Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-25-2016, 06:19 PM   #1
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:
Beef cow

We have a large hog farm, 5 goats(for milk and fiber), 1 lamb(for fiber), 20 chickens, 4 ducks.
We typically buy 1/2 cow every year but we are contemplating getting a calf and raising it ourself.
It looks like our local auction house they typically sell for around $150, I think we could mostly pasture feed, and then processing would be around $400. So seems like a great price for raising our own beef. Anything else I should be considering? We would likely sell 1/2 the cow to family since we also butcher hogs and don't have enough freezer space for all that ☺️

Advertisement

Old 06-25-2016, 07:51 PM   #2
abh5e8
Registered Users

Re: Beef cow

How much hay would you need? And could you grow/cut/bail your own? That could really affect your costs.
Old 06-26-2016, 06:27 AM   #3
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by abh5e8
How much hay would you need? And could you grow/cut/bail your own? That could really affect your costs.
I'm hoping it would mostly graze, but we do have the ability to grow/cut/bale if we needed to.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:25 PM   #4
amindee
Registered Users
seller

Maybe consider a small breed like a dexter. Less food costs and if you do some intense rotational grazing you could easily keep 1 cow on 1 acre. There would be some hay needed during winter most likely, but with 1 animal even if you had to purchase hay at $20/large bale, you probably wouldn't need more that 5-6 bales. Cows are not that hard to keep in like goats or pigs. A single string of electric are wire would work. We just replaced our fence charger for about $60 or a solar charger is around $250. With a small breed you may even be able to keep the whole animal. We also use mineral block for our cows. I'm not sure how much it costs. Dexters are also very docile and are dual purpose. So you could feasibly get a bred cow and raise her offspring for beef and milk her.
amindee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 05:05 PM   #5
greenacres
Registered Users
seller

Don't forget about the small, but important cost of fly treatment,wormer,and mineral/salt blocks(those blocks can be exspensive). We're raising out two Scottish Highland, we got away with only 3 round bales last winter, we had a mild winter though and still had some green in the pastures up until December. We have about 4 acres total for the 2 Scottish. I think it's a great idea!
Old 09-03-2016, 12:23 PM   #6
Browncow
Registered Users

For $150 I assume you're talking about buying a bottle baby? You'll have to buy milk replacer for at least 6 weeks and then grass finishing it will take close to two years or more depending on the breed.
Browncow is offline   Reply With Quote