Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-31-2013, 10:17 AM   #1
S+JsMom
Registered Users

Stuck in Funky-town - laundry help needed

So, my DS's diapers are just really funky. I would say 90% funk with a hint of ammonia stink. I have mostly natural fiber fitteds/prefolds, but there are some microfiber fitteds and soakers, too.

I have a HE front loading washing machine. I had been using Tiny Bubbles, which wasn't perfect, but wasn't terrible. When I ran out, I picked up some Rockin' Green at my local store (just the regular type). When I first did a soak in it the diapers were awesome. But as I started using it more often I found that if I didn't do a soak (and I am talking a soak in my sink because the washing machine soak didn't cover the diapers enough), I would get funky diapers. I tried adding more detergent. I tried adding Calgon (which I had been using with Tiny Bubbles because I have water that tends to be harder). I read reviews that said that RNG was very bad for a bunch of people. I picked up Ecos Free and Clear at the store to give that a try. I am using the recommended amount. I was having some staining issues so I added OxyClean one wash cycle. Just not coming out of the wash smelling clean and they are really funky when little one pees in them.

Tried re-soaking in RNG...did an overnight soak and they smelled even more funky. Since I am trying to solve this problem I let the pail fill up and today went to run a really full load (hoping for more agitation and cleaning ability) and the diapers not only smell funky, but have an almost mildew-y smell after running a cold wash (where I added a bit of Ecos detergent to try to deal with this funk). Currently running a long, hot soak/wash/extra rinse cycle with RNG again and some Calgon. I don't know what else to do or to try.

1. Any tips on how to fix things that I can do easily and with what I can get locally?
2. Any recommendations of awesome detergents/supplies that I should order to use moving forward?
S+JsMom is offline   Reply With Quote