Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-24-2017, 02:04 PM   #11
missydawn
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Meal Planning-Let's Give This a Go

Every Saturday I sit down and plan out lunch and dinner for the week and then head to the store with my list. I hate not having a menu, life is too busy here to just wing it. Plus I hate shopping so that keeps to only having to go once a week

Advertisement

Homeschool Buyer CO-OP = Great Homeschool Deals
missydawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 03:25 PM   #12
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by missydawn View Post
Every Saturday I sit down and plan out lunch and dinner for the week and then head to the store with my list. I hate not having a menu, life is too busy here to just wing it. Plus I hate shopping so that keeps to only having to go once a week
This is actually a good reason to do this. I'm just so crave driven most of the time.

I'm going to try and stick to this Tuesday-Saturday plan but due to schedule changes I can already see that we have to switch things around.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:21 PM   #13
missydawn
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agla View Post
This is actually a good reason to do this. I'm just so crave driven most of the time.

I'm going to try and stick to this Tuesday-Saturday plan but due to schedule changes I can already see that we have to switch things around.
It gets easier the more you do it. I know now what type of meals to plan on busy days and to plan easier meals at the end of the week and more prep meals at the start of the week. Friday and Sunday are always crock-pot meals.
Homeschool Buyer CO-OP = Great Homeschool Deals
missydawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 04:40 PM   #14
Agla
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by missydawn View Post
It gets easier the more you do it. I know now what type of meals to plan on busy days and to plan easier meals at the end of the week and more prep meals at the start of the week. Friday and Sunday are always crock-pot meals.
Yes, we always get last minute invites or we find out about outings. Something always pops up at the end of the week.

I'm going to remember this tip. I also think keeping the lists is a good idea so that it isn't all based on memory like Pixi6 mom.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:39 AM   #15
abh5e8
Registered Users

This is great timing. We just moved and now we're live about 25 mins from town, so no more running in for a few things. When i do meal plan, it is in a Google calendar. Dh and I share about 8 calendars, and meals have their own color. We also use an app called Our Groceries for lists. We have a running list for each store we frequent​ and add to it as things come up. Then if one of us happen to be at or near that store, we know what the other needs.

Right now our "home communications notebook" is text messages. Lol.

Breakfast rotates between oatmeal 2/week pancakes or waffles once weekly, egg casserole once weekly and milkshakes 3/week. (Milk, PB, frozen fruit, chia seeds and flax seeds).

Lunches are either PB sandwiches or some kind of rice and beans.

Dinners are usually meat and veggies. Grilled when weather allows and roast in the winter. I also use roast leftovers in soups in the winter. Tacos are every Tuesday. Fish most Fridays. I want to learn to make pizza and have that on Saturday s.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2017, 06:57 AM   #16
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
She sounds like an expert at the womanly art of home organization. How do you organize?

My mom was terrible in the kitchen. Sorry Mom! but she knows it's true. She now has two - three recipes she's a master at and she sticks to those and doesn't divulge secrets.

As I was shuffling through my home communication book it dawned on me that we can really improve on it. My dh just recently got on board with it and so we do use it but it could be way better organized.
I keep the list out so we can write down items that we know ahead of time, and I like having the extra item in the cupboard but that is the only way I'm similar to my mom. We shop every other weekend.

My husband cooks dinner but I do everything else (school lunches / snacks) so the family goes shopping together. Before we go we both write down what we need. He goes through and thinks about what we can use for dinner and I go through and see how much milk, bread, snacks, cereal, etc we need. He doesn't plan our meals anymore than that though, unfortunately we probably eat the same 14 things every 2 weeks so he just makes sure we have the ingredients for them.

We generally don't bother running to the store. if we forgot something we do without with the possible exception of bread and milk. DD now drinks flax milk which we have to get at a different grocery chain than we normally shop in so sometimes we get an extra chance when I need to go there to pick up something forgotten. We also get local eggs which we get elsewhere.

It works for us but not much to share - thats why I thought of my mom when I saw the post
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! Nighttime Trainers

Last edited by Pixi6s; 10-25-2017 at 06:58 AM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 08:38 AM   #17
drabekgirl
Registered Users

5 week rotation of supper foods, some you'll see on the list more than once. Tuesdays is Mexican, Wednesdays is soup, sandwich or salad, Thursday is breakfast for supper, Friday is Italian, Monday is crockpot (roast or whole chicken) but sometimes this day is for new recipes. Sunday lunches is steak, hotdog or brats (if I have on hand) supper would be popcorn for the kids, DH and I started to do an ice cream date, Saturday is a day when I can be creative if I'm home. Lately I've not been home on Wed so DH and boys have to cook and they've been using up leftovers because no one is taking them for lunch.

Working FT so this helps a ton. I also used to have a weekly grocery list already written out for each week but this year I have not gotten around to it.

This week we switched it up some and I was using up things in the pantry, so I've only been to the grocery store for milk (dairy and almond) and 2# of cheese. If I don't get to the store soon their might be a revolt but I could go another week if they would take caned fruit for their lunches.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:55 AM   #18
frugalmomof2
Registered Users

I menu plan on a weekly basis. We are vegan and about 80% gluten free. Our food budget is $100/week. I rarely spend over $90 and we have plenty of "extras" every week that roll onto the next week.

2 kids (DS is 10 and eats a TON)
2 adults

I can post the grocery list and menu for this week if you want?
Old 10-27-2017, 09:56 AM   #19
Agla
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by abh5e8 View Post
This is great timing. We just moved and now we're live about 25 mins from town, so no more running in for a few things. When i do meal plan, it is in a Google calendar. Dh and I share about 8 calendars, and meals have their own color. We also use an app called Our Groceries for lists. We have a running list for each store we frequent​ and add to it as things come up. Then if one of us happen to be at or near that store, we know what the other needs.

Right now our "home communications notebook" is text messages. Lol.

Breakfast rotates between oatmeal 2/week pancakes or waffles once weekly, egg casserole once weekly and milkshakes 3/week. (Milk, PB, frozen fruit, chia seeds and flax seeds).

Lunches are either PB sandwiches or some kind of rice and beans.

Dinners are usually meat and veggies. Grilled when weather allows and roast in the winter. I also use roast leftovers in soups in the winter. Tacos are every Tuesday. Fish most Fridays. I want to learn to make pizza and have that on Saturday s.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
We had a google doc system that I was really happy with for a while. Then we started leaving our devices on less and that meant lazy folks(kids) would not put items on the list because it would require opening a chromebook.

I believe my dh has texted me once in his life so an app or a text would probably not work for us. I will email him when there is a dire shortage of something we failed to add to paper list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixi6s View Post
I keep the list out so we can write down items that we know ahead of time, and I like having the extra item in the cupboard but that is the only way I'm similar to my mom. We shop every other weekend.

My husband cooks dinner but I do everything else (school lunches / snacks) so the family goes shopping together. Before we go we both write down what we need. He goes through and thinks about what we can use for dinner and I go through and see how much milk, bread, snacks, cereal, etc we need. He doesn't plan our meals anymore than that though, unfortunately we probably eat the same 14 things every 2 weeks so he just makes sure we have the ingredients for them.

We generally don't bother running to the store. if we forgot something we do without with the possible exception of bread and milk. DD now drinks flax milk which we have to get at a different grocery chain than we normally shop in so sometimes we get an extra chance when I need to go there to pick up something forgotten. We also get local eggs which we get elsewhere.

It works for us but not much to share - thats why I thought of my mom when I saw the post
Dh has to stop at Aldis on the way home from work. He gets my almond milk there since it's so affordable.

I usually just work around what we have. Usually it works with the exception of regular milk which never gets added to the list for some reason and we realize is done when I'm making pancakes or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drabekgirl View Post
5 week rotation of supper foods, some you'll see on the list more than once. Tuesdays is Mexican, Wednesdays is soup, sandwich or salad, Thursday is breakfast for supper, Friday is Italian, Monday is crockpot (roast or whole chicken) but sometimes this day is for new recipes. Sunday lunches is steak, hotdog or brats (if I have on hand) supper would be popcorn for the kids, DH and I started to do an ice cream date, Saturday is a day when I can be creative if I'm home. Lately I've not been home on Wed so DH and boys have to cook and they've been using up leftovers because no one is taking them for lunch.

Working FT so this helps a ton. I also used to have a weekly grocery list already written out for each week but this year I have not gotten around to it.

This week we switched it up some and I was using up things in the pantry, so I've only been to the grocery store for milk (dairy and almond) and 2# of cheese. If I don't get to the store soon their might be a revolt but I could go another week if they would take caned fruit for their lunches.
I like the theme format. Gives you flexibility but doesn't necessarily have to be repetitive.

I remembered one thing I like. The older ones will volunteer to cook if things are already defrosted fot them. So when I inadvertently fell asleep on the couch they got dinner going based on the list. That in itself is a reason to keep this going.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:48 AM   #20
frugalmomof2
Registered Users

Quote:
Dh has to stop at Aldis on the way home from work. He gets my almond milk there since it's so affordable.
We shop 90% of our groceries at Aldi's. It'd cost twice as much at the local grocer. I love that they have $1.99 quarts of almond milk and $2.49 chocolate almond milk!