Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-23-2008, 11:19 PM   #11
joanna19
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Tell me about Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiebear View Post
Ha ha! Totally using that next time I talk to my friends in Vancouver!!!
unfort. it is sooo true

Quote:
Originally Posted by olliesmomma View Post
another BC mama here I think everyone else has pretty much summed it up for this Province. I love it here (I'm in the greater Vancouver area) but we do find the cost of living pretty high and forget about being a first-time homeowner...the market is ridiculous right now. in spite of that though I don't think there is anywere else I'd rather live. I did spend a year in Northern Alberta and as much as I loved the cold, sunny winters (as opposed to the mild but very wet ones of the coast) I was really homesick for the mountains and the ocean.
I wouldn't live anywhere else either. We have it all really. I also have been to Alberta and drove from Grande Praire to Edmonton to go to "the mall", and I have to say that I really missed the mountains and ocean. It was kinda bizarre not seeing them.

Advertisement

Old 06-23-2008, 11:23 PM   #12
olliesmomma
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanna19 View Post
I wouldn't live anywhere else either. We have it all really. I also have been to Alberta and drove from Grande Praire to Edmonton to go to "the mall", and I have to say that I really missed the mountains and ocean. It was kinda bizarre not seeing them.
I lived just north of Grande Prairie there really was nothing there (at least at the time) it just never felt like home until I got into the mountains though. this is kinda backwards but the openness of the prairies made me a little clausterphobic (sp?)

my knitting/everyday life blog
olliesmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:20 AM   #13
daisy0306
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
another BC mama here I think everyone else has pretty much summed it up for this Province. I love it here (I'm in the greater Vancouver area) but we do find the cost of living pretty high and forget about being a first-time homeowner...the market is ridiculous right now. in spite of that though I don't think there is anywere else I'd rather live. I did spend a year in Northern Alberta and as much as I loved the cold, sunny winters (as opposed to the mild but very wet ones of the coast) I was really homesick for the mountains and the ocean.
Quote:
I lived just north of Grande Prairie there really was nothing there (at least at the time) it just never felt like home until I got into the mountains though. this is kinda backwards but the openness of the prairies made me a little clausterphobic (sp?)
I live in Grande Prairie and there's definatly something here now. This town is ever changing and constantly growing. New buildings pop up almost overnight. It's still very much a redneck town, but there are pockets of crunchy people. The hospital is very pro- bfing, though the walk-in clinic still didn't hesitate to give me formula at my last appointment before I had DD. It's a very young town, think the average age was 31. Lots of young people coming here to start their lives and families.

However, it's a hard place to live. There is lots of work, but not a lot of places to live. Rent and housing is high, food is expensive. Stores are crowded, people are rude, and the drivers are downright frightening. The winters are cold and long, and it's hard to get out to see people because of that.

It's a pretty little city that's growing faster than it can be built. All in all it's a good place to live, but I miss BC.
daisy0306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:32 AM   #14
Liddle1
Registered Users
Formerly: tummy mommy

I can't stand alberta personally. So brown and flat and cold... and no ocean to look at! I didn't think I was attached to the ocean until I lived far away from it. And it's so dry there my skin literally cracks and bleeds.

BC is a little greener than other provinces I think. maybe that's because there's a whole lot of pot smokers here, lol!! (and no i don't smoke pot!)
Liddle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:52 AM   #15
eco-baby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mama if you're looking for the hippiesm they're in Nelson B.C I lived there for a while and it's really beautiful. Canmore Alberta is also beautiful, if you have a mil to spend on a house, I grew up there.
I'm and Albertan (grew up here, moved back later) and TA w/ the pp about Alberta.
I LOVE it where I live, I love being Canadian, I thank God everyday to be where I am
I find the air is fresher here than anywhere else I go, it's that big breath of fresh air as I step off the plane.
People are friendly, lots of oprotunity's, good health care system, I love the 4 seasons' - even though summer's the shortest one!
I can just travel around Alberta/BC all summer, there's the Calgary Zoo, Drumheller Tyrell museum, Sylvin lake water slides, The rockie mountains out by Canmore/Banff, Whitewater rafting in Golden BC, My best friends in Vernon...I want to get back to the kootneys and go skinny dipping (lol fat chance dh'll let that happen! he doesn't even like me nursing out in the open w/ no blanket -I thought the tee shirt was enough, but no I guess not - so yeah some of us are a little more conservitive than others)..
It really depends where you live, Canadas HUGE -and like Newfoundland's got a culture all of it's own...each place I find has a bit of it's own culture in Canada. I could go on, but I think I went on enough for one post
Old 06-24-2008, 10:58 AM   #16
daisy0306
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DH is newfie, they have their own language, lol. Beautiful province
Old 06-24-2008, 11:07 AM   #17
eco-baby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy0306 View Post
DH is newfie, they have their own language, lol. Beautiful province
I love it, this girl I used to work with it only came out when she was drunk or mad, and she'd be steaming mad about something and I'd be rolling on the floor laughing cuz of her newfie speak! It's one of the few provinces in Canda I've never been to, there PEI and N.B.

I like BC too but I'm an Alberta girl, I'll take a cold sunny winter over a warm, dark, rainy one any day (I got SAD ever year I lived in BC, now I don't get it at all). But I loved BC better when I was younger so it's where I was at at the time

I do miss the mountains though....
Old 06-24-2008, 11:19 AM   #18
TempoHasPaws
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you everyone who has responded!!
Old 06-24-2008, 11:29 AM   #19
daisy0306
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco-baby View Post
I love it, this girl I used to work with it only came out when she was drunk or mad, and she'd be steaming mad about something and I'd be rolling on the floor laughing cuz of her newfie speak! It's one of the few provinces in Canda I've never been to, there PEI and N.B.

I like BC too but I'm an Alberta girl, I'll take a cold sunny winter over a warm, dark, rainy one any day (I got SAD ever year I lived in BC, now I don't get it at all). But I loved BC better when I was younger so it's where I was at at the time

I do miss the mountains though....
I'd love to go to PEI

I miss the BC winters, but I love the Alberta summers. The Thunderstorms here are amazing. GP is not a great city to live in, but we would still stay in this area, just out to an acreage.

I miss BC, but most of my Dad's family lives in Alberta so I feel like I belong here. I do hope we end up back in BC, though and so does DH.

Last edited by daisy0306; 06-24-2008 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:55 PM   #20
peachesmum
Registered Users

My Mood:

I live in Ontario, about an hour from Toronto. I love living in Canada but would like warmer weather in the winters but not really enough to ever move. I'm intrigued by BC and really like the south shore of Nova Scotia, but can't imagine moving away from friends and family. I'd say that Canada is more liberal than the U.S., but there aren't many crunchy mamas around my town (yet!). Health system could use some improvements (what couldn't), but I'm proud to live in a country where health care is available to everyone.