Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-24-2017, 01:29 AM   #1
peepip
Registered Users

Night time advice

Hi! I have a 5.5 month old boy whom I have just started EC'ing. We are going well but I think I want to get the ball rolling on night-dryness.

Usually we feed then sleep. He wears a disposable and a cloth diaper on top so prevent leaking. He normally wakes 1-2 times per night for food.

Tonight, I fed him, and before I put on his diapers and pyjamas I gave him a chance to 'go' over the sink. He was NOT happy about it. He cried and screamed until I put the diapers on him and read him a story.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what I can do? I'm expecting a very slow and gradual process so I'm happy with any suggestions, even subtle changes I can make to his routine that will help him eventually become night-time-dry

Thanks!!

Advertisement

peepip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:56 AM   #2
doughpat
Registered Users
seller

Re: Night time advice

Our 7 month old has been EC'd since he was very young (~5 weeks) and he's nowhere near nighttime dryness. To be honest, you might have unrealistic expectations considering he's sort of just getting going anyway. I think that nighttime dryness is generally a pretty 'advanced' stage.

I'd focus on increasing your "odds" during waking hours.

One other thing that I've read is to always give a "potty-tunity" right after waking, so that they eventually understand that if they hold it through the nap, they'll be able to go right away. Its easier said than done though, because often they aren't very happy on waking, and its tempting to just nurse to calm them down. Our little guy will often be mildly crying/fussing as we put him on the potty after the nap, but he'll pee anyway, and then stop crying. I think he doesn't quite connect the dots yet....lots of patience involved with EC
doughpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 12:06 PM   #3
sarah-rose
Registered Users

I always use a fleece liner on top of the night diaper and that allows for the dry feel throughout the night. I love the Malten Mills one sold on GMD. They are amazing! Also, a charcoal bamboo insert would also give him that dry feeling for nights.
sarah-rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 02:22 PM   #4
notsomuch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We always wait for our little ones to be night time ready. At 14 months, she's just getting where she stays dry through the night - and not every time.
Wife and athlete Mama of the following cluster of girls: 12 year old, 11 year old ,(VBAC), 7 year old (VBAC #2) and my toddler girl, 2 years old
Why on earth is this laundry lady smiling?
notsomuch is offline   Reply With Quote