Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-22-2008, 08:50 PM   #1
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
PLEASE DELETE

Hey all BF experts, I am experiencing something strange and it definitely concerns me.

So DS2 is 6 months and has been EBF since birth. He nurses 5 times per day at 7am ish, 11am ish, 3pm ish, 7pm ish and 10pm ish. Sleeps all night in his bed. Things have been all smoothe sailing for this lightning fast nurser until this week. Last Sunday night, he refused his 10 pm dream feed and has every night since. No biggee, I just put him back in bed and he sleeps until morning without that feeding so he's ready to drop it. Great. I pump and freeze at 10pm instead. All day nursing have been great as always and he has now added solids 1x/day the last 3 days.

Here's the worriesome part. Yesterday was a disaster of a day and when I went to nurse him at 730 for bed, my milk would not let down. I figured it was totally stress from the day and gave him a bottle of frozen milk (I have 50 in the freezer). Tried to pump and nothing. Got 6 ounces when I pumped again at 10pm. Well, tonight it did the same thing. No let down. Gave bottle. No milk from pumping though I can feel it in there. What gives?? I have NO let down issues at his other feedings.

Has anyone ever had trouble with let down at one certain feeding? Any suggestions? I really want my sweet angel boy to nurse for our last time of the day together. Its precious to me and I so enjoy this being OUR TIME. Thanks in advance from one upset mama.

Advertisement

Leslie Helpmeet since 1999. WAHM to Big(04), Middle(08) and Little(09) and Double Blessings (10/13).Granola crunchy, scheduling, Evangelical Liberal mommy that CDs, BFs, ERFs, & BWs. An attached parent without the Attachment Parenting.

Last edited by GEMQEMCABOOSE; 08-24-2008 at 10:01 AM.
GEMQEMCABOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 08:59 PM   #2
kittykat2481
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: No let down at 1 feeding?

I wish I had some helpful words, but I'm experiencing something similar. As DS gets older (he's 8 months now) it takes longer and longer for let down to occur. It's really tough when pumping too. I'm curious to see what other responses you get. Thanks for asking this question!
Old 08-22-2008, 09:09 PM   #3
Treasures Of Mine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't know if this is it, but I know when my babies get older, I don't tend to feel let downs. They hurt like crazy for the first 4 months or so, but then I just don't feel them.

But then again, you're pumping and seeing the non-milk issue. I've heard wine relaxes some mama's, and they have faster let downs?
Old 08-22-2008, 09:11 PM   #4
dorfmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

After nursing is firmly established, it is not unusual to not feel the let down. Are you sure your baby wasn't getting any milk? Pumping is not a good indication of milk supply as the baby is so much more efficient at emptying the breast.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:16 PM   #5
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am sure there is no let down because he is getting a little foremilk then doing that fast suckling to try to get let down (never has had to do this), getting mad there is no milk and unlatching and crying. All of which we have NEVER had. I have rarely been able to feel let down with either baby LOL. I am so glad there are mamas reading and responding. That means a lot. Thanks!
Leslie Helpmeet since 1999. WAHM to Big(04), Middle(08) and Little(09) and Double Blessings (10/13).Granola crunchy, scheduling, Evangelical Liberal mommy that CDs, BFs, ERFs, & BWs. An attached parent without the Attachment Parenting.
GEMQEMCABOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:35 PM   #6
sweety13
Registered Users

My Mood:

I don't know mama, but I do think my letdown takes a little longer than it used too, my LO is EBF and 5 mths. Hope it works out tomorrow night for you! Maybe have some tea or something relaxing a little before, or I have heard nursing in the tub can help with Let down issues? Good Luck!
Old 08-23-2008, 09:17 AM   #7
WhatWasIThinking
Registered Users

My Mood:

My LO is 7 months and my letdowns are taking longer. I know this because he cries at the beginning of the nursing session where he never did before. Not every one but mostly the morning ones so i really have no advice! Just
WhatWasIThinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 10:16 AM   #8
2moms2IDGs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

First off try to relax...that will definitely interfere with let down.

You could try a warm compress b4 you go to nurse him. Or take a nice warm shower and dont get dressed. Also undress him down to his diaper so you have some skin to skin contact as well.