Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-15-2008, 12:13 PM   #11
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: newborn's latch...help?

I didn't read the responses in great detail or look at the kellymom link posted, but here is a great site with videos and all. It really, really helped me. It's crazy because it's a man showing you how to do it and giving advice, but he's right on. The cross cradle hold he shows made a huge difference for me when the twins were struggling to latch. If the latch doesn't turn out to be the problem, it may be yeast. I've had pain since having my first son and again with the twins. After seeing many LC's and working on latch a ton, it's yeast. But, latch is usually the problem.

http://www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html

Advertisement

Old 08-15-2008, 03:07 PM   #12
Tiny Trousers
Registered Users
Formerly: Knits4Noah
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine View Post
for the headache - are you drinking enough? I get headaches when I am not hydrated enough, and since you're putting out fluids while bf'ing, it might be connected.
It's interesting that you say that bc I had been keeping a big water jug by me all the time, day and night, until 2 or 3 days ago. That's about when the headaches started. I guess I need to keep my jug full

Thanks for all the replies! I have been trying to check his latch. Yesterday I got on the scale by myself and then got on the scale with him and he weighed 10 pounds. He is 12 days old and was born at 8 lbs 8 oz, so I know he is getting milk.

Tiny Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 04:57 PM   #13
hlmagrow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You can also contact a local la leche league leader (if you're in the us, sorry I forgot to check your info). Go to llli.org (LLLI.org) and you can find a support person in your area. Or I agree the hospital LC or private LC. Many hospitals also have support groups.

How does your nipple look when the baby comes off? Is it pointy, or look like the end of a lipstick? In addition, does baby have a diaper rash or white patches in mouth? Do your nipples itch or have other symptoms of thrush? Something to consider if the latch is ok.
Good luck!
hlmagrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 06:15 PM   #14
Tiny Trousers
Registered Users
Formerly: Knits4Noah
seller
seller

My Mood:

After watching the Newman videos I haven't had any pain! It's crazy how that fixed it... And I have really been trying to keep hydrated.

I even sent the videos to my sisters in law who are both expecting. One had difficulty at the beginning of her first sons nursing.

Tiny Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:09 PM   #15
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSRobertson View Post
After watching the Newman videos I haven't had any pain! It's crazy how that fixed it... And I have really been trying to keep hydrated.

I even sent the videos to my sisters in law who are both expecting. One had difficulty at the beginning of her first sons nursing.
I'm so glad he helped you. The cross cradle hold made such a difference for me. It's so funny he's a guy with such great insight into nursing.