View Poll Results: how old will you let your teen date without supervision?
13 5 3.05%
14 2 1.22%
15 20 12.20%
16 102 62.20%
17 11 6.71%
18 24 14.63%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-01-2011, 01:31 PM   #21
Incubus527
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: offically dating/courting

16 seems like a nice round number. We'll see. She's not even here yet and I'm already thinking about this. lol

Advertisement

Incubus527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:33 PM   #22
Angel89411
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by m&m&m
Well, for me dating/courting would only be allowed if they were looking to marry. So unless they were a very mature 18 year old, I would say that still isn't old enough. Dating to me is to find a potential mate so it wouldn't make sense to date until you were ready to progress towards marriage.
I agree with this. I see dating as looking for your life partner. What other purpose would there be? I don't think intimacy is appropriate before a marriage. Sex def not and teenagers have no business kissing. That is an intimate action between two committed people who are looking for a partner in each other. So why bother being more than friends?

Please excuse my typos. My phone thinks it knows what I am trying to say better than I do.
Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:42 PM   #23
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by m&m&m View Post
Well, for me dating/courting would only be allowed if they were looking to marry. So unless they were a very mature 18 year old, I would say that still isn't old enough. Dating to me is to find a potential mate so it wouldn't make sense to date until you were ready to progress towards marriage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel894 View Post
I agree with this. I see dating as looking for your life partner. What other purpose would there be? I don't think intimacy is appropriate before a marriage. Sex def not and teenagers have no business kissing. That is an intimate action between two committed people who are looking for a partner in each other. So why bother being more than friends?

Please excuse my typos. My phone thinks it knows what I am trying to say better than I do.
Amen! And for the record this is what my DH did... I not so much but at least one parent can say that they practice what they preach.

For my son, I honestly think he is going into a science track. He thinks very analytically at his young age (2 years 9 month) so I can't seem him not following in his father and grandfather's footsteps. Because of this I would have say that he will be at least 24 before he really starts dating and hopefully not courting till a few years after that. Will he go out with friends when he is a teenager? Yes but I hope to know the parents well enough to know that their children were taught in a similar way or at least respectful of our belief.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:01 PM   #24
kameroosky
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My parents really didn't care. I never went on an "official" date as a teen but my first real boyfriend was when I was 13.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:08 PM   #25
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by m&m&m View Post

tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:50 PM   #26
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

Personally, I hope my children will be closer to 30 before they marry, so I fully expect them to date around prior to finding a lifelong mate, if they choose to do so.

But I'm not sure at what age I will let my teenager do so. My oldest is almost 14 and I am 99% sure her father and I will NOT allow her to date without supervision anytime soon. Definitely not this year, probably not next year...maybe when she's 16.

ETA: My parents let me go on "dates" with boys in 6th grade, so 12 years old. Dates consisted of school dances or movies. The boy's parents always drove us, and unless we were dropped off at a school dance where there were a lot of adult chaperones, his parents also accompanied us. I did "group dating" in 7th and 8th grades and then one-on-one dates in 9th grade. WTF were my parents thinking???!!! It's funny because even looking back now, I consider my parents to be semi-strict except for in this area. Weird. Anyway, my daughter will be 14 next month and she's never had a boyfriend--she's been in competitive gymnastics and all her free time was spent at practice...she's literally had zero time for boys. She just "retired" this week, though...and I'm looking for something else to keep her busy!

Last edited by Psychomom; 07-01-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Psychomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:53 PM   #27
AcrossTheUniverse
Registered Users
Formerly: ReiSapphireJade
seller

My Mood:

I put 16, but I would consider 15 if both parties were mature and trustworthy.

I started dating my ex-h at 15 and we were married at 18.
*i* Loved and Lost (6/12), (9/12), & (2/13) *i*
AcrossTheUniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:09 PM   #28
Celeste
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh man...I really don't even want to think about this yet!

I also agree with the idea of the purpose of dating being to find a potential husband/wife, and I don't like the casual dating/dumping pattern of a lot of younger teens. IMO, it sets kids up for a temporary relationship mindset that can make divorce not seem like such a big deal.

Can I just arrange marriages for my kids?! (Kidding...kind of...)
Old 07-01-2011, 03:13 PM   #29
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

I hope that my children will wait to get married until after graduate school. I will not allow them to date until they are in their later teens. There is plenty of time for that as they get older.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:16 PM   #30
MyLovely
Registered Users

I do not believe in "courting", so keep that in mind...

I voted 15, but it would be either 15 or 16 depending on the kid. For instance, my parents always said I had to be 16, but I was a late August baby so I was almost a year younger than most of my classmates. If one of my kids were in the same situation, I'd do the same. For me I guess, it's not so much "age" as "stage." I think by the time a teen is in 10th grade, it's appropriate to let them go on dates, to movies, to dances, etc. since most of them are 16 and can drive.

I'm not really a fan of younger marriage...I've seen it done successfully by others, and that's perfectly fine for them, but I'd prefer my kids live a more traditional young adult life, and that includes dating.