Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-03-2012, 05:24 AM   #21
myall4him2
Loving Touch Wet Bags
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: MAY Flowers ... \*/ Garden Chat thread \*/

So jealous of those of you with chickens! I would LOVE to have chickens someday!

Advertisement

myall4him2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:56 AM   #22
leila03ash
Registered Users

Hi! I thought of join in the conversation. This is about my 4th year of gardening. I have a 200 sq ft garden. Here are some pics along with some questions. Its pic heavy. Sorry.

Ok well I don't know how to attach words to the pics so here are the questions. You might have to search for the pic it goes with.

1. Why are a few of my squash wrinkled and/or shriveling? Some are doing great as you can see in the last 2 bounty pics with my new little helper!

2. What are the white flowers at the top of my potato plant? That is the only potato out of about 30 that have that.

3. Are those seeds at the top of the onion? The white buds? If so, can I save and plant them later?

4. Whats wrong with my eggplant? It looks like it is dying. The edges of the leaves are drying up and turning white.

Last question. I'm in central Texas. When my 3 yr old gets home he is going to help me pick a lot of the onions and potatoes. Can I plant more of both or is it getting to hot? I would love to keep those going nearly year round if possible.

Thanks in advance and I'm so glad this thread is here! I love seeing everyone's gardens and chickens. I really hope to have chickens one day!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3817185763.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	103691   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3145929734.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	103695   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3881132328.jpg
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	103696   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1815612005.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	103697   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3881812670.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	103698  

Name:	image-1354316599.jpg
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	103699   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2120242052.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	103700   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2103837548.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	103701   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1092601235.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	103702   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3894523970.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	103703  

Name:	image-513870668.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	103704   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-721630662.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	103705   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-426833153.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	103706   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1871015701.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	103707   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-874722633.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	103709  

leila03ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:36 PM   #23
myall4him2
Loving Touch Wet Bags
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by leila03ash View Post
Hi! I thought of join in the conversation. This is about my 4th year of gardening. I have a 200 sq ft garden. Here are some pics along with some questions. Its pic heavy. Sorry.

Ok well I don't know how to attach words to the pics so here are the questions. You might have to search for the pic it goes with.

1. Why are a few of my squash wrinkled and/or shriveling? Some are doing great as you can see in the last 2 bounty pics with my new little helper!

2. What are the white flowers at the top of my potato plant? That is the only potato out of about 30 that have that.

3. Are those seeds at the top of the onion? The white buds? If so, can I save and plant them later?

4. Whats wrong with my eggplant? It looks like it is dying. The edges of the leaves are drying up and turning white.

Last question. I'm in central Texas. When my 3 yr old gets home he is going to help me pick a lot of the onions and potatoes. Can I plant more of both or is it getting to hot? I would love to keep those going nearly year round if possible.

Thanks in advance and I'm so glad this thread is here! I love seeing everyone's gardens and chickens. I really hope to have chickens one day!

Oh oh!! I love just love that baby your garden grew!! I'm sprouting one of those too

Old 05-03-2012, 02:21 PM   #24
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I didn't see any wrinkled ones? If they do seem shrivled to you, they could be overripe or not hydrated enough.
If I was looking at the right plant, I did see potato leaves. But, the white flowering plant looks like it's just a weed growing up through it. Hard to tell.
They are for sure seeds! Most people just cut them off, but you can grow from them. They fall easily so you may want to tie a bag around them or pantyhose. It will take a cpl yrs to grow large onions from them. I just planted some from seed this year and put them in a row they can stay in for prob 2 yrs.
I have plants that do that from time to time. Not sure if it's too much heat/sun on them or not enough water?I just clip my bottom leaves off and the new growth takes over.
They really like it cool in my experience, soil wise. You could give it a shot for sure! I can't get over how you already got your crop out of them, lol!!! Onions don't do well for me in the heat either. We get onion maggots when they get past time to harvest in the higher temps. You could try to burry them deeper than usual? It's worth a shot either way. Not sure hot it is there?
BTW, great pics!!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:01 PM   #25
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:

It was not fertilized. Try to encourage the bee population by planting sunflowers or other attracting plants. In the meantime you can play mrs. bee by taking a Q-tip or small kids paintbrush and swishing some pollen from the male flower (long stem, no fruit on end) to the females.

I have been told that it means your potatoes are beginning to set tubers. It could also mean they are too hot, so if they have not been in the ground long enough to be setting tubers you may need to provide shade. Mine never bloomed and never set tubers either.

Yep, and yep!

It's hard to tell from that picture but it could be blight or it is sudden it might be fertilizer burn.

I think (correct me if I'm wrong here) that both should be planted in cool season so you should wait till it cools off. However, both will continue to get bigger if you leave them in the ground - thus - larger crop.

Everything looks fantastic!!
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:26 PM   #26
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, had to end the day at 3. I think I enhaled too much pain fumes. Got so sick. I did manage to paint the inside of the coop floor, the roosts, and the boards around/under the roosts. I did just over 3/4 of the outside. The roof will need to be done by DH. I wanted that white, but we have to use the paint we have. DH may be able to finish the walls of the run today. It keeps raining on and off. I just looked out back now and all the walls but one are done. Oh, and the top is on. He's working in the out building on building the last wall to the run.

Well, that's my day!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:19 PM   #27
leila03ash
Registered Users

Thanks for all the suggestions!
Old 05-03-2012, 06:21 PM   #28
leila03ash
Registered Users

That was supposed to be longer. I'm going to try some of the suggestions!

Way to go Sarah! Sorry you got sick
Old 05-03-2012, 07:23 PM   #29
myall4him2
Loving Touch Wet Bags
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

The other night we had some organic romaine lettuce with our dinner and I decided to save the base and see if it would grow back if I planted it in the garden. I planted it last night and it's already sprouting new leaves!!! I love this gardening stuff!!

Old 05-03-2012, 07:37 PM   #30
Bethannp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Been crazy busy here! Such is my life. The peas I planted last month have not fared so well, out of 25, only 7 have sprouted so far. I got my 2nd peas planted on Tuesday, and today planted cukes and greenbeans, all direct sowed in the garden. My dye garden seems to be sprouting, I can't really do much weeding because I'm not certain what's what at this point. I had started the dahlias in pots indoors, but Waylon destroyed them, along with several tomato seedlings while I was washing my hair. So I guess I'll just direct sow some out in the dye garden. Next week I want to get carrots, gourds and pumpkins planted, and transfer out all of my starts (onions, tomatoes, peppers) then the week after that I want to try and plant my corn.