Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-11-2014, 03:44 PM   #1
Stasia
Registered Users
seller

Registry Friends and Foes

With Baby #1, I'm researching and researching and researching for our registry.

My main questions- CD mamas- what did you need in particular? cuz most youtube videos don't apply to that

2) Bumbo- friend or foe?
3) Boppy- friend or foe?

the more I read about Aden and Anais swaddling blankets the more I want to buy them myself and forget waiting for a shower!

Help me out experienced mamas! What else do I need? (Pregnancy needs are also encouraged)

Advertisement

Stasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:48 PM   #2
kelpie169
Registered Users
seller

Definitely either a body pillow or a pregnancy pillow for when you get big...I could not have LIVED without my body pillow. Bumbo...eh. It was okay. Had one with our first, got rid of it before our second and then got a mamas and papas seat for our third. I personally liked the mamas and papas one better, but they weren't necessary at all. Boppy...I never liked it but my babies were wiggles. They never stayed on it...tended to roll off. But I liked it just for me...made a great neck pillow. I never liked our actual diaper pail...I like our trash can with pail liner much better. So much easier. The only real luxury necessity we had was a swing/exersaucer/jumperoo...different for each kid. It occupied them while I got a little bit done.
kelpie169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:48 PM   #3
kelpie169
Registered Users
seller

Oh also for pregnancy...a really great lotion. Doesn't have to be something for stretch marks although it could be, but just a lotion that you love. Pampering yourself is always a must.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:01 PM   #4
Sarahknavy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Registry Friends and Foes

My kids did not sit well in a Bumbo with their big cloth booties. I have heard people in the past say that the bumbo sits baby in a bad position.

I liked my boppy pillow for my first. My second I never really used it. Maybe cause i was more used to the position and nursing.

I love A&A blankets. They are fantastic
Old 01-11-2014, 04:31 PM   #5
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

I used regular pillows for support during pregnancy & prefer a regular pillow to Boppy for bfing as well.we had & used a Bumbo w/ DD1 & will do the same w/ the babies, but they're not necessary & I understand the case against them.

Musts for me:
Swaddling blankets (we had winter babies in NY, so prefer flannel)
Bouncy seat w/ vibration...this is what all of our kids preferred, even though we have a swing
A decent baby carrier...DP had a Beco; I prefered a sling & am currently loving a K'tan
Car seat--it's a very personal decision
Shirts...I like the Gerber crossover shirts; onesies never fit well for us
Sleep sacks...I have some nice Halo sacks, but I like the cheap ones from Target or WM just as well.
Gowns...make for easy diaper changes

For pregnancy, I had a support belt that was invaluable & I used some CJ's Spritz 'o BUTTer on my belly. I liked maternity tops & a size up on regular yoga pants. I would have liked some stretchy soft-cup bras--my regular bras didn't fit anymore & I didn't want to spend a bundle on bras for a few months.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:26 PM   #6
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
All of the suggestions so far are great!!

I agree Bumbo was only used for a short time at my house. My DS liked it more than DD. My baby's chubby thighs always got stuck too. I assume it wasn't very comfortable. And if they reach or lean or arch their back it's not as stable. Definitely only use on the floor!

A swing was my best friend for both kids until maybe 3-4 months when they outgrew the weight restrictions. I cried when they couldn't use the swing anymore. Lol! Used or borrowed swings are great because they stay like new! My son loved a jumperoo type seat too.

I agree w/ Carrie about the crossover shirts that button down the side and infant gowns. I liked those!!! The gowns are so cute and snuggly (and convenient)! Sleepers have so many buttons! Haha!

For a carrier I liked a stretchy wrap (Moby) for around the house especially during the witching hour when my daughter wouldn't settle each afternoon... As she got older I used an Ergo because it was quicker/easier to put on.

Boppy pillow is great for some moms and babies. I used it only a short while for nursing because honestly my babies were huge and so were my boobs. the baby didn't need much support to reach after the first little while. But I liked the boppy pillow to prop my baby up to hang out with me on the bed while I folded laundry or something.

You don't need everything but I don't know if I'd realize that if I hadn't tried everything... My first baby had tons of stuff my second baby didn't. I'm sure the list will get smaller again this time too. Hope this helps. congrats!!

Last edited by justineybean; 01-11-2014 at 06:30 PM.
justineybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:38 PM   #7
twood80
Registered Users
seller
seller

Daycare has a Bumbo, and by the time we thought to follow up on getting one at home, LO had used the Boppy enough the Bumbo was already not worth purchasing, it was that small a window of use.

That said, I preferred the MyBreastFriend for the early months, and then the Boppy for nursing in the later months. There are many women here who say they did fine without a nursing pillow, or just used the Boppy from day one, but for us we did best with tight to the abdomen firm support at first, and our bed pillows weren't a nursing option (down, and babies leak from both ends).
twood80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:25 PM   #8
Stasia
Registered Users
seller

I was also looking into the MyBreastFriend. I keep trying to keep myself in check for not registering for frivolous things- and I keep going back and forth on the breastfeeding pillow versus anything. I think I will probably need it- I have a long torso and not-so-robust chest. Even though they'll enlarge, I think I might wind up curling over if I don't invest in one. I do have a hard time buying a $40 U-shaped pillow though when I could sew one myself- probably why I'm drawn to the mybreastfriend more.

what about cloth diaper creams? I'm read Grandma El's is awesome and CJ's butter. I don't know how to tell if they're going to ruin my CD though! And I'm sewing mine!

Last thing I want to do is sew all these diapers and have a stupid cream ruin them all!

thanks ladies! You guys are awesome!

OH! And how essential is a glider?

Last edited by Stasia; 01-11-2014 at 07:27 PM.
Stasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:13 PM   #9
kelpie169
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stasia
I was also looking into the MyBreastFriend. I keep trying to keep myself in check for not registering for frivolous things- and I keep going back and forth on the breastfeeding pillow versus anything. I think I will probably need it- I have a long torso and not-so-robust chest. Even though they'll enlarge, I think I might wind up curling over if I don't invest in one. I do have a hard time buying a $40 U-shaped pillow though when I could sew one myself- probably why I'm drawn to the mybreastfriend more. what about cloth diaper creams? I'm read Grandma El's is awesome and CJ's butter. I don't know how to tell if they're going to ruin my CD though! And I'm sewing mine! Last thing I want to do is sew all these diapers and have a stupid cream ruin them all! thanks ladies! You guys are awesome! OH! And how essential is a glider?
Glider was totally non essential for us. But as for cd safe cream...coconut oil. Seriously it fixes rashes (the rare times they get one) and I've never had a. Problem with it. And it's available cheaply everywhere!
Old 01-11-2014, 10:57 PM   #10
thisminnesotan
Registered Users

I second the coconut oil - works wonders and the smell is nice added plus IMO.
thisminnesotan is offline   Reply With Quote