Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-05-2013, 02:22 PM   #1
meg28
Registered Users
seller

Not Loving RightStart

We are using RightStart Level A and I dread it! Let me preface this with my daughter is 6 (November birthday) and in kindergarten, so the struggles we are having could be her age, as based on what her public schooling 1st grade friends are learning math wise is comparable to what we are doing. She dreads math and often seems super confused. Math lessons typically end in tears and frustration. It all seemed to be going great until we got to the double digits, meaning the whole 1-ten, 2-ten concept which really throws her for a loop and then she gets super upset that she is not getting it and starts to shut down, she is very hard on herself and if she doesn't get it the first time it's as if in her mind that was her one shot to get it right. I try to encourage her and show her ways to better grasp the concept but she is so stubborn she wants to figure it out on her own. I get the overall idea of teaching the parts of the whole I do, but I am not sure if we should keep pushing through this frustration or move on to another program. If I do keep with this program any suggestions for 1st grade next year? Also anyone else face this bump with RightStart? Did it get better or did you switch it up to another program?

Any insight or similar stories welcomed and appreciated!

Advertisement

SAHM to S 11/9/06 J 11/1/09 and M 10/27/11
meg28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:27 PM   #2
momof3boysNC
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Not Loving RightStart

First of all, don't give up on Rightstart! It's an awesome math program.

Your daughter sounds a lot like my 5 year old son. If he doesn't "get" how to do something he gets very frustrated and stops trying. We started level A with him when he was 4, he wanted to tag along with his older brother. When it got to where he was having trouble, I backed him up almost to the beginning, he finished level A as a 5 year old. We are now slowly working through level B.

Theres a link that gives great advice about rightstart, I'll be back!
**Comically Creative**
momof3boysNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:30 PM   #3
meg28
Registered Users
seller

I was thinking in that direction too. Backing up to where she WAS grasping the concepts and essentially re-doing the more challenging parts. Thanks for the encouragement.

SAHM to S 11/9/06 J 11/1/09 and M 10/27/11
meg28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:33 PM   #4
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Am I understanding correctly that you are speaking about place value? Does she simply need a visual cue, you think?
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:42 PM   #5
cbreeding
Registered Users

My DD is a perfectionist and if she can't get something right away, she doesn't want to do it. There are certain concepts we would get to and she just had a hard time grasping. I just took things slower then, broke a lesson up into multiple days, maybe even just one lesson a week (we usually do 3-4 a week). We would end up playing the games more, using the manipulatives.

Because my DD already knew twenty, thirty, etc., it was hard at first for her to use the two-ten approach. One day it just clicked that twenty = two tens. Once she got it, she moved quickly into being able to add double digits (if she didn't need to carry) even doing hundreds.

I think that with any math program, there are areas that a child just gets stuck or needs more time to grasp the concept. RightStart may not be for everyone but I found that my DD is not just memorizing facts but is learning them and can apply the concepts when things are presented differently. Such as learning about money and then using the concepts to apply to time (such as quarter, half) etc.
cbreeding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:42 AM   #6
Designsbybequi
Registered Users
seller

We didn't use Rightstart math for K but if my dd didn't get something I'd try explaining it a different way. If that didn't work I'd just stop and in a couple months, she'd get it. For the 1-ten, 2-ten concept try looking over a hundreds chart. Cuisinaire rods could also help with this. Take a ten rod then put another ten rod next to it. An abacus could be another visual for counting by tens. Maybe just count by tens by swinging or jumping and make it fun to memorize. I even used a different workbook entirely once in a trouble area and she got it that way. Another time I asked her dad to try and explain something and I thought he was so confusing but she got it! The brain- its a curious thing . There isn't a perfect curriculum and most of us mix it up a bit for the best outcome.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:20 AM   #7
momof3boysNC
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here's a link with great advice concerning Rightstart. Hope this helps!
**Comically Creative**
momof3boysNC is offline   Reply With Quote