Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-20-2012, 10:47 AM   #1
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
Smelly armpits

So, I don't use deodorant. At all. Most of the time I don't really smell much, sometimes a little whiff of odor but its not bad, just natural. But once in a while my armpits stink terrible! Like I can barely stand it. I'm not certain, but I think it may be when I wear polyester. Either its not letting me breathe, or the material itself smells more when exposed to sweat.

Our maybe I'm just looking for a reason to explain why I get stinky : giggle:. Anyone else have this reaction? If so, then I'm ditching the last few remaining polyester shirts I have.

Advertisement

SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:03 AM   #2
need some diaps!
Registered Users
seller

Re: Smelly armpits

For me lots of coffee really makes a difference...and sometimes a trim helps
need some diaps! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:12 AM   #3
Shimpie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yes, polyester clothing will hold odor and and can be difficult to get fully clean. That's why a lot of athletic clothing is antimicrobial. I've thrown out some workout clothing, not because it was worn out, but rather because it stunk. It wasn't worth the extra work to keep them stink free.

I don't wear deodorant either, not even in summer time. As far as I know, I don't stink. Trust me, my co-workers would let me know. The only time my pits stink is when they need a good exfoliation once a month or so.
Shimpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:39 AM   #4
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
Thanks! Looks like a good reason to go through clothes again!
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:43 AM   #5
sandrc
Registered Users
seller

i get that when i wea polyester. the more poly in the clothing the worse the smell. dh got me some nightgowns with 40% poly in them 60% cotton and in the morning i do have some smell. enough that i have to wash before getting dressed.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:55 AM   #6
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

I am a stink-bomb, so it is not even an option not to wear deodorant. I keep trying natural deodorants but am continually disappointed (I do use them in the winter on days when I am mostly at home by myself; otherwise I need my Degree).

So I know something about stink. It could very well be that your polyester clothes in particular are holding on to smells in between washings so that the smell is more quickly "activated." I have found this to be the case in the past. Now I spray Biokleen stain and odor remover (Bac-out) on the armpits of all my shirts (polyester and non) when putting them in the hamper, and it does wonders for removing the smell. You may want to do so with your polyester shirts and to occasionally add it to the wash with all your shirts just to make sure your smell is as presentable as you think it is (one can become a bit inured to one's own smell).
debcita429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:22 PM   #7
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

I stopped wearing my poly "wicking" rei shirts because the armpits would smell coming out of the washing machine. I like the idea of spraying them thou

BTW, I smell to. I couldn't go without deodorant either. I finally broke down and started using a baking soda corn starch mix (about 3 to 1) and its working really well. Better than the natural deodorants and I won't use anything else.

I keep in a little jar and pour some in my hand. I lean over the sink for easier cleanup but this application method not too much falls in the sink (versus pinching some and trying to apply -- messy). I always do it with my shirt off or sometimes I didn't get enough coverage and ended up stinking.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! Nighttime Trainers
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:33 PM   #8
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixi6s View Post

BTW, I smell to. I couldn't go without deodorant either. I finally broke down and started using a baking soda corn starch mix (about 3 to 1) and its working really well. Better than the natural deodorants and I won't use anything else.
Great tip! Thanks! Bac-Out has been my miracle-worker for about 6 years. I keep it beside the hamper. I hope it redeems your REI shirts .
Old 12-21-2012, 01:09 PM   #9
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Since I was about to shower when Pixi6 left her recommendation and since I had a suitable empty container, I mixed 1/2 tsp cornstarch, 1 1/2 tsp baking soda, 2 drops thieves oil and 2 drops tsp tea tree oil, shook it up, and smeared it on (I figured I would benefit from some anti-bacterial action and the scent boost). Although I've not had an active day yet, the preliminary results for winter use are impressive. I keep sniffing myself in amazement. Thanks!

Last edited by debcita429; 12-21-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:51 PM   #10
MariaLA
Registered Users
seller

I use a coconut oil deoderant:

3 tbl baking soda
6 tbl corn starch
6-8 tbl coconut oil
10 or more drops tea tree oil

Works better than any commercial deodorant ever did for me.