Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-29-2017, 06:19 PM   #1
kittyhaven
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Engorged with a Large Lump in my Breast

Just had a baby and I'm on day 2 of the engorgement phase. In my left breast there is a really big hard lump that I cannot get rid of. I'm putting baby on that side a lot, trying massage and warmth, plus showers and the breast pump, but the lump will not go away. It is SUPER tender and painful.

No fever...

Any ideas?

Advertisement

Old 01-29-2017, 06:25 PM   #2
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Engorged with a Large Lump in my Breast

I cant remember what it is called but one time I had a really bad hard spot and none of the normal stuff (all the things you mentioned) was working so I googled and googled until I found something that is like a plugged duct but more on the surface of your nipple. Basically one of those super tiny holes is plugged with dry milk. After inspection I could see a small white dot (dried milk) that was causing a back up in that area. Maybe look for something like that. After I noticed it I manually expressed some milk and could tell no milk was coming out of that area. I will go back and try to find the name of it for you. I basically had to try to pop it like a pimple. It hurt like hell but the relief was worth it.

ETA: I just recalled..they are refered to as milk blisters. That isnt the medical term though I dont think.

Last edited by kmrotski; 01-29-2017 at 06:27 PM.
kmrotski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 06:29 PM   #3
kittyhaven
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrotski View Post
I googled and googled until I found something that is like a plugged duct but more on the surface of your nipple. Basically one of those super tiny holes is plugged with dry milk. ETA: I just recalled..they are refered to as milk blisters. That isnt the medical term though I dont think.
I think I had one of these with another baby, but this is different. It's more on the side of the breast (not near the nipple at all) and is really big and hard under the skin.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:55 PM   #4
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyhaven View Post
I think I had one of these with another baby, but this is different. It's more on the side of the breast (not near the nipple at all) and is really big and hard under the skin.
As long as you know it isnt this because I had no idea these even exsisted so it turned into the big hard lump youre describing because it went untreated for so long.
kmrotski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:29 PM   #5
andunc02
Registered Users

My Mood:

With my second I had a clogged ducton the side that took two days to work out. What finally worked was pumping while leaning over so that my breast was hanging down. Using a hot washcloth while pumping and feeding also seemed to give me some relief but didn't make it go completely away.

Good luck momma
andunc02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:51 PM   #6
jessikate
Registered Users

Hi! God bless you honi! Been there! I have had a heck of a time nursing! Sounds to me like a plugged duct. Had several of these lumps and mastitis. Awful. I found lecithin with pumping with warm compress after feedings to work miracles. I did that and took garlic and echinacea tincture with probiotics when I had mastitis to avoid antibiotics.

https://www.amazon.com/Foods-Sunflow.../dp/B003BHSXPS

You may know this site already, it is a life saver. If not, I highly suggest you read up here:
http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/mastitis/

And here:

http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastf...ents/#mastitis

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jessikate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:30 AM   #7
gabby's mom
Registered Users
seller

It also could be a galactocele. I had one that had to be drained - SUHWEET RELIEF! I had to have a ultrasound to have it diagnosed.

No matter how many kids you have breastfed... it is never easy! Good luck mama!
Old 03-17-2017, 10:08 AM   #8
linem24
Registered Users

Late with a reply but in case others find this thread: keep an eye on it and go to the doc if it doesn't resolve soon. Simplest reason is a blocked duct and that can easily become mastitis. Try nursing baby in different positions from that side to work on the clog. TMI warning: watch outside of nipple for little white dots the size of a pencil point--that's the plug or the "cork" of the duct! Remove that/them however you can and then have babe nurse from that side. Observe if lump gets smaller before/after the feeding. Sounds crazy but a cabbage leaf in your bra can help relieve engorgement/clogged duct. In my own experience, hot showers/baths increased my supply so these were not helpful when I had a clogged duct or mastitis starting.
linem24 is offline   Reply With Quote