Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-24-2018, 11:07 AM   #1
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Can't tell he has to go?

Riddle me this: if I let DS go pants-free, he pretty consistently either tells me he needs to potty or goes on his own. He almost NEVER has accdents, not even a drop as far as I can tell (maybe I'm missing the drop?). When I put pants on him, he wets unless I watch the clock and take him every 1.5-2 hrs. He always tells me for poop, pants or no pants (this makes sense to me - it's probably a more distinct sensation), but with pants he tells me potty AFTER he has wet. What's the deal? Why can he feel it without pants but not with pants? It isn't that he doesn't mind wet pants - I'm pretty sure he does, because he usually tells me once he has gone and acts almost surprised about it. It's like he just can't predict it, but without pants he can predict just fine. What am I missing here and how can I put pants back on him?

Advertisement

Elchorrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:10 AM   #2
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Re: Can't tell he has to go?

When I first switched him to no pants a week or 2 ago, I thought he just was wetting in pants because he couldn't get them off and would rather take himself potty than tell me ("me self, me self"). But, he only takes himself half the time. He tells me the other half and wants me to take him. He clearly has the ability to say what he needs...I just don't get it.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:22 PM   #3
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

I just had a thought because I know some people say going commando helps. Is it possible he's outgrowing his trainers and they're feeling snug like a diaper? Anyone think sizing up would make a difference? He's 26 lbs and mostly in Blueberry smalls, with a few other brands mixed in. Smalls say up to 28 lbs, but mediums start at 25 lbs.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:26 PM   #4
Brinae89
Registered Users
seller

I think it just has to do with cloth up against there skin and them being used to going potty while wearing something (even though in your case I know youíve been doing EC a lot Iím not sure if constantly?) or the security of having something on them may be a reason too, but my son is the same way. He can be naked all day long and never pee anywhere except the potty but when he has pants he will pee, he has gotten better about it though and can hold it for quite some time while wearing no diaper with pants but at first he would almost always pee. As for a solution I have none Lol my son is still on his potty learning venture so I have no tell all solution for you but advise wise is donít stress out he might just not be ready to completely be potty trained and giving them time will help them to transition easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brinae89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 12:52 PM   #5
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Lol well at least I know he's not abnormal! Thanks - I feel better knowing other kids do the same thing.
Old 04-26-2018, 05:56 AM   #6
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Lots of kids have this issue. I think they are just more aware when naked. You can try pants without undies and see if he does ok like that. Eventually using the potty will become so normal that he'll do it no matter what he has on, just hang in there.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:16 PM   #7
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

So, I know it's been a bit since you posted this, but if you haven't yet, I second Jen's suggestion that you do pants with no undies. When my son potty trained, we did the initial training by going commando for a few days. However, for the first month or so, he was fine wearing undies or wearing pants, but not together. So, around the house he wore just undies, and when we went out and about, he wore just pants. After a month or so he was fine with wearing both.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:22 AM   #8
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Ah thanks for posting this. I somehow never saw Jen's response, so I'm glad you humped it for both. I just got Oh Crap Potty Training at the library which I read somewhere is a good transition book for "finishing" if you've been EC or whatever. I'm not sure if we've been EC, but the book also recommends going commando for a while, so we'll work on that. I think if I hit it hard for a couple days he'll have it, really, because he definitely knows what he's doing and is very aware.