Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-28-2015, 09:20 PM   #1
SamanthaLove88
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Smile Where are all my chicken mama's at?

I miss y'all!!! And I have babies just born and all sorts of chickening/homesteading stuff to talk about.

Advertisement

Old 05-29-2015, 05:37 AM   #2
Southernbelle
Registered Users
seller

Re: Where are all my chicken mama's at?

Well then, WHERE are the pictures?

I have a Silkie raising 11 chicks. 5 are Frizzed Easter Eggers and the other 6 were a mistake. I thought she was sitting on infertile eggs, but she wasn't. They are Silkie/Frizzled EE crosses. Those are going to be some ugly chickens!!

Then I have my Swedish Flower hen brooding. I got an Eggs for Education assortment from My Pet Chicken, so she's sitting on some of those, then I put the rest in the incubator. It was a neat assortment! I got bantam Cochin (including a Calico!), Seramas, Olive Eggers, Barred Blues, and Blue Easter Eggers. I also have some Crested Cream Legbars in the incubator. I candled at 10 days and all but a few were developing - best results from shipped eggs I ever saw!

I'm due in 5 weeks, so I waited until I had broody hens before hatching chicks. Less work for me!

Mama to 6: DD 6/00, DS 2/02, DD 11/05, DS 12/10, DS 5/14 and DD 7/15
3 angel babies from miscarriages
Southernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 06:35 AM   #3
SamanthaLove88
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

That's awesome!!!! And I LOVEEEE frizzles, they may end up actually being cute. I had an ugly that ended up being absolutely adorable! As for my baby pix...Here they are:

:1st one is a blue/lavender orpington

:easter egger

:blue/lavender silkie

:easter egger/cochin mix

:sumatra
Old 05-30-2015, 06:37 AM   #4
SamanthaLove88
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

And I must see these chicks when they are born! The second batch sounds like they are going to be STUNNING!!!!! I, also do natural hatch. Takes all the complications out and I have an extremely better success rate! My second batch I'm hatching for a friend is due in 2 weeks too!

Last edited by SamanthaLove88; 05-30-2015 at 06:38 AM. Reason: add on
SamanthaLove88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:46 PM   #5
dancinmomma
Registered Users
seller

Oh, those chicks are so adorable!!! I want to raise chickens so badly! We love the fresh eggs I get from the farmers market and our children will learn so much (us too, of course) caring for them! Thank you all for the awesome information. I will be stalking all of your chicken posts! hehe
dancinmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 11:12 AM   #6
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our chickens are braving the winter weather. They didn't love the foot of snow we got least week. They wouldn't come out of the coop!!

My Avon Earn giftcards with Swagbucks My Blog - Change Jar Blog
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 11:13 PM   #7
babyleon
Registered Users
seller

I got our first chicks ever in November. We started with 3 now i have 13.
babyleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 03:55 PM   #8
oregonmom
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

We just picked out our first 2 bannies. We are very excited. Our feed store is getting a few more shipments of some other breeds later this month and into early April, and we are hoping to pick up a couple more when they came in. The options are speckled sussex, Jersy black giant, maran, Austra White, black Australorp and Buff Orpington. Anyone recommend any one or two of those breeds over any others? We are wanting around 6 chickens in total for this year. We are wanting them just for eggs, not really for meat.
Old 03-10-2016, 12:15 PM   #9
JadeScarlet
Registered Users

I'm just jumping in to ask a possibly crazy question.

For someone who lives in a city with a small back yard who likes the idea of having some chickens but in truth knows absolutely nothing about it at all, where could they go to get some real honest advice.

And I did check and we are legally allowed to keep chickens but not pigs. My neighbors would probably think I was crazy, but I just found out one in the next block does biointensive gardening in his back yard and he feeds his whole family plus donates extra food to his church. I'm also trying this with not as much success but it is all a learning process.

I could probably never get away with it, my husband would freak out. But I can dream, right? Some day we might move further away from the city and have more space, maybe I can have my chickens then?
Old 03-10-2016, 01:54 PM   #10
oregonmom
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeScarlet View Post
I'm just jumping in to ask a possibly crazy question.

For someone who lives in a city with a small back yard who likes the idea of having some chickens but in truth knows absolutely nothing about it at all, where could they go to get some real honest advice.

And I did check and we are legally allowed to keep chickens but not pigs. My neighbors would probably think I was crazy, but I just found out one in the next block does biointensive gardening in his back yard and he feeds his whole family plus donates extra food to his church. I'm also trying this with not as much success but it is all a learning process.

I could probably never get away with it, my husband would freak out. But I can dream, right? Some day we might move further away from the city and have more space, maybe I can have my chickens then?
If you have not check out http://www.backyardchickens.com I would go there. They have tons of info and lots of helpful people, but make sure that if you join and ask questions that you well search out your question to make sure it has not been asked before. Some of the people on there are very snippy when questions have already been answered and someone asked them again.
I have dreamed of having chickens for almost 14 years now and we are finally in a place where we feel safe starting our flock. Best of luck to you in getting your dream started, even if it is just researching for a while.