Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-21-2008, 07:37 PM   #1
clarinetb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question about being away from 20 month old for 5 days

Hi! I'm going to be away for almost 5 days from our little one at 20 months old. She nurses a bit, not a tonne, at least twice a day. We've gotten away from night-time nursing as it seems to improve the sleep, but she loves to nurse in our bed in the morning.

Any advice from those who have been there and done that? I haven't pumped in months, but I'm thinking I should take it with me for when I get sore!

Advertisement

Old 08-21-2008, 11:28 PM   #2
kimsansf
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Question about being away from 20 month old for 5 days

Ive done that.... not with a 20 month old... jackson was only 5 months, but I was away for 6 days.... (im a grad student too)

I would say get a pump, you will need one. You can pump a bit before you go to build up a freezer supply for her while you are away. That will do two things: make sure you have enough stored for her and increase your production before you leave so that if your production goes down while you are away, you have a little cushion.

I'd also introduce her a little to a bottle so that things arent too different all at once for her.

When i left I had over 300 oz in my freezer, but Jackson was EBF and I had way more than i needed, you probably dont need to have that much stored up if she is just nursing twice per day, but if you have your SO give her a bottle during one of her nursing times, you will get an idea of how much she drinks at each sitting and therefore, how much you need to store for her.

Kim-san: mama to Jackson 7.17.07 and expecting a Katie-bird 1.17.11
kimsansf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 06:35 AM   #3
clarinetb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't have to worry about having BM available to her while I'm away as I gave up pumping and started with cow's milk for bottles when I'm not around when she was 13 months.

I figure my supply will definitely drop, but wasn't sure others experiences on whether it is likely to come back up given she doesn't nurse a whole lot.

Wow, 6 days when he was 5 months is a lot, that must have been hard on you!
Old 08-22-2008, 06:43 AM   #4
babyGmommy
Registered Users
seller

i would bring your pump. but i would maybe use it at the times that you would normally nurse her... as for the milk freezer if you think it would be a taste/comfort (if that makes any scene?) then i might have a enough for a few sippy cups in the freezer. but if you havn't pumping in a whole long time then it just might not be worth it...

20 months i'm sure who ever is going to watch her is going to keep her happy and her mind on other things... When you come home i'm sure she'll plop herself right next to you and want to nurse.
Have fun!
Old 08-22-2008, 12:04 PM   #5
kimsansf
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarinetb View Post
I don't have to worry about having BM available to her while I'm away as I gave up pumping and started with cow's milk for bottles when I'm not around when she was 13 months.

I figure my supply will definitely drop, but wasn't sure others experiences on whether it is likely to come back up given she doesn't nurse a whole lot.

Wow, 6 days when he was 5 months is a lot, that must have been hard on you!
hmmm... it took a few days for my supply to rebound, even with the pumping buffer and pumping while i was away (though I was in an area without electricity, so i only had a hand pump to use and the conditions were very very uncomfortable = hard to get a let down)

Im not a LC, so I dont know if 20 months of nursing makes your supply more resilient, but I feel like if you pump at least once a day while you are away, your supply should rebound...

and yes, it was awful to be away from my tiny little baby for so long!

Kim-san: mama to Jackson 7.17.07 and expecting a Katie-bird 1.17.11
kimsansf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 07:36 PM   #6
segolene
Registered Users

At 20 months I wouldn't worry too much about milk supply.

Here is my experience:

When my daughter was 24 months, I had to go to Europe for work. The trip lasted 10 days. I was a little worried (my daughter was at the time nursing about 4 times per 24hrs). But everything went well. I pumped about once a day, for my own comfort (I pumped very little but it seemed to do the trick). When I was away my daughter had no milk at all (she doesn't like cow's milk and I hadn't the time to pump before the trip). When I came back my daughter nursed like nothing had happened.

My husband told me that the first 2 nights were a little difficult and that torwards the end of my trip my daughter seemed a little sad and asked for me.

Good luck for your trip. I am sure everything will be fine.
segolene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 08:39 PM   #7
clarinetb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for your input. Hard to find mamas who know what you're talking about when you're asking about nursing a toddler

kimsansf, that sounds like quite the trip!! Yikes! No power....