Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-03-2011, 09:49 PM   #1
jordanalisa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy Advice Please - Constantly Constipated Baby :(

I'm not really sure where to post, so hope that this place is appropriate. I'm sorry if it's long... I really could use some advice.
So my DS turned 9 months today. I'm not super granola/fabulous mama. I do what I can. At a little over 4 months, DS had much more than doubled his birth weight, was doing awesome with BF and I decided to start solids to keep up with his demands - which were high. I did the standard breastmilk/cereal thing, and he went from having a BM 2-3 times a day to going several days in between and straining to pass the thicker consistency poo. I switched to oatmeal and barley, and it was going ok... when we started adding any purees, it started backing up more severely.

He was going a week or so in between BMs, and I would have to give him a suppository and then he would go a LOT. So I took him in to the pediatrician, and she suggested a bit of prune or pear juice, prune or pear puree, and possibly some benefiber to soften it up. We struggled along, trying to add or remove foods, or stopping them altogether to see if there was improvement - there really just wasn't.
So I go to his 6 month check and she prescribes Miralax for him. Doesn't really give me an amount of time to use it, just gives me a dose and sends me on my way. So I use it for a week or two and it works, gradually decreasing the dose. He's good for a week, then he just tapers off again, and when I started him back on it, it seemed less effective. I'm at my wits end and obviously don't want him on this stuff all the time, and take him to a pediatric homeopathic chiro. Get a few adjustments, she puts him on a probiotic powder, then kind of throws in the towel after a few weeks with no change.
I'm still going along with a combo of the miralax, probiotic, and suppositories.
So I decided to pull ALL grain and just have him do fruit, veggies and meat. And with NO drugs, he was good for about 3 weeks on his own.
Then he started tapering off again, and now I feel like I'm back to where I started, even though I really didn't change his diet from what seemed to be working a few weeks ago.
I can say that aside from pushing with no results throughout the day (when I don't give him the suppositories) he is happy, and doesn't really seem uncomfortable. His bottom has never torn, and his BM's are firm, but they're not dry and rabbit poop consistency. They just look like a smaller version of an adult's...
I'm at my wits end. I'm scared for my son. All I really feel that works on him is the suppositories, and I know that those aren't supposed to be used on a regular basis. I don't know if his stomach muscles are just weak? Or if he has some kind of colon problem, or??? I am terrified, and would appreciate any thoughts, or anyone who has gone through something like this. I don't want to put him through anything unnecessary, but I need to know that he's ok.
Thanks for listening.

Advertisement

jordanalisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:50 PM   #2
blane,j,&morgansmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Advice Please - Constantly Constipated Baby :(

I read in another post about eliminating dairy and see if that helps. I have to give my 2yo fiber choice daily and activia yogurt. And on occasion Miralax.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:54 PM   #3
jordanalisa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We never even got to giving him dairy, aside from a very occasional formula bottle in emergency...
I discussed MY dairy intake with the chiro, but my eating habits never changed, and I never really consumed a lot of it.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:56 PM   #4
blane,j,&morgansmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

dairy wasnt an issue for us either. But its genetic here. Two of my kiddos have problems. Its no fun. Im sorry your lo is having these issues too!
Old 07-03-2011, 10:04 PM   #5
808mamaof3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Is he still nursing? If so, maybe cut out some oatmeal/cereal as the iron may be stopping up or, go half/half of prunes and oatmeal. I would also avoid bananas and maybe apples. My son had a constipation issue due to a birth defect and our surgeon had us avoid bananas, rice, and apples while he was on a laxative (per dr. order). Also, I wouldn't hesistate to call the doctor's office and speak to a nurse, they might have some helpful tips too.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:08 PM   #6
jordanalisa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

He doesn't eat any kind of oatmeal/cereal anymore... only grains he gets at this point are table foods that he gets small amounts of when he's sharing off our plates... and don't give him bananas at all, either...
Old 07-03-2011, 10:17 PM   #7
happymama1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

probiotics!!!!! he needs more good bacteria in his gut to help him pass stool....

I would order primadophilis powdered (for children) probiotcs made by natures way (sold on amazon, it's not too expensive)....then put 1/2 tsp. in his baby food once a day. after several days, he should be doing better.
happymama1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:20 PM   #8
happymama1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

also, oatmeal can be cross contaminated with wheat, and barley is in the same family as wheat....wheat allergies/gluten intolerance/celiac can cause serious constipation...probiotics will help....and if he shows any other symptoms or if the constipation doesn't improve, tell your doctor/ped that you want some food allergy testing done for wheat.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:21 PM   #9
jordanalisa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

He was on a probiotic for a few weeks that the chiro prescribed... and it was about 2 weeks after we started it that he started going consistently... do you think that stopping it caused him to back up again slowly? Thinking about it, it was stupid of me to stop it, he just seemed briefly to be doing so well.. I did start him back on it today...
Old 07-03-2011, 10:29 PM   #10
happymama1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

good! keep him on probiotics! he will probably need them indefinitely....my pediatrician SWEARS by probiotics....my kiddos take one every day.

basically, I've read up on nutrition, and a long time ago, we used to prepare foods differently so they could be digested better and the nutrients could be absorbed better....our modern food is so void of nutrients, and a lot of stuff that "claims" to be healthy just strips our gut of good things....but the problem is that most people don't realize this...probiotic supplements make up for a multitude of problematic eating....even stuff that we don't realize isn't good for our digestive systems