Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-28-2011, 07:32 PM   #11
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you censor your kids' books?

No. We have a bunch of Beatrix Potter books and we read them ats written. My daughter doesn't get hit so if I have to explain how sad it is that some do then I will.

Advertisement

Old 06-29-2011, 08:16 AM   #12
Sha-nanagins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

To me, several of these things fall into the "age appropriate" category. When the kids are old enough to understand the concept of, "At that time, people didn't understand that ________ was not a nice thing to say/do, but we know better." I might reconsider.

On the other hand, I vividly remember how the librarian at the conservative private school where I used to work made us kind of shake our heads sometimes. We got a beautiful series of books about different countries. I kind of smiled when she got the one about Brazil and glued together the 2-page spread of the beaches of Rio, since, if you looked hard enough, you could figure out that a couple of the ladies were topless. It was amusing when she pulled out her collection of Sharpies and "enlarged" some of the swimsuits on the more close-up pictures. But we all did a double-take when we paged through the Italy book and found a black g-string on Michealangelo's David sculpture.
Sha-nanagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:18 AM   #13
percussionsmith
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think thats the beauty of books. You don't just read line for line and then be done. You take time to use them to teach your values and explain things you do or don't agree with. Books expose kids and are ready made teachable moments.
percussionsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:17 AM   #14
Qbit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha-nanagins View Post
To me, several of these things fall into the "age appropriate" category. When the kids are old enough to understand the concept of, "At that time, people didn't understand that ________ was not a nice thing to say/do, but we know better." I might reconsider.

On the other hand, I vividly remember how the librarian at the conservative private school where I used to work made us kind of shake our heads sometimes. We got a beautiful series of books about different countries. I kind of smiled when she got the one about Brazil and glued together the 2-page spread of the beaches of Rio, since, if you looked hard enough, you could figure out that a couple of the ladies were topless. It was amusing when she pulled out her collection of Sharpies and "enlarged" some of the swimsuits on the more close-up pictures. But we all did a double-take when we paged through the Italy book and found a black g-string on Michealangelo's David sculpture.
This. I'm not going to sensor forever. I'll just be skipping it until DS is old enough that we can have a conversation about the happenings in the book that I currently skip over. And as for the poem that mentions God that I skip, I skip it more for me than DS. I just don't like that particular poem.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:44 AM   #15
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleleaf View Post
Another one is Dr. Seuss's "And to think that I saw it on Mulberry Street" -- there's a part where it mentions a "Chinese boy who eats with sticks"... somehow, that's just racially insensitive, and I read it as a "man" rather than a "boy", and just say "chopsticks". The drawing is clearly of a grown man, rather than a little boy. There's another part that reads "even Jane could think of that".... somehow the way it reads smacks of "even a GIRL with no intelligence could think of that".
Yes I specifically don't read these two lines. sometimes I read the Chinese boy part, because maybe I can have dialogue with my son eventually about diversity. But he's 2, and right now, he's just hearing these things and they are becoming normal, and part of his inner workings KWIM? I don't want him hearing things like "Even Jane could think of that" after all the others were boys. It doesn't sit well with is raging feminist of a mother.

I also sensor Jesus talk. We just don't want it in our house. I don't feel religion is age appropriate. I feel it's something you need to be an adult to understand and study and make decisions on.

I won't put a g-string on "David" IMO that is normal. (Penises that is) You are born with those, they are always age appropriate. Religion, "adult relations" those are age specific, and we're 2 here.

There was actually another thread about this a while ago. I wonder where it went.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:54 PM   #16
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Generally, no. Sometimes I get surprised by a scary book in the middle because I don't pre-read at the library. So I muddle through and move on to the next book.

However, there's a line in our Rescuer's Down Under book where Medusa says, "Get out of my way, Fatso," and I leave Fatso off. I think she's old enough to understand how words can hurt, but I'm not going to feed the fire. KWIM?
Old 06-29-2011, 02:15 PM   #17
minneapolisite
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What a coincidence--after reading this thread, I arrived at the "Why White Parents Don't Talk About Race" chapter of NurtureShock. I HIGHLY recommend this book (it's not a parenting "how to," just a very readable collection of statistical information of child psychology studies). The race section talks about how children naturally see differences in race (despite our best efforts to make them colorblind) and how avoiding discussing it at an early age (like before age 3) can result in a more pronounced "us vs. them" mentality than encouraging racial understanding at earlier ages.

Obviously, the book explains this WAY better than I can (and has studies/statistics to back up their findings). If you are at all interested in helping your children understand racial equality, I strongly recommend you go find this book at your local library and read the 26-page chapter on race.
At-home mom of DAK (Oct 2011) and #2 (Oct 2014)
minneapolisite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:51 PM   #18
littleleaf
Registered Users
Formerly: jcha***h
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, I definitely try to skip/censor the scary parts - my DS is prone to nightmares, so the fewer scary things right before bedtime, the better!

While I agree that children do have lots of other influences, one of the reasons this topic is so important to me is because my DS really seems to relate very strongly to things he sees in books. He definitely repeats a lot of the things that he sees in the books, both in terms of what he says on a daily basis, and his behaviors as well. And while I agree that we as parents should add to the conversation of books when we see something that doesn't jive with our beliefs, I don't think it is necessary to introduce bad words or slurs. I think it is one thing to have a discussion about race and how there are different people in this world, and another to use racial slurs and then have to explain to a 2 year old why we don't say those words (even if they appear in the book we just enjoyed together).

I'm sure the race conversation will come, as we are an interracial family, and neither me nor DH is white. Thanks for the recommendation on that book... I'd love to see some of the language and conversation suggestions!
SPOTS - new Thirsties and more ISO Jujube, Carters, Gymboree, Zutano girl clothes 18 months
littleleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:52 PM   #19
hilaryisinked
Spring Into a New Avi 2015 Winner
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by minneapolisite
What a coincidence--after reading this thread, I arrived at the "Why White Parents Don't Talk About Race" chapter of NurtureShock. I HIGHLY recommend this book (it's not a parenting "how to," just a very readable collection of statistical information of child psychology studies). The race section talks about how children naturally see differences in race (despite our best efforts to make them colorblind) and how avoiding discussing it at an early age (like before age 3) can result in a more pronounced "us vs. them" mentality than encouraging racial understanding at earlier ages.

Obviously, the book explains this WAY better than I can (and has studies/statistics to back up their findings). If you are at all interested in helping your children understand racial equality, I strongly recommend you go find this book at your local library and read the 26-page chapter on race.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:04 PM   #20
moms5angels
Registered Users
Formerly: moms4angels

what ever book were thinking of getting r kids we read it thoroughly b4 we decided to buy it. if we dont like aneything about the book we dont get it. if their given to us we read through all of them & whatever we dont want we donate. @ the libary we only go to the sections the r appropiate for their age but we read it 1st b4 we let them check it out. if we dont like it dont go home. when r kids r older we will let them have more of a choice when they have a better understanding. but since their so young we fell that this is best for now. pluse w/ my oldest son having autism he has a hard time telling between what is real & fake. like he thinks transformers r real. (we tell them their not) we took him to see a car that looked like bumblebee & he was telling it to transform. lol when we told him that its a car & it wont transform he says "yes he dose. he's just hiding" lol (were trying to teach him the diff between real & fake & he know about transformers cuz it helps w/ his fine moter/problem solving/patience skills w/ the trans forming toys)