Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-10-2014, 08:39 PM   #51
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
So...here we are like a year later. Nephew only makes two sounds, ma and da, besides screaming. I have hinted several times at having him evaluated through ei, retesting his hearing, and things, but have gotten no where. I really truly do not think he can hear, but bil thinks he can. They are wanting to wait until he is at least eighteen months to see if he gains six new words...But he doesn't even babble or make sounds. Quietest kid I've ever seen. And they want to wait a minimum of one year before have his hearing rechecked. I know it is their kiddo, but I am just so sad for my nephew and I feel like they are losing very valuable time that could really make a difference long term. What would you say or do in this situation?
So sad. So many red flags here, theres no reason to wait. None at all. There is NO SUCH THING as "developmental hearing loss". It may be treatable (fluid in the ears, for example), but its not a phase kids grow out of. Hes over a year old with 2 sounds? He should at least be doing some variegated babbling, like mixing up sounds. Does he do vocal play? Attempt to repeat sounds you make?

My heart breaks for all the children whos parents dont take hearing seriously. It can lead to so many problems later on because they think itsnot a big deal. I hope something pushes them to change thier mind.

Advertisement

mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:00 AM   #52
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: *Update* post 43 How to Help Family with Deaf Infant

He's sixteen months old. No babbling, no vocal play, no repeating sounds. I want to help him so much! I just don't think there's anything I can do if they aren't willing to see it. Sil has never really had a good parenting example (she was in and out of foster and group homes) and I just don't think she realizes how important it is because the early years make such a big difference! Other people keep telling her things like "so and so didn't talk til he was three and he's fine" and "boys just get language skills later, he'll get there." Oh it makes me want to scream! Yes those things can be true, but look at everything that's going on!! So I've mentioned, I've hinted, and I keep asking about EI and hearing checks, but I haven't gotten through yet. I've started talking about signing with them a LOT now, hoping that he can at least pick some communication up that way, but they aren't very good about doing it with him, I think he just knows one sign. I'm just so frustrated and sad.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:30 AM   #53
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten
He's sixteen months old. No babbling, no vocal play, no repeating sounds. I want to help him so much! I just don't think there's anything I can do if they aren't willing to see it. Sil has never really had a good parenting example (she was in and out of foster and group homes) and I just don't think she realizes how important it is because the early years make such a big difference! Other people keep telling her things like "so and so didn't talk til he was three and he's fine" and "boys just get language skills later, he'll get there." Oh it makes me want to scream! Yes those things can be true, but look at everything that's going on!! So I've mentioned, I've hinted, and I keep asking about EI and hearing checks, but I haven't gotten through yet. I've started talking about signing with them a LOT now, hoping that he can at least pick some communication up that way, but they aren't very good about doing it with him, I think he just knows one sign. I'm just so frustrated and sad.
This is so sad. I can't even start to comprehend why these parents have no interest in doing/being better for their child. It is so very sad
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:58 AM   #54
aries416
Registered Users
seller

As a parent if a speech delayed child who hears just fine, these stories make me so sad . I would do anything to get my son talking like his peers! Anything. I hoped briefly it was a hearing problem because I thought it might be easier to address.

I have a friend who complains constantly about how stressed and worried she is about her non-verbal 2.5 yr old. I'm paying out of pocket for therapy and have offered her many ways to get her son evaluated, whether by a developmental ped. Or my sons SLP. She refuses to pay a dime (and they could at least afford an eval). She'd rather just vent/be frustrated. I'm frustrated listening to it!