Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2014, 08:48 AM   #11
Dani_Phen's Avatar
Dani_Phen
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,771
My Mood:
Re: How do you do it with little ones under foot?

Thanks ladies! I don't know enough people yet to hire a helper. I do have a friend though who might help out watching the older two kids one day a week for me.

Hubby leaves a daylight to work (farm). My kids are used to being outside because of the home farm we go to work each weekend and for a few weeks in the summer. I don't have much help from family. Both my mom and MIL are unstable so it's hit and miss whether or not they can help…that and they live 1.5 hrs away.

We live in Adams County!

Advertisement

__________________
Danielle. Farmers wife. Homesteader. College student --> wildlife biologist wanna be. Fitness is my drug. Breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma to 4 awesome kids under the age of 6.
Want to follow our crazy life?
www.simplemountainmama.wordpress.com
Dani_Phen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 02:17 PM   #12
tnhoover's Avatar
tnhoover
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani_Phen

We live in Adams County!
We live in York!
tnhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 04:50 PM   #13
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 16,561
Re: How do you do it with little ones under foot?

It gets easier once they are older. We have 5 kids from 7-14 years old and they all help work the farm. Everyone sorta wanders in and out playing and working. I pack snacks and lunches and we spend the day there working and playing. The hardest part is Fridays when I pick for the farmer's market and end up with at least a few of them under foot whining about something. No. Scratch that. The worst part is the muddy wet snow pants and boots and mittens. Muddy farm boots line my entryway daily.
__________________
3rockstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 09:17 AM   #14
Dani_Phen's Avatar
Dani_Phen
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,771
My Mood:
Re: How do you do it with little ones under foot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rockstars View Post
It gets easier once they are older. We have 5 kids from 7-14 years old and they all help work the farm. Everyone sorta wanders in and out playing and working. I pack snacks and lunches and we spend the day there working and playing. The hardest part is Fridays when I pick for the farmer's market and end up with at least a few of them under foot whining about something. No. Scratch that. The worst part is the muddy wet snow pants and boots and mittens. Muddy farm boots line my entryway daily.
Yeah. The muddy snow boots and pants are really annoying. I keep a small broom and dust pan with a long handle by the door to sweep up dried mud and dirt and I keep a long rug there BUT it's always dirty and messy. I'm starting to feel like if I have company over they are just going to have to deal. We live on a farm and there's no way to keep the floor clean all of the time.

We are thinking about having a fourth (and last) child but I'm starting to really want to be done having kids so I can by pass the really stressful years and move on with farming. It's SO hard right now. Right now we are planting and last night as hubby was prepping the field, I wore the newbie (3weeks old). My 16 month old was just trying to eat spiders, bugs and mud. My 3 y/o is extremely strong willed and doesn't listen no matter what kind of discipline we've tried. (He's 10x harder than my second is…even at her age he was way harder to deal with.) He kept taking off, trying to ride his bike up the road and then kept running out in the field and I was so scared my hubby wouldn't see him and would hit him. Eventually I had to bring the kids in and let my hubby finish out there. I'm not sure I want to go through this one more time…lol. It wouldn't be so bad if my 3 y/o listened a little better…though right now he MAY just be acting out because of the newbie and because he knows it's hard for me to run after him and my 16 month old while carrying the newbie. I'm hoping once we get the swing set, kiddie pool and sandbox set up here in the next month (waiting on hubby to have a chance), he'll stay busy playing a little better. By fall we will have a fence around the yard with a lock I can let the two older ones play in…but that doesn't really help for now.
__________________
Danielle. Farmers wife. Homesteader. College student --> wildlife biologist wanna be. Fitness is my drug. Breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma to 4 awesome kids under the age of 6.
Want to follow our crazy life?
www.simplemountainmama.wordpress.com
Dani_Phen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 08:16 PM   #15
Rdesonia's Avatar
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 8,224
My Mood:
Re: How do you do it with little ones under foot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani_Phen View Post
Yeah. The muddy snow boots and pants are really annoying. I keep a small broom and dust pan with a long handle by the door to sweep up dried mud and dirt and I keep a long rug there BUT it's always dirty and messy. I'm starting to feel like if I have company over they are just going to have to deal. We live on a farm and there's no way to keep the floor clean all of the time.

We are thinking about having a fourth (and last) child but I'm starting to really want to be done having kids so I can by pass the really stressful years and move on with farming. It's SO hard right now. Right now we are planting and last night as hubby was prepping the field, I wore the newbie (3weeks old). My 16 month old was just trying to eat spiders, bugs and mud. My 3 y/o is extremely strong willed and doesn't listen no matter what kind of discipline we've tried. (He's 10x harder than my second is…even at her age he was way harder to deal with.) He kept taking off, trying to ride his bike up the road and then kept running out in the field and I was so scared my hubby wouldn't see him and would hit him. Eventually I had to bring the kids in and let my hubby finish out there. I'm not sure I want to go through this one more time…lol. It wouldn't be so bad if my 3 y/o listened a little better…though right now he MAY just be acting out because of the newbie and because he knows it's hard for me to run after him and my 16 month old while carrying the newbie. I'm hoping once we get the swing set, kiddie pool and sandbox set up here in the next month (waiting on hubby to have a chance), he'll stay busy playing a little better. By fall we will have a fence around the yard with a lock I can let the two older ones play in…but that doesn't really help for now.
I know some people are not a fan but I happen to like backpack style leashes for kids. I used one for my DD & clipped it to the clothesline. She could play & was happy. It was right next to the garden so I could do stuff. I was 10 to 20 feet away at all times. (The child could get tangled so I'd never leave a kid unsupervised) Other times I clipped it to me so she was stuck next to me (but I could still move around & do things like weed or pick veggies) She is a runner. She learned very fast that she had to stay by me.

I used one for DS also but mostly for hiking in the woods & stuff. I also used it at parades where they throw candy to the kids. He could still go gather the candy close by but not run out too far.

You have your hands full so you might want to consider it as an option especially as him running could create safety issues.
__________________
Sahm married to a wonderful man who does the dishes with DS 11/18/02 and DD 7/11/11

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:16 AM   #16
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 16,561
Re: How do you do it with little ones under foot?

Ya know I've been thinking about this thread and it actually came up in conversation yesterday with friends of ours. This isn't usually popular in this day and age but my kids are really just allowed to free range. I trust every single one of them to take care of each other and themselves and make smart choices. Our farm property dates back to 1856 and there's things that can hurt the kids out there. But we have 16 acres. I'm not about to force them all to stay in the 6 that we have under cultivation at the moment. Just last week my 7 year olds found a gun. It was a very old pistol they dug up in the woods. They left it on the ground, called the 14 year old over who dug it up and carried it with her finger off the trigger, gun pointed down, to my boyfriend to check it out before they played with it. Perfect response.....because we let them shoot. They know gun safety. Yesterday they rode dirt bikes and 4wheelers and go-karts on a dirt bike track and through the woods on a friend's property. The one who rolled the go-kart???? My boyfriend. That was it. No injuries all day. When we are at the farm the kids go out with small pocket knives and such. I don't worry. We have only a few rules. Don't cross any stone walls. Stay away from houses. Buddy up. Blow your whistles only in an emergency. Other than that, have a blast. If we hear whistles, we come RUNNING. FAST. If not they wander in and out checking on us and each other. They build forts. They climb trees. They cause havoc. They track animals. They just act like kids. We usually don't really see them until they get hungry. Sometimes they help, sometimes they don't. But the ability to free range and get into trouble and problem solve their way out of it really has cemented their bond with each other and a sense of independence. I don't think people give their kids enough credit for their innate sense of caution and wisdom. Yesterday I heard my 10 year old tell my 31 year old boyfriend that if he was going to raise some hell, he'd better put on a helmet. I heard our 12 year old friend tell the 7 year olds not to take the go-kart so high on the berm because they were going to ride into the ditch on the dirt bike track. No adults told them to slow down. They told each other how to be safe. And farm kids who are given the ability to free range without interference seem to all develop that innate sense of danger and how to avoid it. So I think if you give your kids the room and the trust they'll surprise you.
__________________
3rockstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:52 AM   #17
Dani_Phen's Avatar
Dani_Phen
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,771
My Mood:
Re: How do you do it with little ones under foot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdesonia View Post
I know some people are not a fan but I happen to like backpack style leashes for kids. I used one for my DD & clipped it to the clothesline. She could play & was happy. It was right next to the garden so I could do stuff. I was 10 to 20 feet away at all times. (The child could get tangled so I'd never leave a kid unsupervised) Other times I clipped it to me so she was stuck next to me (but I could still move around & do things like weed or pick veggies) She is a runner. She learned very fast that she had to stay by me.

I used one for DS also but mostly for hiking in the woods & stuff. I also used it at parades where they throw candy to the kids. He could still go gather the candy close by but not run out too far.

You have your hands full so you might want to consider it as an option especially as him running could create safety issues.
I use a harness with my 3 yo anytime we go out in public. My (almost) 17m/o stays right by my side and is such a good child. My 3 y/o stopped staying by my side as soon as he could walk. He's definitely a runner. Over this past weekend we were at a family event, at a historical park that is wayyyy back in the middle of no where. There was more traffic than usual in and out the lane leading to this place because it was a really nice day. Theres a lot of twists and turns back this lane and people don't drive as slow as they should to see other cars or kids so I wanted him to stay at the pavilion or in the woods close to it. Out of the blue he started to slowly walk away and when I turned around, I asked where he was going and he flat out started to run so I went to follow him and he ran faster. I had my newbie in the wrap. All of the young enough to run folks were holding babies. My mom had to get in her car to catch up with him because I was trying to run and hold the baby's head up against my chest so it didn't flop around. He ran 1/4 of a mile before I caught up with him and by then my mom had the car there to catch him. He does that when I take him outside here. I never believed people had kids quite that strong willed in real life…I always assumed the moms just didn't correct their kids. Joke was on me. I was strong willed and always told my mom she just never corrected me. HA! She had just given up is all. lol
I might buy a second harness to keep for outdoor stuff. I never thought of using it in the garden. By this fall there will be a fence up on our property so the kids can't escape as easily. It might work to attach him to my side so he has to stay close by JUST to get things picked and weeded. I can take him out while the younger two are napping during the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rockstars View Post
Ya know I've been thinking about this thread and it actually came up in conversation yesterday with friends of ours. This isn't usually popular in this day and age but my kids are really just allowed to free range. I trust every single one of them to take care of each other and themselves and make smart choices. Our farm property dates back to 1856 and there's things that can hurt the kids out there. But we have 16 acres. I'm not about to force them all to stay in the 6 that we have under cultivation at the moment. Just last week my 7 year olds found a gun. It was a very old pistol they dug up in the woods. They left it on the ground, called the 14 year old over who dug it up and carried it with her finger off the trigger, gun pointed down, to my boyfriend to check it out before they played with it. Perfect response.....because we let them shoot. They know gun safety. Yesterday they rode dirt bikes and 4wheelers and go-karts on a dirt bike track and through the woods on a friend's property. The one who rolled the go-kart???? My boyfriend. That was it. No injuries all day. When we are at the farm the kids go out with small pocket knives and such. I don't worry. We have only a few rules. Don't cross any stone walls. Stay away from houses. Buddy up. Blow your whistles only in an emergency. Other than that, have a blast. If we hear whistles, we come RUNNING. FAST. If not they wander in and out checking on us and each other. They build forts. They climb trees. They cause havoc. They track animals. They just act like kids. We usually don't really see them until they get hungry. Sometimes they help, sometimes they don't. But the ability to free range and get into trouble and problem solve their way out of it really has cemented their bond with each other and a sense of independence. I don't think people give their kids enough credit for their innate sense of caution and wisdom. Yesterday I heard my 10 year old tell my 31 year old boyfriend that if he was going to raise some hell, he'd better put on a helmet. I heard our 12 year old friend tell the 7 year olds not to take the go-kart so high on the berm because they were going to ride into the ditch on the dirt bike track. No adults told them to slow down. They told each other how to be safe. And farm kids who are given the ability to free range without interference seem to all develop that innate sense of danger and how to avoid it. So I think if you give your kids the room and the trust they'll surprise you.
We have a farm in our hometown that we visit a lot to help with. There are 200 or so acres of land (fields, mountain, woods…) that is in the middle of no where. We let him run free a lot there because it's more safe. Here we live close to a road with a lot of tractor and trailers going in and out. It's not as busy as our old house but it's still track and trailers. We live next to a feed mill too and the big feed bins (with augers inside) have stairways that go up the sides of them for when they need maintenance and he tries to go over there some to visit the workers. He's talked about the steps and going up them already so I have to watch him closely. I am totally for letting kids run free. I tell people they are free range kids but in this case mine are 3, almost 17 months and newborn. I can't just let them go in our area. Curiosity would for sure kill the cat. He tried to take his bike up the road the other day and as he pulled onto the road, a track and trailer went by. I hollered for him and he stopped then told me it wouldn't have hurt too bad if he got hit. He's not quite old enough to just let run free yet. We grew up very much just free ranging between my home and a neighboring dairy farm. As long as we were in by a certain time or called from the farm once in a while, mom didn't care. I want my kids to have that experience too BUT they aren't quite mature enough for that yet….especially with how strong willed my first is.
__________________
Danielle. Farmers wife. Homesteader. College student --> wildlife biologist wanna be. Fitness is my drug. Breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma to 4 awesome kids under the age of 6.
Want to follow our crazy life?
www.simplemountainmama.wordpress.com
Dani_Phen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 03:28 PM   #18
dancinmomma
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 55
Re: How do you do it with little ones under foot?

Ooohh, farm life sounds so awesome! I grew up in the city, Los Angeles. Moved away when got married and have no desire to move back. Dh and I are looking to buy a house in a rural, farming area. I want my children to grow up exploring nature. I currently have a 4, 2, and 7 mos old. I can see it being pretty difficult to get things done in a farm...just getting the dishes and dinner done are pretty challenging! Soon your babes will be old enough to be outside more and/or help. For now, enjoy these sweet yeara....they go by so quickly!
dancinmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:16 PM   #19
JoyRenee's Avatar
JoyRenee
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Midwest, USA
Posts: 57
My Mood:
Re: How do you do it with little ones under foot?

Well if you're fencing in part of the yard for them then that is a start. I know my 2-year-old would run to a busy street if he wasn't contained so I'm grateful for my fenced yard (I supervise but little dude can outrun me). Baby wearing helps with the baby. I echo the bit about naptime.
JoyRenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright © 2005 - 2018 VIX-WomensForum LLC. All Rights Reserved.