Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-10-2008, 03:05 PM   #21
jackie010307
Registered Users
seller

Re: rear facing toddler???? why?

Perhaps you should direct your doctor to the aap website, where they now recommend rear facing as long as possible. http://www.aap.org/family/carseatguide.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethanyb View Post
I've been surprised how much misinformation there is out there. So many of my friends think I'm nuts for having my almost 2 yr old daughter rear-facing. Even the doctor we saw at her 18 month checkup said to turn her car seat to face forward. All of the safety research I've found says rear-facing is better, so we have kept her that way and plan to keep her there as long as the seat allows.

Advertisement

Old 02-10-2008, 06:40 PM   #22
doberbrat
Registered Users
seller

add me to the b/c its safer camp

my cousin's dh is a surgeon. He thought her silly for keeping their kids RF till past 2 but didnt say too much .... recently, he had a child come in that was near 2. The car was hit head on by a drunk driver on the highway. Parents had some serious injuries and the kid would have certainly been internally decapitated had he been ff.

The other issue is you're much more likely to be hit in the rear of the car than head on.

dd is 28mo and still rf. she's started to notice that one of her friends sits ff (we sometimes carpool) but too bad for her. RF she stays. I havent decided whether I'll switch her around the summer or next year when the seat in DH's car expires.
Mamma to the best dd 10/05 and Expecting #2 edd 11/29/09 and 2 furkids!
doberbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:24 PM   #23
kmcscott
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Okay, hoping I can sub and ask this que...
What about a momma that has a 30lb 1 year old and she wants to do RFing but the seat is almost to the weight limit? What are her affordable options?
Old 02-11-2008, 12:08 AM   #24
momto3Es
Registered Users
Formerly: momto2Es
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcscott View Post
Okay, hoping I can sub and ask this que...
What about a momma that has a 30lb 1 year old and she wants to do RFing but the seat is almost to the weight limit? What are her affordable options?
Well, lucky for that Mommy, Dorel makes the cheapest convertible car seat on the market & it just happens to have the highest rear facing limit on the US market. It's called the Cosco Scenera & it's available for around $40 at Walmart, Kmart, Target, Babies R Us, Toy R Us, etc. (stay away from the overhead shield version).

It meets the same safety standards as EVERY seat on the market, but RF longer that most of the others. My DD's pricey Britax only rear faces to 33 lbs. You can bet your butt when she hits 33 pounds, her pretty flowery Marathon is going in Daddy's truck, and her little butt is going in her rear facing Scenera in Mommy's van where she rides all the time until she gains those last 2 pounds!

To those who ask...
When in a crash, your body travels towards the point of impact. If you are in a frontal crash, you go towards the front of the car. So, a RF child's developing head & spine will be protected by the shell of his seat.

Statistically, rear end crashes are happen at lower rates of speed & are less severe (they usually happen in stop & go traffic).

A forward-facing child under age two is 4-5 times more likely to be injured in a crash than a rear-facing child.

Here's another good article

Last edited by momto3Es; 02-11-2008 at 12:09 AM.
momto3Es is offline   Reply With Quote