Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-23-2008, 03:20 PM   #21
MamaEli
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Necessities?

I agree that you don't need much. When we were expecting #1, we didn't have much $$. So we didn't have much--onesies, a couple of outfits, a convertable carseat, diapers, wipes. I bought a three pack of bottles. We got a bouncy seat from a garage sale. I also got some outfits, crib sheets, baby bathtub, and receiving blankets from the garage sales. I had a bassinet that was a family heirloom, and had to buy sheets for it. We were given a stroller, high chair, swing, baby bath and lotion, and some blankets. I bought a pouch style sling when he was about 2 or 3 months off ebay for $15. I really was clueless! But honestly, we had everything we needed. The hospital gave little packs of vaseline for the circ (wish I hadn't done that ) some blankets, a diaperbag, lots of lanolin sample packs, a thermometer, and a bulb syringe.

With DD, a friend gave us some boxes of clothes, and I bought a pack of diapers and wipes---didn't find the guts for embracing the CD love until about 5 months. I already had baby wash since I was still using it on DS, and we got a different bouncy seat off CL the day I went into labor. I bought a new carseat and some a tube of lanolin from BRU one day.....but that's it.

Other than cloth dipes and some newer onesies, I think we're ready for the new baby if it was to come today. (Since I'm only 18 wks, that's not happening, but even if I was 37 weeks I'd feel fairly good about where I am right now, with the exception of some prowraps.)

Out of all, the swing and recieving blankets are must haves, besides your favorite carrier.

Advertisement

MamaEli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:48 PM   #22
fish3737
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The ladies have tackled all the important stuff.

I just wanted to say that I bought a crib at about 5 months pregnant and decorated the whole nursery. But he slept with us until he was eight months old so the crib looked pretty, but we didn't use it forever.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:45 AM   #23
lulusmom
Keepin' it Crunchy!
seller

My Mood:

I'll list the things we absolutely did NOT use:
bouncy seat (still brand new unused)
bottles, sterilizer, pacifiers, warmer (ended up returning all of this stuff because if you're a sahm, especially in the beginning, you won't need this stuff. You need to introduce a bottle between 3 and 5 weeks if you are bf'ing, so you can always pick them up later)
the crib (dd ended up co-sleeping so the crib is the most expensive laundry storage bin I have ever bought! )
baby monitor, because of above
crib toys, mobiles, heartbeat toy (nb's aren't really into this stuff yet anyway)

The things we used right away, besides clothes and dipes of course, were a positioning pillow for bf'ing (my brest friend was my favorite, the boppy sucked), a Moby wrap, swaddle blankets, and burp rags. Also changing table and wipes warmer.

Helen-Natural birthing, extended bf'ing, cosleeping, non-vaxxin' mama to Holly Lu 8/18/07
lulusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:01 AM   #24
ShayneLeMaster
no caption needed
seller

My Mood:

With my daughter we bought EVERYTHING " because it was for a baby and we were having a baby" lol

With my son I knew what was absurd to buy and bought only what I remembered using with DD...

And with #3, I really don't plan on buying all the " gear" I second a PP about bouncy seats, they are great for a hands free shower and time to do dishes if not in a carrier..

I will get a carrier but I may wait a lil while before I drop the big bucks on something baby might hate lol

Aside from a place to sleep in mommy and daddys room for atleast fist months& nap times, carseat,diapers and clothes. And a pair of boobs that's all u need