to start before that.

Oh, and I will be teaching an 11th grader, 8th grader, and 4th grader this year. I still need to go back and actually record all the grades and set up a transcript for my oldest. I'm not sure at this point what credits she still needs.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 02:34 PM   #6
hilaryisinked
Spring Into a New Avi 2015 Winner
sitesupporter
seller
seller

We go year round and are in week 3 of our "new year." We take a lot of random days off so we go year round to fit it in. I like this method even though it feels so erratic to me when I'm an extremely structured person. It's going ok...I just really don't enjoy it. We do it because I'm severely immune suppressed and it keeps me out of the hospital to not have the kids bringing home germs from school. Also because DH is off during the weekdays a lot so we get to do so many fun things. For these reasons I will never not homeschool but it really is not something I like. I am really considering switching my 1st grader to Time 4 Learning so I don't have to do the teaching. I need to see what DH thinks about it.
Old 08-30-2016, 02:34 PM   #7
hilaryisinked
Spring Into a New Avi 2015 Winner
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Also hi! I had my transplant on the 2nd of this month so I can get back into these chats now!
Old 08-30-2016, 03:41 PM   #8
TooBusyBearcubs
Registered Users
Formerly: K**ten
seller

My Mood:

We aren't exactly year-round, since Mommy tends to need a break in June. And we started extra early so we can take off a big chunk in January when baby gets here. But, we do usually start in July. It's too hot here in TN to play outside much, so we start during the heat and take more time off in October-ish. We're supposed to be about 8-9 weeks in now, but we had to take a week or two off for illness and visiting family. Thankful for homeschool flexibility! Haha.
Expecting #3, after 6 long years of loss and hope.
Blessed beyond measure by the God Who Sees.

Please see my ISO: http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1624875
TooBusyBearcubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:17 PM   #9
3boys_mom
Registered Users

This is our second week. The plan was to start on the 15th, but that didn't happen. NO real loss to push it back a week. This year I have 8th, 6th, 3rd, 1st, K, 3yo, and almost 5 mo. My DH has been helping by picking up writing. The older boys are definitely responding better to his teaching than mine. Most of the rest they can do independently which leaves me to work with the girls and keep an eye on the toddler. We did start a new/different program this year. We like it, but are still working out the kinks. They are all working a level or so below their grade. My 3rd graders keeps saying/asking "I thought I am in third grade this year." But he is working on 'grade 2' of the new program. My 1st grader I have starting the K level (she doesn't know the difference).

My goal every year is to start a bit earlier so we can end earlier. It doesn't happen. One thing I really want to do is to be able to take more breaks. We are shelving book work next week in lieu of field trips etc. The ILs will be gone (we live with them) so we just want to enjoy our time away from them, and avoid the stress that comes with the sit down lessons.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:02 AM   #10
abh5e8
Registered Users

We are officially starting next week, but a few things we continue year round and those were going well. (Math, spanish, typing, piano, English). We usually start earlier, but out newbie is just two weeks old, so taking a little break to enjoy him.

What are your favorite tools/tips for teaching letters and numbers? My the year old is really wanting this. I did not work with anyone else this young, but she is very insistent. I'm not even opposed to an app, but there are so many??

Last edited by abh5e8; 08-31-2016 at 07:04 AM.
abh5e8 is online now   Reply With Quote