Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-13-2018, 12:59 PM   #1
ilovenate1993
Registered Users

Laundry Detergent

What kind of detergent can I use for my CB cloth diapers? Preferably something I can find on the shelf at Walmart. Iím adding green funk to take care of the smell..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement

ilovenate1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:03 PM   #2
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Re: Laundry Detergent

Tide I use the powder kind because I heard it's better with hard water which we have, but I've used liquid before too when it's all I have.
Elchorrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:09 AM   #3
ilovenate1993
Registered Users

Ok! Thanks for your reply!

Old 06-14-2018, 01:06 PM   #4
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elchorrito View Post
Tide I use the powder kind because I heard it's better with hard water which we have, but I've used liquid before too when it's all I have.
Weird. Unless it's Tide specific. I've always heard that liquids (be it laundry, dishwasher, etc) are better in hard water because the grains don't have to dissolve in the water. It's been my experience as well.

What detergent to use can be very person specific depending on water, washer, diapers, etc etc, etc. Which can stink (literally). Though no personal experience Tide does seem to be the one detergent that very few people have issues with.

I've used biokleen liquid, Bum Genius powder (I LOVED THIS but it was discontinued I think), Rocking Green powder, & 7th gen liquid - every move caused me to need to find a different solution.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! Nighttime Trainers
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:33 PM   #5
zeotwoski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovenate1993 View Post
What kind of detergent can I use for my CB cloth diapers? Preferably something I can find on the shelf at Walmart. Iím adding green funk to take care of the smell..

Whatever detergent you decide to try, you want it to be getting the diapers actually clean, which will mean no smell left to take care of with green funk. So at least start with skipping it and add it back later if you have to.

I too have success with Tide original powder. I've been using Country Save powder for years and that's gone well too as long as I'm washing every day. Hard well water with high iron. At my old house we also had hard well water, but not so bad and we could use anything.
zeotwoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:50 PM   #6
ilovenate1993
Registered Users

So is Green Funk just an additive or can I use just that while washing diapers? Iíve just been using a little dawn dish soap and green funk so far. I have a top loading machine with agitator..

Old 06-14-2018, 02:02 PM   #7
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Tide powder is the best there is IMO.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:32 PM   #8
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovenate1993 View Post
So is Green Funk just an additive or can I use just that while washing diapers? I’ve just been using a little dawn dish soap and green funk so far. I have a top loading machine with agitator..
I don't know about Green funk, but in general it's a good idea to find a laundry detergent that works with out an additive if possible.

I would not use Dawn regularly, it's not meant for laundry and not good for the machine. When I change laundry detergent I make sure I'm starting with clean diapers that have no buildup so, wash a couple times as needed and rinse (or run a couple cycles without detergent) until no or minimal soap bubbles. Then watch the next few washes closely, including doing an extra warm rinse to see how many bubbles. My rule was no more than one extra rinse because that is all that can be programmed in.:-) (the second extra rinse is just during the evaluation period)
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! Nighttime Trainers

Last edited by Pixi6s; 06-18-2018 at 09:27 AM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 01:10 PM   #9
Biggiesmum
Registered Users

We used Tode Free and Clear Powder with half a cup of Borax because we have very hard water. Had no problems.
Biggiesmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:14 AM   #10
cresto82
Registered Users

I actually use natural, biodegradable, non-toxic home and personal care products when it comes to my kid's clothes. It's more expensive than the ones in grocery since I order them online from a speciality shop called "Human Heart Nature" but it's safe for the environment and I am sure my kid won't have any allergic reactions since there's no harmful chemicals.
cresto82 is offline   Reply With Quote