Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-02-2011, 10:31 AM   #11
KumfyKozies
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Somewhere underneath my yarn and fabric hoard in the US of A
My Mood:
Re: Anyone have a "Yes" room in their house?

90% of our home is "yes." I couldn't have functioned with 3 under 4 otherwise.

Advertisement

KumfyKozies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:34 AM   #12
julcharndawson
Registered Users
seller

most of our house is a yes room too. LOL. thats just how i prefer to parent. I get tired of saying no all the time. Their rooms are the most childproof and they can play in there by themselves but the rest of the house is very kid friendly.
julcharndawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:39 AM   #13
Marbie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
DS's bedroom is a great place for him to play. The only problem is that it's upstairs. Now that he's older, I feel OK about him playing up there by himself and just checking on him every so often. I leave the door open.

Last edited by Marbie; 07-02-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Marbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:24 AM   #14
pcjs
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by minneapolisite View Post
You mean something like this?

Sorry I couldn't resist!
Oh, that is so what we need in our basement, with a huge trampoline down there and gymnastics gear. :gigg le2:

That is the best. Thanks for doing that.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:10 PM   #15
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyshanti View Post
lol to the padded room
34 months so almost 3 years does he have a room?
i dont have many breakables so every room is pretty much ok here but the boys room is their stuff so that's def a "yes" room
He has the largest bedroom in the house (master for everyone else). We moved him in there 2 years ago thinking that we were going to have a 9 month old by now and he would have to share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylife View Post
What kind of stuff is he getting into? Can it be put up or locked with a child proof latch or something? We moved all the DVD's and music cd's to our bedroom. All that's really left in the living room is furniture. Maybe try a toybox left in the living room or kitchen and at night/morning change the toys. All kitchen appliances, food, etc., that we don't want touched were locked in their cupboard otherwise DD can play with pretty much anything in there.

Also, I know it doesn't sound like much but changing up 'no' to different variations like: ta-ta, danger danger, hot, owie, uh-oh, etc. can be just as effective (sometimes more because kids can tune out 'no' pretty fast, as I'm sure you probably have found out) HTH a little!
The biggest things we say no on are the dog (though some of this is the dog's fault as we have an area for him to escape and he doesn't always go there), and just general destruction. He likes to bang trucks into walls and take apart things. I know that this is boy's being boy's type of thing but I haven't found any toys that would be good for him to take apart and easy for me to put back together. Also I don't want to have to live in a house that looks like a war zone.

His room is upstairs. I would love to send him there to play (as this is where most of his toys are) but he doesn't like to be up there when we are not there. That room is a yes room with very few things being no. Is there a way I can make it so he would like to be there more? The dog isn't allowed upstairs (on the stairs but not on that floor). So that worry would also go away.

I do sometimes let him go outside as our backyard is a yes yard for the most part (few exceptions but I can see him everywhere he can go back there), however when it is really hot or cold I don't like to let him go outside for very long.

Ugg! Maybe we need to figure out a way to make a spot in the basement a yes space so he can be more destructive without ruining the house (cinder block unfinished basement)?

I think the padded room idea is the best bet.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:52 PM   #16
Swimmingly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You said he wants to take things apart... have you seen these:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re.../dp/B000N5RT2O
My nephew has one and LOVES it.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:24 PM   #17
Whits01
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedbabytoes View Post
My daycare room:

Or his bedroom:

He doesn't really mess with things he shouldn't though. Never has. I do have a few daycare kids that are trouble finders. Fortunately, my daycare room is pretty much yes stuff. But they could still get into trouble there too(climbing the outside of the climber, throwing toys, jumping off the table, etc). All rooms require supervision(not that that's what you were asking), just various degrees of careful & restrictiveness, depending on contents.
Maybe you could just put the problem items(like prettys, etc) away for a while? Kids should learn limits, but I also believe in not beating a dead horse either. Sometimes it's just better out of sight.
Can I be your kid?
Whits01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:52 AM   #18
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmingly View Post
You said he wants to take things apart... have you seen these:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re.../dp/B000N5RT2O
My nephew has one and LOVES it.
Thanks I have never seen something like that before.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:11 AM   #19
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by croark View Post
I need one of those for me sometimes! I bet it's nice and quiet in there....
Quiet and solitary where do we sign up?

We do like other PPs said. Our whole house is "child proof" DS doesn't get into much, he doesn't scale things or such. But we have locks on the bathroom, and the linen closet (cleaners, he thinks all spray bottles are filled with water to scare the cat and sprays them in his mouth)
Old 07-03-2011, 10:00 AM   #20
KaylaJayne
Registered Users
seller

Yep my 3.5 year old has a "toy room" like room which is the extension of our living room. All his toys are in there and other than my mom's computer/desk which he KNOWS is off limits, it's all his!

He has his own room but we have a strict NO TOYS in the room policy because otherwise bedtime would be horrible - he's far too easily distracted!