Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-06-2013, 07:58 PM   #1
ACSNMama
Registered Users,br>Formerly: Mrs***08
seller

Want to have another baby, but not while on depression medication...

We've wanted to have another baby, and what better time than this??

Well.. one hang up. I'm on Zoloft. I had severe depression last year, and recently, I started slacking on consistently taking my pill, because we have been pretty busy this summer. The depression crept back up, but as soon as I was in the swing of taking it consistently again, I'm back to feeling really good.

I don't want to be on depression medication forever! DH and I agreed that if we were to have another baby, that he (and myself) don't want me to be on depression medication while pregnant. My OB said that it would be "ok" and better than being depressed, but I don't want to risk it.

I sort of feel like my hope for another baby has been squashed, because that issue aside, we would be TTC now!

Advertisement

ACSNMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:46 PM   #2
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: Want to have another baby, but not while on depression medication...

i had to take them with my last bc i have anxiety and depression. It a very personal choice and for me i needed to parent 3 kids and be happy
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:53 PM   #3
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

For me I have used the movie called The Secret and positive affirmations to manage my depression.
I agree with your not wanting to be on depression meds while preg because I fell like in 10 yrs there will be those commercials that say "if your child was born with xyz and you were taking xyz depression meds then call this number"

Hugs to you at this time.
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:05 AM   #4
ACSNMama
Registered Users,br>Formerly: Mrs***08
seller

I think it's great so many women have been able to take them while pregnant and have healthy babies! I also am happy that most women aren't judging "why do you want more children if you're depressed?!"

Looking back at my life, I have struggled with serious anxiety, and a little bit depression for quite some time, and I could have benefited from antidepressants a long time ago, and I likely wouldn't have landed myself on them now.

Sometimes I think that I can just cure myself, and that it's my issue, and I can take control and not need the antidepressants, but there is literally a night and day difference in how I feel being on/off them. My DH wasn't fond of me getting on them, but when I got to the point of not knowing how to function anymore, and losing excessive amounts of weight, I was desperate. I always felt there was a stigma about them, nearly every Mom I knew was on them after having babies, and I was too prideful to do the same. Hindsight is always 20/20!

With that said, I love my children dearly. I'm a homeschooling Mom of 3 sweet children, and before the severe depression last year, DH said he would like a 4th. Things in life are looking up for us, we have finally bought a house, and we have gotten on our feet recently, deep down I would like 5 children, but feel somewhat selfish to want more children, knowing I do have anxiety issues, and I have struggled with depression. I just really don't want to be on medication while pregnant. I wouldn't judge someone for doing so, I'm just very nervous about the idea, and DH is firmly against it.

A friend of mine mentioned how women are on antidepressants while pregnant, and she made comments stating that she can't believe women would risk that to avoid being "stressed." She obviously has not struggled with severe depression, because it's not as simple as just being "stressed!" There is a huge difference in normal stress, and being clinically depressed.

ACSNMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:31 AM   #5
JasmineMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with you and PP, I haven't struggled with depression but I've had a life long struggle with anxiety. I have found many natural ways to work on my anxiety and I've really worked on cataloging my triggers so I can avoid them (or if I can't avoid them I can talk through the issue with someone like DH or a sister). I have had prescription anxiety medication in the past -- and for me just know I have that as a last resort makes my anxiety more manageable. But, a big part of my anxiety is a fear of big pharma and the things doctors/pharma doesn't tell you about drugs (I'm an attorney and I've seen way to many lawsuits/complaints against doctors to blindly trust).

I, too, wouldn't take that medicine while pregnant or nursing. Have you tried talking to a counselor? Many studies show that cognitive-behavioral therapy is just as good or better than meds. I would look into it if you haven't.