Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-21-2008, 09:30 PM   #1
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:
gallstone remedies safe for breastfeeding?

While my doc assures me that I can have gallbladder surgery and nurse almost immediately afterwards-as soon as the anesthesia wears off- I'm very weary about it. I've had one gallbladder attack...I swear, I'd rather go through labor for days on end that go through that again...but no major problems since then, other than slight stomach upset after a semi-greasy meal. I went to my family doctor for a followup after the attack that landed me in the ER (I seriously thought I was having a heart attack!) and the referred me for an ultrasound. The u/s showed stones, but my family doc wouldn't discuss it with me further, she just made a referral to a general surgeon. While I'm not completely opposed to having the surgery...especially if its needed...I'd like to at least put it off until I'm done breastfeeding our youngest child if at all possible.
I've read about gallbladder "flushes" online that consist of drinking olive oil and lemon/grapefruit juice over a course of 12-18 hours...eating nothing...I think the goal is to essentially upset your stomach so much that you expel everything in there...but it just doesn't seem very safe while breastfeeding to go that long without eating or drinking anything...I'm concerned it could throw off my body's chemical balance enough to mess with my supply or make my baby sick somehow. Does anyone know of any natural gallstone remedies that are safe to do while breastfeeding??

Advertisement

Old 08-21-2008, 10:01 PM   #2
reesesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: gallstone remedies safe for breastfeeding?

Ok . . . so I had my Gallbladder removed before I had a baby BUT since I have been thru it and I assume you will have it Lap then I would say yes you can BF but you will be sore and will need DH or another family member there to help you with the baby. It was hard for me to get out of bed - I had to roll :P

I would do it . . . I suffered for a LONG time with it, and it won't get better - it will get worse. My last meal that landed me in the ER was a turkey sandwich w/ lettuce! I agree, contractions are not as painful as a Gall stone attack!!

HTH!

Working Mama, trying to stay on cloth FT
reesesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:58 PM   #3
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had Gallbladder surgery when I was 7months pregnant and still nursing DS. After 7months of the most awful pain I could ever imagine and a DR who said "it was nothing" a trip to the ER at 4am showed how awful my Gallbladder was!

I was able to nurse up until I was wheeled into the OR and as soon as I woke up after.

I would go ahead and have the surgery, make sure they know you are BFing and WILL be BFing and they can alter the meds they give you.

I had no problems nursing my 15month old right after, he even spent the night with me and nursed all night long!
Old 08-21-2008, 11:07 PM   #4
kattayanna_mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had out patient gall bladder surgery and was able to BF that day.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:13 PM   #5
sasra_nu
Registered Users
seller

Honestly, just have the surgery. I've been there, my first attack was very painful and they only got worse from there. My last attack lasted 6 hours and I thought I was going to die. It was like 5 times worse than labor, and my epi didn't work on 1 side.

Anyway... knowing how painful it can be, and it sounds like you were in pain too, I'd just have the surgery. I had my gallbladder out back in May and it went fine. I nursed that day - I was in pain and you will need someone to help you for a few days, but I was able to nurse my now 10-month-old who refuses to take a bottle.

You can absolutely nurse after general anesthesia, the only thing that may prevent you from nursing is if you need to take vicodin or something. I did take vicodin and nursed, according to kellymom.com it is okay, but I always waited about 4 hours after I took it to nurse, just in case.

I will say that I was able to stop my attacks for 6 weeks before my surgery by cutting out fatty foods. If you really don't want to have the surgery, that will go a long way in helping you avoid attacks.
sasra_nu is offline   Reply With Quote