Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-22-2008, 09:43 PM   #1
baby_schultz
Registered Users

Unhappy I dont want to stop....

ok i am new to this board...

my daughter is 3 and a half months...
and i dont have enough milk for her... so she is getting formula also...
i thought i wanted to stop but i dont want to... i love it...

how can i get my supply up.... i have no one i can ask because my sister had to stop at 4 months and 5 months with her kids...
i am down to 8oz in my freezer...

please help me...

Advertisement

baby_schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:03 PM   #2
proudwahm
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: I dont want to stop....

I think every situation is different but I would suggest not feeding the formula and just bf on demand. For the first few days it may seem like you are bfing constantly but it will bring up your supply. The human body is amazing and with bfing it is all about supply and demand. If the demand is up then your body will make enough supply. You can also get Mothers Milk tea...That has always helped me up my supply. Good Luck!!!

You can make it!
Estella
proudwahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:07 PM   #3
*Katherine*
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Are you pumping? Do you work? How often does your DD nurse? Do you nurse first and then offer formula? Do you feel letdown happen? I know this is lots of questions, but it will be helpful to those of us trying to find a solution
Old 08-22-2008, 10:18 PM   #4
livn4him
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you really have a low milk supply and need to use formula, I would suggest not using bottles but instead using a supplimental nursing system. You can get them from Medela. If nothing else works the med Reglan will help.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:30 PM   #5
Rainshine Designs
formerly "meganbathgate"
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudwahm View Post
I think every situation is different but I would suggest not feeding the formula and just bf on demand. For the first few days it may seem like you are bfing constantly but it will bring up your supply. The human body is amazing and with bfing it is all about supply and demand. If the demand is up then your body will make enough supply. You can also get Mothers Milk tea...That has always helped me up my supply. Good Luck!!!

You can make it!
Estella
Yeah, it's about supply and demand, if you're giving formula then your body is making even less milk. I would suggest extra pumping to try to increase your supply, drinking lots of fluids and trying to rest and keep stress at bay. Kellymom.com has lots of good information as well as a forum for questions.
Good Luck and HUGS

Enter code DSMAMA at checkout to receive 5% off your order.
Rainshine Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:33 PM   #6
starbuckmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with the mamas here. Stop formula and start nursing a whole lot more. Lots of fluid too. When your little one stops nursing so much, your body adjusts and stops making so much. When she nurses more, your body will make more to adjust to her needs.
starbuckmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:37 PM   #7
Leigh179
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by livn4him View Post
If you really have a low milk supply and need to use formula, I would suggest not using bottles but instead using a supplimental nursing system. You can get them from Medela. If nothing else works the med Reglan will help.
I don't know if that's the same med my dr gave me, but my supply started drying up and I told my ob/gyn and he gave me some med that he said was originally for something to do with diabetes, but one of the side effects of it was that it made patients start lactating. Worked for me! You could ask your dr.
Tessa, happily married to my best friend, Paul. , 'ing, BW'ing, selective/delayed vaxing, non-circ, SAH/HS'ing Mom to Jenika (5/1/01),Carolyn (5/8/07), Lydia (8/19/09), Caleb (3/30/12) & our angel baby, Harper Lynn (7/8/10/) , waiting for us in our Heavenly Father's arms.
Leigh179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:37 PM   #8
TieNappyQueen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Agreed. The more you nurse the more you make.
Eat oatmeal, coconut, drink root beer, fenucreek tea ( you WILL smell like IHOP!!) it takes dedication but you are doing the best thing you can for dc by stickin to it. Drink water all the freakin time, i got a huge handle jug thing and filled it half up with frozen berries and citrus and ice and water and then i wanted to drink it all day. . You can get support here or find a local LLL we love to help mamas like you out!
Old 08-22-2008, 10:51 PM   #9
igglebah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

it is soooooo important to stay calm and positive. i know this is very difficult, but the more stressed you are the less milk you will make. when you sit down to nurse her repeat to yourself over and over and over and over and over and over "i can make milk, i will make milk, i will feed my baby with my milk" or something like that. breathe in and out, slowly.

also, contact your local la leche league for additional help. they are wonderful.

good luck mama

Last edited by igglebah; 08-22-2008 at 10:55 PM.
igglebah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 07:59 AM   #10
RockinClothBunz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

These mommas all gave you some really good advice. Good luck! Please ask as many questions as necessary.
Auntie to Trentin 5-31-09
RockinClothBunz is offline   Reply With Quote