Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-13-2015, 08:12 AM   #1
rochel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Hi! I realize that this is probably better on backyard chickens but I can only deal with so many forums at once. We are new to having chickens. So far it's great! We got 4 this spring. 2 Buff Orpington , 1 Welsumer and 1 Americana. They are 21 weeks old now and not a single egg. I'm starting to panic. Should I be worried? 2 have red combs and wattles and seem like they should lay an egg any day now but nothing. Please reassure me that we will get eggs. Thank you!

Advertisement

Last edited by rochel; 08-13-2015 at 08:19 AM.
rochel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 11:34 AM   #2
Southernbelle
Registered Users
seller

Re: Chickens not laying yet

You will get eggs! It can take a while, especially in the heat of summer. Make sure they have plenty of food and water all the time and that they get lots of light. It will happen!

There's no chance they have a hidden nest anywhere, do they?

Mama to 6: DD 6/00, DS 2/02, DD 11/05, DS 12/10, DS 5/14 and DD 7/15
3 angel babies from miscarriages
Southernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 11:52 AM   #3
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernbelle View Post
You will get eggs! It can take a while, especially in the heat of summer. Make sure they have plenty of food and water all the time and that they get lots of light. It will happen!

There's no chance they have a hidden nest anywhere, do they?
Yep. I would go on a egg hunt if there is somewhere they might be laying. Otherwise it will happen. We have 6 the same age as yours (as well as some a little over a year old). 2 of my six new ones are laying. One I didn't even know was laying yet- thought it was another one- until she disappeared one day. Then 3 days later she made an appearance and disappeared again. Thought something got her. Turns out she had a clutch hidden next to our house and went broody. I didn't even know they would go broody that young. Our year olds didn't until they were a year old.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:27 PM   #4
NEkalmia
Registered Users
seller

Yeah, they are JUST now starting to be at the age when they will start laying. Especially the Orpingtons might wait until 24 weeks. So don't worry yet!
And they won't all start at once, you will find an egg one day then nothing for a few days, then maybe another egg before you start finding an egg a day or multiple eggs.
NEkalmia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 03:18 PM   #5
explauren
Registered Users
seller

We got our first birds last year (Buff Orps), and they were easily 24-25 weeks before we started seeing eggs.
explauren is offline   Reply With Quote