Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-02-2011, 05:15 PM   #1
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
how long to wait on a fever?

My 17- month- old daughter has been cranky for 2 days with a low-grade fever. She just started eating a little bit; she has slept half of the day. She hasn't let me put her down in 2 days. Her temperature was around 101 tonight. She has no other symptoms that I can see, so if she has an infection, I don't know where it is coming from. How long should I wait before I take her for professional help?

Advertisement

Old 07-02-2011, 06:00 PM   #2
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Non of that sounds worrying to me. It's probably a virus that will pass on it's own. If she's still feeling bad in the next day or 2, or new symptoms develop, a call or appt might be warranted.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:49 PM   #3
Stefibeth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: how long to wait on a fever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by titania View Post
Non of that sounds worrying to me. It's probably a virus that will pass on it's own. If she's still feeling bad in the next day or 2, or new symptoms develop, a call or appt might be warranted.

ITA. Especially since it's the holiday weekend, if I were you I'd try to wait it out til Tuesday. If she's still feeling badly by then without getting any better I'd make an appointment for that day. Otherwise, I'd just try to ride it out unless things get worse. I'd also hold off on treating her with any sort of fever reducer unless she seems to really need it. I hope she's feeling better soon!

Last edited by Stefibeth; 07-02-2011 at 06:51 PM.
Stefibeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:51 PM   #4
AcrossTheUniverse
Registered Users
Formerly: ReiSapphireJade
seller

My Mood:

Fevers generally break anywhere from 3-5 days (depending on the virus). I'd just make sure she is getting plenty of fluids and rest and take her in if the fever spikes, she develops other symptoms, or the fever doesn't resolve itself within 5 days or so.
*i* Loved and Lost (6/12), (9/12), & (2/13) *i*
AcrossTheUniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:52 PM   #5
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Cool, thanks! That is pretty much what I thought. I think she is actually getting better tonight. She is still sleeping a lot but she did play some tonight and ate a little bit. I just lost my job and insurance so I hope she continues to improve
Old 07-04-2011, 08:12 AM   #6
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am starting to get worried now. Claire still is refusing to be put down. She will eat a bite sometimes, but mostly she just nurses and sleeps. She has been like this for 5 days after today. Her fever comes and goes but doesn't get super high. Of course the doctor's office and the natural food store are closed today. What on earth could be wrong with her?
Old 07-04-2011, 08:26 AM   #7
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Mama, the "golden rule" is act on how a child is behaving, not how high the fever is. A child with a very high fever can be less ill than a child whose fever is low. If she's behaving strangely, is lethargic, weak and non communicative (which it sounds like she is) something isn't right. She could have a infection you can't see signs of like a kidney infection, ear, sinus etc. I would take her to an urgent care or the emergency room and request that your pediatrician be called in. Good luck
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:50 AM   #8
firstimemommy44
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Honestly IMHO I wouldn't be worried. If she's nursing and sleeping that's What She needs. Just keep an eye on her and make sure she is nursing and not getting dehydrated

My swagbucks http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/ellen44
firstimemommy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:04 AM   #9
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:

i wouldn't be worried either. Earlier this year there was a virus going around. the kids who got it slept for 7-10 days before it finally went away. I don't own thermometer so I don't know how high my dd's fever actually went. She was hot enough you could feel the heat coming off of her, though it was mostly just her head that was hot. I gave her wet cloths to put on her face. My dd slept for a good 7 days. One of my other dd's got it too, but was nowhere near as hot & only slept for a day or 2, but would easily get tired for over a week & hers came back a week after it left. A friend's dd had it for 10 days
Old 07-04-2011, 01:27 PM   #10
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

THanks for the opinions. I am conflicted because I feel like she is probably okay because she is eliminating fine and doesn't seem to be in pain, but of course it is so strange to see a normally active, social little girl just nurse and nurse and sleep and sleep.

We went out to the store and she seemed okay- she rode in the cart and was pretty happy, and she has had times where she laughed or smiled the whole weekend, but it has been the exception. Mostly she has been sleeping or putting her head on me.

I guess I am wondering what they would do if I did take her to the doctor- her symptoms are pretty mild, really, so they would probably tell me to observe her closely anyway, right? I am going to try to get her insurance through the state; of course I can't do ANYTHING today, since it's a holiday. Perfect. Of course I would take her even if I didn't have insurance, but I don't know if it's worth it for the symptoms that she's having right now. I guess they could do a urine test to rule out an infection?