Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-26-2013, 02:03 PM   #21
bakerbottoms
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by misskira
Just wanted to offer hugs. I'm a public school special ed teacher. im really great at my job even! But I am in no way cut out for homeschool. I am not at all good at sticking to a routine or schedule when I am home. You are NOT a failure. I'm all about doing what's right for your family. Don't let your family or your feelings of guilt get in the way of that.
Thank you❤ After much thought, prayer, good advice & support from my husband we are putting the oldest two 6&5 in private school next year. I'm going to focus on my health this next year. I need to be strong & healthy, making me a priority is a hard thing to but for the years to come its a must.

Advertisement

~ Albert Einstein
bakerbottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:08 PM   #22
bakerbottoms
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jengojengo
We went from homeschool to public, and have had a good experience. We stay very involved in the school and our kids classes.
Thanks for sharing in a positive way! We are putting them in school next year. I feel the biggest weight lifted off. What are some ideas of how you stay involved?
~ Albert Einstein
bakerbottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:21 PM   #23
CCRMSS
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: homeschool to private or public??

Homeschooling is NOT for everyone. Not every parent is cut out for it, and not every child learns best from it. It does not mean you are a failure if you stop. It means you love your kids enough to do what is best for THEM if homeschooling is not working out for you. If you truely think that homeschooling is what is best for your family, then don't let your extended family make you feel bad for your decision. But I certainly would not keep doing it just because you don't want to look like a failure for stopping. If you are not happy doing it, and the kids are not learning from it, then I would look at making some changes, somehow, some way (getting treatment for the depression would be the first place I would start).

I think part of it too is WHY are you homeschooling- to control content? because you are in a bad district? because you think it is the best option?

I know for us, our IDEAL situation would be private. I want my kids in a christian environment, and I think they would both thrive in a social setting with more peer interaction and resources than what I can give at home. However, private is not in our budget. Our public school is bad- really low test scores, not the best group of kids, etc, and we are just not willing to expose our kids to the things that they would be exposed to there, nor are we happy with the level of education it would provide. So for us, homeschooling is the best option until we can move or send them to private. If we had someone offer to pay for private, we would so be all over that

I know lots of people who homeschool for a little while- one year, several years, but at some point, move their kids to private or public for all kinds of reasons. For some, the need to homeschool was no longer there (they moved), for some, they didn't feel they could adequately teach higher grades, for some they wanted their kids to have access to more sports or extracurricular options, and for some, the time just came to be done, either for the parent or the child. NONE of those are wrong or bad or mean that someone failed. It just measn that circumstances changed so people adapted.