Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-18-2007, 04:26 PM   #11
Katherine
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: What should I do?

As a teacher, I can say that if I called a parent every time a kid fooled around in class (not saying yours was), I'd have half-full classes and be on the phone 2/3 of the day. "Playing" with a tree is not, in my opinion, a "sending home from school" worthy-offense. Kids usually aren't sent home from school unless they pose an immediate danger to themselves or others - otherwise, schools would be depriving students of their right to an education.

Most likely, it was a momentary thing - kid playing around, possibly distracted from class/distracting others, and the teacher fixes the problem by taking the distracting element out of the equation. Fast forward to the end of the day, a million things have happened in between, and the teacher didn't remember to give the tree back/notify you/follow up. Even if he wasn't really doing anything he perceived as "bad" or distracting, it's amazing what kids don't think about/understand about the school environment. Maybe he was unintentionally distracting others. Maybe he was absent-mindedly playing with it and the teacher thought he was distracted. I'd just send an email saying, Hey, we were really looking forward to planting the tree - can you explain what ds did to get it taken away and what he can do to earn it back? Seriously, this happened friday? And this is sunday? Please, wait until you hear what happened and give the teacher a chance to resolve the issue before getting "pissed".

Oh, yeah, and if you do call up monday morning early and she's not there before school - she might have morning bus duty or something, or just be human and getting a little bit of a late start before school. Plus, she might not have a phone in her room and the office of most schools is crazy in the morning, so it might not be possible to get in touch with her. If all my kids' parents expected me to be there an hour or 45 minutes early, I'd look really bad - my sitter's doesn't open until 1/2 hr before school starts.

I'm not saying that the teacher was right, no matter what, I'm just saying that there always seems to be more to the story than any one kid ever tells, and a teacher has to manage a classroom for the benefit of ALL the kids, and sometimes stuff happens. Approach her diplomatically and fairly, and I'm sure she'll respond in kind.
Katherine is offline   Reply With Quote