Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-01-2013, 05:42 PM   #1
claires-mommy
Registered Users
seller

Potty Training HELP - 2 y/o

My daughter was showing a ton of interest to be trained around 19 mths (she loves doing what her big sis does!) SO I thought I would give it a shot considering baby 3 is due soon and it would be nice to have just one in diapers.
She took to it VERY well! We did underwear all the time, whenever we went out, and diapers at nap (always wakes dry) and diapers at bedtime. She would have the odd accident here and there but nothing to be concerned about.
She is 2 this month, and lately has been having SO many accidents. It seems to be getting worse! I am nervous to leave the house. At home she will pee right infront of the potty instead of saying she has to go, like she used to do.
I'm 8 mths pregnant and exhausted from cleaning up pee and poo all day.

I really didn't want to revert back to diapers, but I feel like I need to just so I can have a break!
Has anyone done this? Will it be impossible to train her again at a later point? Should I do pull ups instead? (We never did pull ups with my oldest, just straight to underwear all the time)
Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!

(I should add that she is healthy, and nothing has changed in her life to cause these accidents.)

Advertisement

Old 05-01-2013, 10:40 PM   #2
litlckrets
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Potty Training HELP - 2 y/o

I would love to hear any advice on this, too.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:40 PM   #3
jewel23n
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to this, but I started train my dd at 22months (23 months now, hasn't worked yet..). When I started my mom warned me that kids trained early often revert around the age of 2. If it's any encouragement- at least it sounds like it's normal. At 8 months pregnant I'd say do what you have to do to keep your sanity. As everyone at church keeps reassuring me, she won't go to grade school peeing in her pants- she will get it eventually! Hopefully someone else out there has a story from the other side of this problem.
jewel23n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:02 PM   #4
claires-mommy
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the replies.
I have posted in another group I am on as well and it seems I am definitely not the only one going through this. Kids of all ages are having crazy accidents all the time, so it made me think her age shouldn't be a factor.
That being said...I think she had 1 succesful potty trip today, the rest were in her underwear She doesn't even tell me now that shes gone, and she used to!
I'm hoping this is just the "2 year old regression" which I also heard about.
Going to start collecting some cloth trainers and go that route!
Old 05-10-2013, 04:56 PM   #5
lisa0842
Registered Users
seller

My daughter did the exact same thing. She started training around 19 months and right about the time she turned 2 she started having more and more accidents. It only lasted a week or 2. I did go back to the trainers during this time.
lisa0842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:19 PM   #6
HappiMom
Registered Users
seller

My daughter was peeing so much when she was right around 24 months and I've read/been told that they go through a growth spurt at that age and it's hard for them to control. I'm not sure what to advise you to do. Wait it out? Maybe a cloth trainer?

My daughter is having huge problems with BM reversion right now. She's 2.5+ years old and has been out of diapers for 8+ months. The problem I'm having is that she's doing it on purpose. It's really hard to figure out what to do. I'm pregnant right now, too, and it's exhausting. Mentally and physically. Sorry mama.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:31 PM   #7
JoyfulMama87
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We're having similar problems around here, too. We began potty-training DD2 a month after her second birthday. Now, four months later, there's no doubt in my mind that she KNOWS what's expected of her and is very capable of going potty. I've tried rewards (candy), making a big deal out of it, not making a big deal out of it, just about everything I can think of, and she still has accidents. She almost never tells me she needs to go so if I don't take her about every hour she will have an accident. I am NOT putting her back in diapers, though. I've decided we're just going to stick this out and hope for the best!
JoyfulMama87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:40 AM   #8
beet1e
Registered Users

When my second son was PT, he did the same thing. I sat down and said I was going to put his diapers back on. I told him it was no big deal, I just didn't think he was ready to be without them. He didn't mind a bit and I was so relieved.

2-3 weeks later, he woke me up to take him potty and he wanted to be back in his big boy pants. We never looked back. For me, I just didn't want the whole potty thing to be a bad experience for him. I didn't want to be stressing about whether or not I was going to have a mess to clean up and I didn't want him to think I was disappointed if he had a mistake.
beet1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:49 AM   #9
Katie Mae
Registered Users
seller

If we were having poop issues, it'd be more of an issue to me. I've not heard of the 2 year old regression so that's comforting, because DS was doing great and even waking in the night and coming saying "toilet! toilet!" to me. Lately he'll tell me toilet only after he's started to pee, or start to pee and then just stop and keep playing and I almost have to wrestle him to the bathroom. Where he goes immediately. (He will be 2 in one month). I've just been dealing with it and doing lots of laundry, but we aren't having poop accidents so I don't know what I'd do if that was the case. I'm pregnant too and already it's exhausting doing so many outfit changes. I'm just grateful DD can finally take herself to the toilet, including hand washing, so that's a little bit of a break for me.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:53 PM   #10
beet1e
Registered Users

I was thinking about this the other day. You know when your LO are learning a new skill and they are so focused on it? I think that is what it is like when they go through something like this. They start out so excited and so motivated and then, "Squirrel!!!", KWIM? Then they drift back to it and since they already had part of the drill, it's easier. I think it most cases it has less to do with stubborness and more to do with over focusing on whatever they are doing at the moment.
beet1e is offline   Reply With Quote