Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-30-2014, 07:22 AM   #1
nicolehedges
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Padfolding Flats on a Newborn? Yes or No?

We are cautiously expecting baby #10 next summer.....I'm all ready thinking about newborn diapering.....crazy early, I know!

My thinking is that for ease I will padfold teeny flats into covers. I can have the flats folded ahead of time and just simply put them into a cover at changing time. Has anyone done this? What's your experience? Good idea or no due to EBF poo leaking onto covers each time? I'm pretty good at folding and jelly rolling on bigger babes, but not on teeny newborns.....so that is part of my reasoning for padfolding.

I have tons of little flats to use, but would only 4 covers right now. I know I need more covers....I'm thinking 8-12 total.....or less and I can just rinse/wash out at each change and they can dry so using 4-6 covers total......

I would love any thoughts or experience.....we have used AIOs, fitted and prefolds on newbies in the past. We just haven't padfolded.....I liked prefolds/covers best of all, but sold all of the teeny ones so am trying to work with what I have.

Advertisement

Old 11-30-2014, 07:36 AM   #2
ASpiro
Registered Users
seller

Re: Padfolding Flats on a Newborn? Yes or No?

Congrats! I only have experience with our one little girl, but we used prefolds + covers almost exclusively in newborn days and I stopped trifold ing them bc poop ALWAYS got on the cover if I did that. I started fastening with a snappi and looking back I think I prob did it pretty loose bc I didn't know any better but it was still enough to keep it from the cover MOST of the time. HTH
ASpiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 07:45 AM   #3
Maplecat
Registered Users
seller

I've done pad folded flats with two of my newborns. With my son, I used Gerber gauze flats in newborn and small Proraps. They were cheap, easy to wash, and I had a hard time Snappi-ing them because they were so thin. I had nine covers and didn't mind covers getting dirty.

With my daughter, I had even more covers. I also preferred Osocozy flats paddolded because they were more absorbent.

Padfolded flats would not be my first choice for a newborn, but it was a nice way to round out my stash. It was easy to pre-load covers and have a quick change. If I didn't have so many covers, it would probably be pretty annoying.
Maplecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 08:13 AM   #4
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I prefer snappi'd prefolds or fitteds with covers for newborns. I tried the pad folded flats and prefolds and my newborns poop so much that i had to change covers with every diaper change. It just got to be a PITB. I wouldn't do it all the time, but for quick changes sure.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:31 AM   #5
nicolehedges
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Very helpful information!! It's good to hear from those who have tried this on newbies.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:43 PM   #6
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

I did padfolded flats and trifolded prefolds on my youngest two babies exclusively, after using AIOs and pockets with my older two. I love the simplicity, ease of washing, and quick drying. I fastened the prefolds and flats once in a while, but newborns go through SO many diapers that it seemed like every time I would get the diaper folded and pinned all nicely (like you, I am not very good on tiny babes), then it was time to change the diaper again!

I found that while EBF poo did leak on the cover sometimes, it didn't always. Lots of EBF poops are little ones that soaked right in. I needed about 1 cover for every 3 prefolds/flats to work out just right for my newborns.

If I have another baby, I will definitely padfold or trifold again!
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:22 PM   #7
yogamama28
Registered Users
seller

I trifolded newborn prefolds into Thirsties duo covers with my son and it worked perfectly. It was probably 50/50 on whether or not poop got on the cover. I had 8 covers and never ran out. It was just simpler for me than taking the time to Snappi a prefold on, only to change again so soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yogamama28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 01:55 PM   #8
nicolehedges
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda29 View Post
I did padfolded flats and trifolded prefolds on my youngest two babies exclusively, after using AIOs and pockets with my older two. I love the simplicity, ease of washing, and quick drying. I fastened the prefolds and flats once in a while, but newborns go through SO many diapers that it seemed like every time I would get the diaper folded and pinned all nicely (like you, I am not very good on tiny babes), then it was time to change the diaper again!

I found that while EBF poo did leak on the cover sometimes, it didn't always. Lots of EBF poops are little ones that soaked right in. I needed about 1 cover for every 3 prefolds/flats to work out just right for my newborns.

If I have another baby, I will definitely padfold or trifold again!
Great to hear!!! Thank you!! . I was thinking the same thing about the EBF poo soaking right in too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogamama28 View Post
I trifolded newborn prefolds into Thirsties duo covers with my son and it worked perfectly. It was probably 50/50 on whether or not poop got on the cover. I had 8 covers and never ran out. It was just simpler for me than taking the time to Snappi a prefold on, only to change again so soon.
This is exactly what I plan to use so it's nice to know how it worked fir you and how many covers you had!! 😊
Old 12-01-2014, 08:24 PM   #9
yogamama28
Registered Users
seller

I do think I used premie prefolds the first few weeks before he was ready for the bulk of newborn prefolds. He was a 36 weeker though so a little bit tiny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yogamama28 is offline   Reply With Quote