Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-24-2018, 05:07 AM   #1
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Chicks

We have 8 chickens. My kids hatched chicks at school. So unfortunately we have 5 roosters and only 3 hens. Sadly my hens are older and no longer laying. I would love to get chicks this spring. But we got kittens last summer. We usually keep the chicks in the house for the first few months. But I know the cats will hunt them. When we first got the kittens last summer the chicks were still in the house. We had to hurry up and get them out to the coop because the kittens were hunting them. Fortunately the chicks were big enough to go out to the coop. And while they still were in the house they were big enough that the small kittens weren't a huge threat. But the cats are full grown now and the chicks would be tiny and I don't see how to make it work. I don't want chicks in my bedroom. The only other option would be my unfinished basement. But we use a heat lamp. So it makes me nervous to have the heatlamp on when we aren't down there much!!! Grr.

Advertisement

My Avon Earn giftcards with Swagbucks My Blog - Change Jar Blog
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 06:36 AM   #2
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Chicks

Garage? Closed in porch? We kept chicks in our garage a year or two ago. I was nervous about it so I put one of our video baby monitors in there so I could check in or would be notified if something was happening.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:53 AM   #3
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

We kept our chicks in a big wooden box with mesh over the top on our back porch until they were ready to go into the coop. We had a heating pad in there instead of a heat lamp--covered so they couldn't peck through and electrocute themselves. Seems like you could keep them in some kind of a brooder inside as long as it was enclosed, or do like we did and put a screen over whatever you are keeping them in so no cats can get through. Good luck!
Old 03-25-2018, 01:35 PM   #4
zeotwoski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd just add a screen top to whatever system worked for you last year.

Our chicks stay outside in a big crate with a heat lamp, near the porch but off it since I'm too worried about fire.
zeotwoski is offline   Reply With Quote