Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-16-2017, 11:20 AM   #1
bmdepas
Registered Users
seller

Help Me Find a Carrier

I'm looking for a new carrier. I need some advice. Here's a little information about me and my kiddo. What would you suggest I try?

I'm 5'4" and 105 pounds. I have a very short torso.
Kiddo is almost 12 months and 23 pounds.

I have an Infantino mei tai. I used to love it, but it hurts my hips and shoulders now. Baby is comfortable in it and often sleeps.

I also have a homemade wrap. It isn't wide enough for a good seat anymore and I cut it too short a while back because I didn't like the extra fabric swinging around my knees when I walked. I like that it's versatile, but it hurts my shoulders, too. Baby likes it and often sleeps.

I'm looking for something comfortable and good for bigger babies/toddlers. I have around $100 to spend, but will consider carriers that are more than that because I can look for sales or try to find one used. Bonus points if I can also use it for the next baby while s/he is still small.

I was looking at the ones that are like a wrap but made into the shape of a mei tai - like, the shoulders are pleated and can be spread out so they don't dig in. Does anyone have experience with these? Is there a name for them?

Advertisement

bmdepas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:28 AM   #2
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Help Me Find a Carrier

I believe what you are taking about is called a wrap conversion mei tai.

Have you considered a buckle type carrier? I'm not sure which one would fit a short torso best but I think the padding on the waist and straps would solve the digging issue you are having. They tend to be really comfortable and super quick on and offs. We use the boba. You could find one in your budget and I have used them from newborn-age 3. It might be a bit long for you though, I am 5'6 and 125 pounds. It fits me and my husband very well--but I don't know that you could size it down small enough to fit you well.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:29 PM   #3
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

I'm 5' 2" and I use a beco Gemini. I think it's comfortable with my 9 mo 21 lb babe, but my DH (6'2") does not, so it might be better for shorter people? I used it from day 1 - infants can go in without having to buy a separate piece, and it can go front facing in or out, and back. I haven't tried a wrap, though. I hear good things about them, but am not brave enough to learn how to wrap.
Elchorrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 04:27 AM   #4
bmdepas
Registered Users
seller

Thanks! I'll check those out.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:10 AM   #5
erinofgod
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm 5'3" and have short torso. I've had the best luck with Tula Soft structured carriers. I've tried quite a few carriers and love my Tulas. I can comfortably carry my 3 yo at 35lbs or my 9 month old at about 18lbs. I used a ring sling until she was about 10 weeks old. We don't leave home without our comfy carrier. With 3 kiddos 5 and under a good carrier is a must for this mama.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
erinofgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:38 AM   #6
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

I wouldn't think tula would be a great fit for someone short, I thought they were supposed to be one of the biggest ssc? I know their panel is pretty tall.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:16 AM   #7
bmdepas
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinofgod View Post
I'm 5'3" and have short torso. I've had the best luck with Tula Soft structured carriers. I've tried quite a few carriers and love my Tulas. I can comfortably carry my 3 yo at 35lbs or my 9 month old at about 18lbs. I used a ring sling until she was about 10 weeks old. We don't leave home without our comfy carrier. With 3 kiddos 5 and under a good carrier is a must for this mama.
Tulas are pretty expensive, aren't they? Seems I saw some recently for sale that were waaaay over my budget. Maybe I could find a used one, though.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:57 PM   #8
kristinajura
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
I wouldn't think tula would be a great fit for someone short, I thought they were supposed to be one of the biggest ssc? I know their panel is pretty tall.

Yeah, the panel is really tall. I'm 5' 9" & I love the toddler Tula we have & if I could afford it would buy a standard size one to replace the Ergo.
That said, Ergo has a much shorter front panel & they're now easy to find at Target & Babies R Us & are more affordable. Maybe you can try one at a store? I have a 5' 2" ish friend that used the Ergo & loved it.

kristinajura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:56 AM   #9
erinofgod
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The Tula has an adjustment at the top of the panel on the straps to make it fit better for taller or shorter people. My husband extends it and I put it on the smallest setting.

erinofgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:42 PM   #10
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

^^ That's cool, I didn't know that.