Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-15-2013, 08:37 PM   #1
k.a.y
Registered Users

My Mood:
Smile Membrane Sweep

How effective was your membrane sweep (strip)? Also, how many weeks were you and how dilated/effaced?

I am having a membrane sweep on Wednesday at 38w5d. I was 1-2cm and little over 50% effaced at last weeks appt. Hopefully more by this appt but I obviously have no way of knowing.

I've been hearing both extremes from labor within hours to nothing for weeks so just wanted some stories.

TIA for sharing!!

Advertisement

k.a.y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:45 PM   #2
Cashmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Membrane Sweep

Mine wasn't effective, and I had it at 39 weeks. I started cramping a lot after. Is there a season they are doing it? There really is no scientific basis for it.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:04 PM   #3
need some diaps!
Registered Users
seller

I feel like if I could go back I would never let them do it!! With my first 2 my water broke and then nothing. I of course "had" to get to the hospital right away and then be pumped full of pitocin and have long miserable births. With my third I was sick of the interference and had baby at home with my husband. She was 8 days "overdue" but I had an amazing 3 hour labor and everything was perfect. Did the membrane sweep make my water break with my first 2? I have no idea but it did hurt and did not make me start contracting thats for sure!
need some diaps! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:58 AM   #4
mama2tommy
Registered Users
seller

My MW tried when I was 39.5 weeks with my last child - my BP was going up, so we kind of needed to get things going if we could. I was so high & tight that she couldn't reach, and we agreed to try again the next week...ended up having baby that night.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:18 PM   #5
Colorwithwords
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
With DD I was 38.4 and started having contractions a few hours later and had a 26 hour labor.

This time I was 38.5 and 3 cm. Midwife didn't think it would work because she couldn't really do a thorough job. I woke up at 2am to contractions (sweep had been at 10am). Labored for 6 hours this time, only 2.5-3 hours of hard labor!
Old 07-20-2013, 01:26 PM   #6
sublime.mommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Seems kinda early. Is there a medical reason to try to begin labor prematurely?

I wouldn't do it, but I tend to avoid any interventions that aren't absolutely necessary.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:27 PM   #7
leyash
Registered Users
seller

DDC, but my dr stripped mine at 3cm at 38 and 6. i went into labor that morning, ctx every 10 minutes. lost plug through the day, intermittent ctx. about 36 hours later, ctx came on full force, he was born a few hours later. worked for me!
leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:32 PM   #8
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

Had my membranes sweeped at 40 weeks 5 days with my oldest. I went into labor that night. Had them swept at 40 weeks with my second and nothing happened.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:06 PM   #9
k.a.y
Registered Users

My Mood:

Ended up not doing sweep that day. I did however do it yesterday (39w4d) and had bleeding and contractions for the rest of the day about 10-15min apart (some less). Today the contractions are not as regular but I think I lost my mucus plug Hopefully laboring begins soon?? I cannot wait to meet my son!
I do however go again Friday if he does not make an appearance, I think he may strip me again, guess we will see!
k.a.y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:11 PM   #10
MrsAsh
Registered Users
seller
seller

DDC, but I had mine done at 1 cm at 38 weeks, labor started immediately and he was born 14 hours after the sweep.