Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-23-2008, 08:06 AM   #11
clanoblackadders
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: I dont want to stop....

that mediction is called domperidone. I don't think this is an extreme case which requires meds. Like others have said: Supply and Demand. Many mothers think that a couple bottles supplementation is harmless but even one bottle is too many and can affect milk supply and the way that baby sucks at the breast. Milk flows so much easier from bottle - it drips and the infant just keeps sucking as a reflex - regardless of hunger. In essence, they get lazy because it takes more work to draw the milk from the breast.
IMO, do as others have suggested, stop the bottles and if you need to supplement use a supplemental nurser tube which attaches to the breast so that the baby has to suck at the breast. Best way to ensure adequate intake and increase supply. Good luck Mama.

Advertisement

clanoblackadders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 09:09 AM   #12
mdeveer
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudwahm View Post
I think every situation is different but I would suggest not feeding the formula and just bf on demand. For the first few days it may seem like you are bfing constantly but it will bring up your supply. The human body is amazing and with bfing it is all about supply and demand. If the demand is up then your body will make enough supply. You can also get Mothers Milk tea...That has always helped me up my supply. Good Luck!!!

You can make it!
Estella
Quote:
Originally Posted by igglebah View Post
it is soooooo important to stay calm and positive. i know this is very difficult, but the more stressed you are the less milk you will make. when you sit down to nurse her repeat to yourself over and over and over and over and over and over "i can make milk, i will make milk, i will feed my baby with my milk" or something like that. breathe in and out, slowly.

also, contact your local la leche league for additional help. they are wonderful.

good luck mama
IMO, DON'T pump 'til you're back to strictly bfing if that's possible - aka, if you're a sahm. I am a huge proponent that the best way to dry yourself up is to worry about it, and most moms determine on their own that they're drying up b/c they've been pumping a lot and don't see as much, which turns into a vicious cycle of stress and decreased supply. If you do work and are truly determined to get back to ebf, you've got 2 days and try to take 1 or 2 off next week to really get her back at it before having to pump, etc. If she's having breast attachment issues, I do have SEVERAL mom friends whose babies refused to latch in the beginning, so they strictly pumped and ebf through bottles for 12+ each w/o any issues of supply unless they started to worry. It's possible, but it's going to be tiring for a few days.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:58 PM   #13
baby_schultz
Registered Users

thank you mamas so much... i am going to work hard on having her nurse all day other then when she needs to take her meds... she gets a bottle for that...

Are you pumping? Do you work? How often does your DD nurse? Do you nurse first and then offer formula? Do you feel letdown happen? I know this is lots of questions, but it will be helpful to those of us trying to find a solution

yes i try to pump if she has a bottle... she would nurse all day... hour and a half to two... no DH just gives her a bottle(he really wants me to nurse her though)... no i dont feel a letdown...
baby_schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 01:04 PM   #14
justjess
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudwahm View Post
I think every situation is different but I would suggest not feeding the formula and just bf on demand. For the first few days it may seem like you are bfing constantly but it will bring up your supply. The human body is amazing and with bfing it is all about supply and demand. If the demand is up then your body will make enough supply. You can also get Mothers Milk tea...That has always helped me up my supply. Good Luck!!!

You can make it!
Estella

WOW this is sooooo true i had a low birth weight baby who only wanted to sleep therefore my milk supply was really low all the time. i didnt supplement though what was mentioned above worked wonders. for a couple days i would just feed him al the time literally we didnt go anywhere just so he could get the milk to start pouring in and IT WORKED!!!! i will add that dark chocolate and fresh almonds made my milk also seem like it was overflowing so hope this helps!
Jessica wife to my sexy soldier SAHM to THE BOSS(9) THE SCIENTIST(8) THE CLOWN(5) THE CRAZY(3) and MISSY MOO(1) and #6 arriving summer 2013!!!
find me on FBmy ISO/IHA
justjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 01:08 PM   #15
justjess
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Smile Re: I dont want to stop....

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby_schultz View Post
thank you mamas so much... i am going to work hard on having her nurse all day other then when she needs to take her meds... she gets a bottle for that...

Are you pumping? Do you work? How often does your DD nurse? Do you nurse first and then offer formula? Do you feel letdown happen? I know this is lots of questions, but it will be helpful to those of us trying to find a solution

yes i try to pump if she has a bottle... she would nurse all day... hour and a half to two... no DH just gives her a bottle(he really wants me to nurse her though)... no i dont feel a letdown...
hahaha my youngest ate every hour and half for about the first 4 months!!!LOL talk about draining but thats what seemed to be what he needed. now he's 8 months and eats every 3-4 hours which is sooooo much better!!!
Jessica wife to my sexy soldier SAHM to THE BOSS(9) THE SCIENTIST(8) THE CLOWN(5) THE CRAZY(3) and MISSY MOO(1) and #6 arriving summer 2013!!!
find me on FBmy ISO/IHA
justjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 01:13 PM   #16
jesshb
Registered Users
seller

Hey mama, I don't have any new advice to add. There are a lot of great tips here.

I just want to encourage you that while feeding every 2 hours is overwhelming, that is probably one of the best ways to get your supply up. I think you wrote above that she would eat every two hours if you let her...that is her way of telling you that she wants to continue Once you get re-established and you lo gets bigger, she will stretch longer.

Hang in there, you can do it!!
Old 08-23-2008, 01:27 PM   #17
skyericsson
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes what pp said. And feed her on demand, forget the clock, forget the time etc... relax in bed or on the couch with her and nurse, nurse, nurse her Your nursing sessions will strech out later, don't think about that now. Make sure to drink your water/liquids. Also massage your bre*st before to encourage high fat milk and let down. And skin to skin nursing if you can when home All out Also you could use a LactAid it's like a SNS but better as you can lay down with it. http://secure.cartsvr.net/catalogs/c...showprevnext=1
These suggestions and what pp said all helped us and DS is now EBF and he is going strong he just had his first birthday
cosleeping, conservative yet extra crispycrunchy wife to my loving DH and sahm of our gorgeous princess sophia9/03 and cutie pie prince sven 8/07 and our beautiful sweet rainbow preemie born at 30 weeks Sång (pronounced "song")

Last edited by skyericsson; 08-23-2008 at 01:30 PM.
skyericsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 09:00 PM   #18
abbycadabby
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganbathgate View Post
Yeah, it's about supply and demand, if you're giving formula then your body is making even less milk. I would suggest extra pumping to try to increase your supply, drinking lots of fluids and trying to rest and keep stress at bay. Kellymom.com has lots of good information as well as a forum for questions.
Good Luck and HUGS
great advice, mama. Supplementing leads to more supplementing. Id also consider some mother's milk tea and maybe some fenugreek? It's certainly possible to salvage the nursing relationship and stop supplementing, but it begins with either stopping or slowing supplementing.
abbycadabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 09:30 PM   #19
Mac-a-Doodle
Registered Users
Formerly: gstaley
seller

I drink lots of water and oatmeal, it seems to done the trick.
Mac-a-Doodle is offline   Reply With Quote