Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-12-2007, 01:19 PM   #1
michiko
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
So upset

Are there people who have gone into labor without having been anything previously? I just got back from my appt and for the 3rd week in a row was told that "my body isn't ready". Which I assume means I'm not dilated/effacing. I just need hope that my baby isn't going to be one of those super late ones. I want him here before Christmas, but just don't like the thought of inducing him. So I guess my question is for BTDT mommas, have you gone into labor (within like a week) after being told that nothing was going on? And believe me we are trying everything we can- walking, spicy food, sex, all of it and apparently still nothing. Thanks.

Advertisement

Old 12-12-2007, 01:24 PM   #2
ShannaMarie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: So upset

Plenty of people go into labor without any advance dilation or effacement - it can take hours or days.

Babies come when they're ready, and 40 weeks is just an estimate, give or take a couple weeks or so either way.

The last bit always seems to take forever, but before you know it, you'll be holding your sweet new babe.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:30 PM   #3
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

A good friend of mine was told at her Friday appt. that she had awhile yet, "the shop was closed up tight". Her water broke Sunday night, baby was born Monday morning.
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 03:34 PM   #4
katy_mb3
Registered Users
seller

At my 40-wk appt W/ #1, my OB told me I was only fingertip dilated and diagnosed me with a (I'm not kidding you) 'hostile cervix'. I don't know if it tried to bite his finger off or what..... He told me I had at least a week to go and was pretty terse with me when I refused to schedule an induction.

Anyway, I went into early labor that night and was holding my babe 48 hrs later. Internal exams are a complete waste of time for predicting when you'll go into labor. I wish OBs would keep their fingers outta there and just have faith in the baby to know when the time's right. You'll go into labor, Mama!! No one's ever been pregnant forever, though I know it seems like a distinct possibility when you're as far along as you are right now!!
katy_mb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 03:40 PM   #5
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy_mb3 View Post
Anyway, I went into early labor that night and was holding my babe 48 hrs later. Internal exams are a complete waste of time for predicting when you'll go into labor. I wish OBs would keep their fingers outta there and just have faith in the baby to know when the time's right. You'll go into labor, Mama!! No one's ever been pregnant forever, though I know it seems like a distinct possibility when you're as far along as you are right now!!
LOL! I totally agree w/ you. W/ my 2nd, I was dilated starting at 36 weeks (perhaps earlier, but that was my first internal) and the day she was born at 40w 2days (before I was in labor), I was 4cm and 80% effaced!!! So I was dilated for at least a month...
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 03:58 PM   #6
journey
Banned
seller

Gosh, my babies seemed to never want to come out. My son was almost three weeks late before the doctors induced me. My daughter was induced a week early due to medical problems. And my last and favorite delivery was baby #3. She was a couple weeks late but my first natural labor with no induction, no pain killers, nothing. It was so worth it, not being induced, not being given pain meds, because usually when you are induced it's a bit more intense. I could actually get up right after having her and walk back to my room like nothing happened.

It's really hard those last couple of weeks because you are given an arrival time and no one shows up.

Keep in mind that due dates can be off. Especially if you aren't 100% positive of when you ovulated. My son was bigger than normal so they kept telling me that I was further along then I really was. After my first baby I told myself to plan on the due date being two weeks further than what the doctors said. Then there aren't false expectations and if he/she arrives earlier it's a happy surprise.

Also I really feel like a baby knows when it's time to come. Maybe there are extra nutrients or just a little more growing time he/she needs to be absolutely perfect. I wouldn't recommend inducing unless it's for a medical reason, because honestly it can make for a crappy birth experience and can be hard work on the baby as well.

Just think, if baby doesn't come by Christmas you could try for the New Year's baby. I've always thought that would be kind of cool to have the first baby of the year.

If you can get your hands on some pure essential oils (health food store) clary sage is an excellent one for bringing on labor. Sniff it right out of the bottle a few times a day. Also nipple stimulation, rolling your nipples between your fingers releases chemicals that trigger contractions, also what helps you relax during breastfeeding and helps your uterus shrink back down to normal. Just don't go too crazy with this as it can stimulate some pretty intense contractions which you don't want until your near the end of delivery.

Hang in there mama!
journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 03:59 PM   #7
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well...you don't want to hear my entire story...but...I was tight and high until AFTER my due date...Dr said cervix felt like a 16 wk cervix- ain't nothing giving. My water broke spontaneously 4 days after my due date- still nothing happening in the cervix dept even after that until they did some cervadil...She was born a "few" hours later...vaginally...
athlete wife to B and Mama to M 11.06 G 03.08 S 05.11 ^#4^
Cautiously expecting #5
www.littlesmithsgrowingup.blogspot.com
Mirasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 04:03 PM   #8
BeckyP
Registered Users
seller

With my son I had no sign of labor until my water broke 10 days before EDD.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:16 PM   #9
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With The Kid, the OB was talking about how once I hit 40 weeks they'd schedule me for twice weekly apts and that at 42 weeks we'd be talking induction/cs. The day of my due date, I went in for my reg checkup and was already dilated to a 4 and was holding my baby less than 24 hours later. Oh, and I didn't have "regular" contractions. They were more like braxton hicks in that the whole uterus didn't thighten and there was neither rhyme nor pattern to them at all. Of course, once the doctor got it in his head to break my water (I was already fully dilated), that's when they became regular and painful.
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 06:57 PM   #10
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

I had my appt on Friday afternoon and was told that they would see me next week to start discussing induction(I would be 41 weeks then) since I was not at all effaced or dilated and dd was still very high. Saturday was my edd. Sunday at 3am I began with contractions and she was out at 1:19pm that same day. The day after my due date, two days after I was told that I would make it at least another week because nothing was happening. So anything is possible. Of course the day of my due date I drove my sis down a bumpy road to her bf's house, I walked 2 miles, ate italian food, and mentally BEGGED dd to come out. But I doubt any of those had anything to do with the fact that she was born 24 hours later.