Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-01-2012, 10:13 AM   #31
moonlightblonde
Registered Users
seller

Re: Is it just me or are wahm diaper prices on the rise?

I just had this issue with a local cd store owner - it isn't even like she is MAKING any diapers (which I will spend more on, I *heart* my greenline covers even though they are 20$ a piece)...she flipped because I suggested buying in the US to save some money and she tripped that I was against supporting locally..I am all for helping other mamas but sometimes cost plays a factor - I bought 6bge's, 2 flips and 2 econobums from the US for 180$ with a free swaddle blanket...it would have cost me over 270$ from her for the exact same product.

Advertisement

Old 04-03-2012, 12:06 AM   #32
RainbowLullaby
Registered
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fancy Pansy View Post
Assuming PUL is around $13 yd (for a print), and microfleece is $8/yd, and you could get 4 of the diaper out of a yard, there is over $5 just in fabric, plus around $3 for snaps and elastic, so say around $8 for material cost. Takes about an hour to make, at just $10/hr, that's $18. That leaves NO money to put back into the business. None. It also does not pay for any overhead (machine servicing, scissors or rotary blades, needles, thread, pins or basting glue, shipping materials, electricity, cost and time of prepping fabrics, etc etc etc etc etc).

I can't speak as to any specific WAHM or their pricing or quality of materials, etc, but $18 for a handmade pocket diaper is a steal, and expecting a WAHM to charge the same for a pocket diaper as a diaper made in a factory in China just isn't realistic.
<3 exactly.
RainbowLullaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:08 AM   #33
RainbowLullaby
Registered
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherMoonPads View Post
Really, price gouging? That's insulting. We have high material costs to provide you with a quality product and deserve to make at least minimum wage. We have real businesses with real expenses, and at the end of th day we have rent/mortgages to pay and mouths to feed.
Yes this ^. I completely agree.
RainbowLullaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:24 AM   #34
McMamma38
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn97 View Post
I agree, Mother Moon!! I'm a WAHM but do not make/sell items. I really hope threads like this one make people think about what they support. Sure, you can buy some diapers for $5-7 apiece (I'm talking pockets) but there's a reason many cost $30+ too. If you want quality materials, a living wage, decent labor standards, etc, it costs money. Think about it, folks, can a product really be made for as cheap as some are sold? A corner is being cut somewhere with many products, be it poor quality materials, unfair labor practices, etc. Are you really okay with supporting that?? The fact that someone may be working 80 hours a week and still starving? Or that the person may be a child? I know some people will argue that they are poor too and can't afford any better but I'd encourage them to buy used or go a different route as our nation needs jobs at home. Anyway, I'm hopping off my soapbox now...

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
AMEN!! Thanks for posting this.It really needed discussed.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:29 AM   #35
McMamma38
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely Momma View Post
im finding the same.. for high quality work its worth it in my opinion PLUS they totally hold their resale value

Yes agree!

Now I'm wishing I could hold onto my cloth diaper stash. I've been destashing since I believe we are most likely not going to be having any more babies.(Turned 43 this past Nov.,history of both infertility & also recurrent miscarriages,esp in the last 4.5 yrs since we lost our dd Gracie).

You wanna hold onto the beautiful WAHM stuff forever..for grandbabies one day.LOL
Old 04-03-2012, 07:17 PM   #36
MomdeIsla
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherMoonPads View Post
Really, price gouging? That's insulting. We have high material costs to provide you with a quality product and deserve to make at least minimum wage. We have real businesses with real expenses, and at the end of th day we have rent/mortgages to pay and mouths to feed.

I agree. ITS NOT GOUGING when you think about how much more the little guy pays for materials.

AND remember cotton & bamboo have gone up big time since 2-3 yrs ago.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:23 PM   #37
Junipervt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomdeIsla View Post

I agree. ITS NOT GOUGING when you think about how much more the little guy pays for materials.

AND remember cotton & bamboo have gone up big time since 2-3 yrs ago.
wool has gone way up too. me I prefer paying a bit more to know exactly who is making my LO's diapers & that all of that $$ is going directly to them.

DS has an all WAHM stash (other than 2 night covers/kissaluv) of OS fitteds & wool. And no we're not rich. we just choose how we spend our $$ a bit differently than your average American.

Last edited by Junipervt; 04-03-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Junipervt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:50 PM   #38
momgoddess
Registered Users
seller

The prices make me wonder if they buy their supplies at wholesale, as any cottage industry business should so that they can make an adequate profit while still keeping products affordable. Some of the prices, like $45 for fitted diaper...I wonder if the business is buying supplies at retail cost or what. (I used to work in fabric and notions wholesale distribution directly with fabric stores, quilt shops, manufacturers and cottage industry businesses) and I used to have a WAHM diaper business.

If you have a business license or have your business registered with your state (depending on how your state does it) then you can buy any and all fabrics and notions etc at wholesale cost, which is half the cost of retail. So, if bamboo for instance is about $10/yard retail cost, then a business would get it for about $5/yard. Retailers of fabric make 100% profit. However, then you must account for the time/labor it takes to make the item. However, a WAHM should not be paying retail for anything and expect to turn a profit. It wouldn't work.

Last edited by momgoddess; 04-03-2012 at 10:02 PM.
momgoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:21 PM   #39
zootzmomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am a WAHM that very rarely sells diapers. Until recently I made all of DS's diaper stash. I don't enjoy sewing them as much as baby clothing, so I happily pay other WAHMs to make them now. I think $35 is perfectly reasonable considering cost of materials, the time that goes into it, plus helping another WAHM to stay home with her kiddos is huge to me.

Also, some diapers are in HTF prints which is quite pricey. Bamboo and cotton in general have went way up too. Look at the prices Joanns used to charge for their cotton knits, they are now $3 to $4 higher. And I would think that most WAHMs don't always have the money to purchase wholesale. I know that I don't have that much to put into my business at one time.
zootzmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:01 PM   #40
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by momgoddess View Post
The prices make me wonder if they buy their supplies at wholesale, as any cottage industry business should so that they can make an adequate profit while still keeping products affordable. Some of the prices, like $45 for fitted diaper...I wonder if the business is buying supplies at retail cost or what. (I used to work in fabric and notions wholesale distribution directly with fabric stores, quilt shops, manufacturers and cottage industry businesses) and I used to have a WAHM diaper business.

If you have a business license or have your business registered with your state (depending on how your state does it) then you can buy any and all fabrics and notions etc at wholesale cost, which is half the cost of retail. So, if bamboo for instance is about $10/yard retail cost, then a business would get it for about $5/yard. Retailers of fabric make 100% profit. However, then you must account for the time/labor it takes to make the item. However, a WAHM should not be paying retail for anything and expect to turn a profit. It wouldn't work.
I would love a link for how I could buy something at a wholesale price for 10 yards or fewer Coops are one option, but otherwise you'd have to buy a 25 - 30+ yard roll of fabric to buy at wholesale price (at least from what I can tell) which is not always practical for a smaller WAHM w/lower volume.

ETA --> that want to offer more than 2-3 fabric choices

Last edited by boysniris; 04-03-2012 at 11:05 PM.
boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote