Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-02-2011, 09:01 PM   #11
kcase6
Registered Users
seller

You do have to apply quite a bit of pressure to the inner aspect of the eye/bridge of the nose. You are trying to break up mucus plugs so constant pressure is best. Then use a warm compress to the eye, hold for a min then lightly wipe to the outer corner of the eye. Repeat the warm compress again a few times, making sure you use a clean corner of the cloth every time. As others suggested, do the whole treatment a few times a day. Hope your LO gets some relief soon.

:-) Kerry

Advertisement

My Blog: FreckledBeauties
kcase6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:16 PM   #12
smilewithme
Registered
seller
seller

Re: clogged tear duct?

It'll massage out just fine! Poor girl...
smilewithme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 06:18 AM   #13
OneFishTwoFish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hey Amanda!

One of Ben's eyes was clogged too. It is VERY common and for him, it didn't clear up for a while...over 6 months maybe? It went through phases where it was really crusty and other times just kind of drippy. The docs typically say not to worry and they will generally clear up within the first year. If not, there are procedures that can be done, but usually nature does it's thing.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:58 AM   #14
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Well today she looks much better. Poor girl, yesterday she was so crusty she couldn't even open her eye. I was massaging with warm compresses and applying lots and lots of breastmilk. Her eye is a little puffy today but hasn't been crusted shut yet. I'm just gonna keep doing that and hope for the best! Thanks everyone!!!
Old 07-03-2011, 10:36 AM   #15
wonton
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

One of my daughters eye's was crusted a lot and I tried the pressure and keeping it clean for awhile, but I was worried it might be infected. She was also slightly swollen in that eye area compared to the other.
So we took her in and sure enough the doctor thought it was most likely infected.
We got the ebil eye drops and w/in the first day her eye got better! After the full treatment no more eye gunk and havent had any issues since!
I didnt even think about using breastmilk for the infection at the time, but if I had I wouldve tried that first.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:56 AM   #16
amegrl520
Registered Users
seller

Breastmilk definitely works wonders for that. Keep applying a day or so after it seems better.

amegrl520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 02:40 PM   #17
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by amegrl520
Breastmilk definitely works wonders for that. Keep applying a day or so after it seems better.
I was thinking this would be a good idea. So glad you posted this. It def looks better today then yesterday but not 100%. I'm still applying lots of milk. I'll keep applying for awhile to make sure it clears all up.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:23 PM   #18
aldermother
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I know people swear by breastmilk in the eye, but be careful. Remember it's a food source. If your LO is like my son, his clogged duct made for a bacterial infection, and the breastmilk made it worse, apparently bacteria like eating it too, then breeding! (So he ended up on antibiotic eyedrops.) The best remedy for us was lots of massage..and then one day the duct miraculously opened! It was at 5 months.
We're a CDing (potty-learned), co-sleeping (bunk beds), extended BFing (weaned), baby-wearing (big boy-wearing), non-circing, Waldorf loving, tree-hugging, hand-me-downs-welcome Earth friendly family!
PT preschool teacher& FT Mama to my beautiful tree & our little growing sapling
aldermother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:29 PM   #19
Aleesh_Mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I did massage, warm wipes, and breast milk for 6 weeks after my LO was born. We had the same exact problem. At her 6 week check up our doctor prescribed Erithromycin gel, and her eye cleared up within a few days. It wasn't at the top of my list to try, but it worked quickly and we haven't had any issues since.
Aleesh_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:50 PM   #20
LittleABC
Registered Users
Formerly: greenfamily9200
seller
seller

My Mood:

I wish I would have know about the breastmilk thing.