Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-30-2013, 10:38 AM   #1
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
ASD kid and big changes

My 6 yo has Asperger's Syndrome and he can have a lot of anxiety about things. We're moving 800 miles away next month. What would you do to prepare your ASD child for such a thing? He can be very fickle. Sometimes he gets very excited about and interested in things and then it's like he walks into a brick wall and all of the difficulties and problems and anxieties start. So while he is always excited to see Grandpa, my dad whom we will live with, and he likes Florida weather because he cannot handle long sleeves (sensory issues), I am still afraid of big meltdowns along the way or him having a lot of issues adjusting.

Advertisement

Old 04-30-2013, 10:58 AM   #2
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
We moved cross country with our kiddos, and my 7yo (who was then 5) is asd. We just brought things along for the car that he enjoyed and he was fine. We didn't talk about it too much as then it became overwhelming. We told them and they asked questions from time to time which we answered. We treated it the same as a move down the street though.

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:35 AM   #3
Mrs.Os
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: ASD kid and big changes

I would talk to him a lot so he seems everyone is going to enjoy it. I'd pack the actual moving vehicle with things that comfort him. If he likes pillows, books, videos, games, certain toys ... I had some issues as a kid with certain things, even vacations could cause me to just feel overwhelmed. I didn't want to travel or be away from where I was comfortable. I figured out ways to handle it as I grew up but even still days before a trip I start getting nervous for no reason. And I don't enjoy things like other people when it comes to some things. But be sure he feels like its not happening to him that you're doing to together, talk about places along the way and ask him what he wants to do what stops and what not that he can choose from and while you travel keep him busy and discuss each stop as its its own thing so the trip breaks up if you're driving. Then it's not one long trek with short stops that he might not like. Like if he likes say French fries find places that have them and talk about it. And prepare him for a new room and new things near your new home. When we moved when I was a teenager my parents showed me the house and before we moved stuff in we painted my room and cleaned it well and got curtains up and then moved in my things so I could unpack in there while everything else happened so I wouldn't feel like I couldn't control what was happening. I just get stressed out when things change or are out of place so a move to me was like kicking all the stuff out of the cabinets and leaving it all over the floor lol. Good luck he will be ok I'm sure.
Mrs.Os is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:23 AM   #4
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: ASD kid and big changes

Thanks, both of you.